3.6 GPA, 512 MCAT, Non-traditional student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dreytonk

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Finished my BA in biology from the University of Florida. Did this online as I’m working full time as and couldn’t quit my job for school. Currently 27. Stats:

White Male
3.6 GPA
512 MCAT
~ 2,000 clinical hours as OR tech
~ 100 research hours
~ 200 clinical volunteer hours
Started a scholarship fund that asks participants to submit essays on how they’ve coped with depression. Was going to use their answers for future research studies, but haven’t had the luck yet. I’ve done it 3 years and given away $3,000 in 3 separate scholarship awards. All were crowd funded.

MISSING a couple prerequisites and I was going to take those at a community college close to home. I have 3, but may take up to 5-6 to strengthen my application.

What are my chances? Looking to apply next year.

Members don't see this ad.

What is your sGPA? Are you interested in any areas of the country outside of Florida?

My GPA and sGPA are both at 3.6! And yes, I’m interested everywhere really. I’m okay with moving. No kids but I have a very supportive girlfriend. Hopefully the extra prerequisites I take at a community college will bring my sGPA up though.

Members don't see this ad :)
You should receive interviews at some of your Florida schools so apply to ALL of them (including NOVA MD-new school). For OOS schools consider all these:
Vermont
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Seton Hall
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
George Washington
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Rosalind Franklin
Creighton
Tulane

Reactions: 1 user
Sweet baby Jesus, 27 is not non-traditional. Here it's fine, but talk about your experiences, things you've done, things that may make you different from the rest of your class. At best you are 2 years older than average. I say this with love, get the wrong person spun up in your interview (me) and you'll be toast.

You should receive interviews at some of your Florida schools so apply to ALL of them (including NOVA MD-new school). For OOS schools consider all these:
Vermont
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Seton Hall
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
George Washington
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Rosalind Franklin
Creighton
Tulane

Wow really? I didn’t think I could get into any of these schools. I figured I’d have to apply to some no name school. Thank you for the list!!!!

Sweet baby Jesus, 27 is not non-traditional. Here it's fine, but talk about your experiences, things you've done, things that may make you different from the rest of your class. At best you are 2 years older than average. I say this with love, get the wrong person spun up in your interview (me) and you'll be toast.

Well thank you, that makes me feel a little better. ;) I meant non-traditional as in just finishing my bachelors at 27 while most people my age are already in residency. I have some great experiences to talk about. Had a 2.6 GPA in high school, bankrupted at 21, fought through depression, etc. In terms of experience related to this work, I’ll mention my OR experience as much as possible and all. I was considering going back for my masters in biology as I didn’t think I was even competitive

Well thank you, that makes me feel a little better. ;) I meant non-traditional as in just finishing my bachelors at 27 while most people my age are already in residency. I have some great experiences to talk about. Had a 2.6 GPA in high school, bankrupted at 21, fought through depression, etc. In terms of experience related to this work, I’ll mention my OR experience as much as possible and all. I was considering going back for my masters in biology as I didn’t think I was even competitive

Ok, no. We need to massage these ideas of yours. First, most people are not in residency at 27, as I've said the average age at most medical schools is 25. 2.6 in high school, nada, taking some liberty here, but you are the first person in your family to attend college. Bankrupt, nada, again liberty, supported myself and my grandmother on a salary of $200 per week; you'll have to work on this one further obviously. Fought through depression, nada, members of your family (you are part of your family) fought depression, this was what lead you to explore the medical field. You began working in the OR and here you are, because doctors... As for the master's, I always planned to complete my master's degree, because my experience may be unique and that made you more competitive. Get it?

Ok, no. We need to massage these ideas of yours. First, most people are not in residency at 27, as I've said the average age at most medical schools is 25. 2.6 in high school, nada, taking some liberty here, but you are the first person in your family to attend college. Bankrupt, nada, again liberty, supported myself and my grandmother on a salary of $200 per week; you'll have to work on this one further obviously. Fought through depression, nada, members of your family (you are part of your family) fought depression, this was what lead you to explore the medical field. You began working in the OR and here you are, because doctors... As for the master's, I always planned to complete my master's degree, because my experience may be unique and that made you more competitive. Get it?

Yes, totally. Appreciate you being honest!!! I’m sure the cliche stuff would be more bothersome than enjoyable and different to hear

Yes, totally. Appreciate you being honest!!! I’m sure the cliche stuff would be more bothersome than enjoyable and different to hear

Exactly, nobody likes the pathetic bitch, but they love the underdog.

Reactions: 1 user