MD 3.5s/3.6c upward trend, 517, +research. School list check

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Happyface025

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Posted about a year ago but significant changes to ECs since then. School list at bottom. Thank you!

GPA
1st university: 2.7 (Chemistry, Bio I, Calc)
Community College: 3.9 (O Chem, Physics, Bio II, Calc)
2nd university (similar ranking to first): 3.94c/4.00s (Molecular & Cell Bio Major, Pysch Minor)
Science: 3.5, Cumulative: 3.6

MCAT: 517 (130,127,130,130)

Residency: CA (Undergrad in MA)

Ethnicity: White

Extra Curriculars
*All hours are projected for those that would be accumulated through July 2019

Research:
2000 hours CRC/RA in Neurology at a top 5. Data collection (EEG, MRI, MEG), informed consenting, data analysis.
-- 1 middle author paper (accepted), 1 first author paper (should be out before June), 1 first author poster @ national conference (was selected for poster walking tour)
2. 3500 hours CRC in trauma/critical care at separate top 5's level I trauma center. Collecting and running blood and urine samples in trauma bay, OR, and ICU. Informed consent of patients and surrogates. Extensive chart review for data collection. County hospital with hugely diverse trauma population. (current)

Clinical Experience:
36 hours volunteering in orthopedics clinic
100 hours volunteering emergency department
** For my current CRC position, I am in the hospital the majority of the time (I wear scrubs and have a pager). Would I count any hours of this position as clinical experience rather than toward research hours? I have learned an immeasurable amount from this position in only a few months, I can't imagine it not counting toward clinical experience.
*Will be training my puppy to be a hospital visitor but this will not be in time for primaries unfortunately, but something I could have on secondaries.

Shadowing
:
50 hours neurology
35 hours pulmonary/MICU
20 hours surgery (neuro+trauma+ortho)

Non-Clinical Volunteering:
200 hours SPCA (dog adoption center and mobile vaccine clinic in undeserved communities)

Other Hobbies:
Snowboarding, Fitness, Ceramics, Reading Fiction

Letters:
5+ star from first PI
5+ star from second PI
4+ star from inquiry lab course instructor (post-doc; each student does independent project)
4 star from neurobio professor

SCHOOL LIST
*Breakdown based loosely off of WedgeDawg. Application costs are not a concern so added all the low yields. Are there any other mid/mig-high tier schools that would like me? Are there high/top schools that I should swap out for ones that would be a better fit?

Harvard
UCSF
Chicago

High
UCLA
UCSD
Mt Sinai
NYU
Emory

Mid (Target?)
USC Keck
Albert Einstein
Hofstra
UVA

Low
Miami Miller
SUNY Downstate
Stony Brook

State
Davis
Irvine

Low Yield
Tulane (Parent went here for undergrad)
BU (Undergrad in Boston)
Tufts (Undergrad in Boston)
Drexel (Whole family in East PA)
Temple (Whole family in East PA)
Thomas Jefferson (Whole family in East PA)
George Washington
Georgetown
Loyola
NYMC
Rosalind Franklin

Members don't see this ad.

Are you wanting to go MD/PHD route?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you wanting to go MD/PHD route?

I have not really considered MD/PhD as my GPA is quite low for that applicant pool, though I'm very interested in academic medicine and being involved with translational/clinical research projects.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just wanted to make sure. You are shooting high for a few of the schools, but there are people here far more knowledgeable than me that can comment. Your extensive research exp certainly grabs attn more so than other areas of your app, if I’m being honest.

Best of luck to you.

Just wanted to make sure. You are shooting high for a few of the schools, but there are people here far more knowledgeable than me that can comment. Your extensive research exp certainly grabs attn more so than other areas of your app, if I’m being honest.

Best of luck to you.

Thank you for the feedback! I will certainly try to find an opportunity to diversify my activities.