3.6 uGPA 3.54 sGPA 503 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

beluga1326

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a rising senior with a 3.6 uGPA, 3.54 sGPA
I also suffered poor grades my sophomore year first semester, but since then, it has been an upward trend.
503 MCAT: C/P 126, CARS 126, Bio 124, P/S 127

EC: vice president of health org, active member of a 5013c, president of religious group
Clinical/shadowing: 150 hours of hospital volunteering, 50 hours of shadowing
Lab experience: 2 summers of lab work (300+ hours)
Non-clinical: monthly nursing home volunteer, various school event volunteering, 1 year administrative job at my college, starting an office job at my major's office this summer

I'm signed up to take the MCAT again in mid August, but I'm worried that it'd be too late and I shouldn't apply this cycle anymore. I plan on applying to my state's schools and possibly a few DO schools and out of state med schools. I have started my personal statements, but again, my concern is that I shouldn't apply to this cycle if I am not competitive or don't have a chance. Any feedback would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

What are your career goals? an August MCAT will put you at a disadvantage for MD, but you will be fine with DO (even w current MCAT). If you do not mind taking a gap year, you could raise your GPA (assuming do well senior year), retake the MCAT (you will be competitive with 509+), and do some more EC and what not.

Also, what is your state of residence

I am aiming for a MD, interested in primary care as well as neonatology. I live in Texas as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
@PatchAdams25 Do you think the 124 in Bio/Biochem will hurt OP's chances at DO?

I am not as familiar with Texas so someone else should comment. I didn't notice the 124 in B/B, OP that won't cut it in B/B for MD schools..... It may get him in to door at some DO because his overall score is good and so is GPA. But his retake in August will be fine for DO but MD probably won't be fruitful this year

I am aiming for a MD, interested in primary care as well as neonatology. I live in Texas as well.

If you want MD you should wait a year, get good grades senior year and study hard for your MCAT. If you get a 31+ you will be competitive for some MD

Would that be the generally held view for my case? I was wondering if I should go ahead and apply, if I don't get invited for interviews, I could ask admissions what I can improve on/need more of and see if I should do a post bacc or not. I am a nontraditional applicant - business major.

Would that be the generally held view for my case? I was wondering if I should go ahead and apply, if I don't get invited for interviews, I could ask admissions what I can improve on/need more of and see if I should do a post bacc or not. I am a nontraditional applicant - business major.

I don't think a post bacc is necessary because your GPA is within a decent range. It would be the MCAT score that would hold you back from admission. I am guessing as a business major you did not take very many upper level science classes, and that shows in your B/B score. This will be a concern to adcoms. Only way to fix it is score better on your retake (even if you could get a 126 in B/B, but improve your other areas to a range within MD admissions). You would do better holding off, you do not want to be a reapplicant. Again, ask advice from some of the adcoms here @Goro @gonnif @gyngyn

@beluga1326 do you mean apply to just MD or MD and DO?
I would highly prefer doing MD.

I don't think a post bacc is necessary because your GPA is within a decent range. It would be the MCAT score that would hold you back from admission. I am guessing as a business major you did not take very many upper level science classes, and that shows in your B/B score. This will be a concern to adcoms. Only way to fix it is score better on your retake (even if you could get a 126 in B/B, but improve your other areas to a range within MD admissions). You would do better holding off, you do not want to be a reapplicant. Again, ask advice from some of the adcoms here @Goro @gonnif @gyngyn
Is there a stigma with being a reapplicant? Do admissions look unfavorably upon reapplicants?

Also, if I received a C in ochem 1, should I retake it this year before I apply? Or would my MCAT score make up for it - granted I get a 508+ and a high C/P and higher B/B?

I would highly prefer doing MD.

Is there a stigma with being a reapplicant? Do admissions look unfavorably upon reapplicants?

Also, if I received a C in ochem 1, should I retake it this year before I apply? Or would my MCAT score make up for it - granted I get a 508+ and a high C/P and higher B/B?

It is more difficult to gain an acceptance to a school if you are a reapplicant there: they will keep your previous file on record and will want to see significant improvements. You do not need to retake a C in ochem, your GPA is fine. Your whole situation is dependent on MCAT score within range and good EC's

100% with my sage colleague.

the OP states 3.6/3.5 is was lowered by poor freshman year, so he/she is more like a 3.7/3.6 (show us your trends) . Even less reason for postbacc

August is too late for retake, but just settling for the few schools seems silly when the problem is obvious and can be fixed for next cycle. I also think your EC could be bolstered as well.

If you're in Texas apply to TCOM. Sure its DO, but from a statewide view, besides UTSW and BCM most of the other Texas schools are on relatively equal footing with regards to the Match. If you really want MD, retake MCAT and shoot for that 508/509+. The average for the MD schools keeps rising every year

As well as our colleagues parsley, rosemary and thyme
Between this and your Buffalo Springfield reference, you are REALLY showing your age. :) And the fact that I know them, I must also be showing mine. :rolleyes:

the OP states 3.6/3.5 is was lowered by poor freshman year, so he/she is more like a 3.7/3.6 (show us your trends) . Even less reason for postbacc

August is too late for retake, but just settling for the few schools seems silly when the problem is obvious and can be fixed for next cycle. I also think your EC could be bolstered as well.

Thank you all for your advice. Can you suggest any ways to boost my ECs? I thought generally they were fine, but I am open to investing time in that area. I realize that it may be difficult to add things since it will be my last year in undergrad and won't be able to show longevity in any new ECs I add.

Last edited:
Thank you all for your advice. Can you suggest any ways to boost my ECs? I thought generally they were fine, but I am open to investing time in that area. I realize that it may be difficult to add things since it will be my last year in undergrad and won't be able to show longevity in any new ECs I add.

1 year is plenty of time to add a meaningful experience or two! Maybe try to do big brothers/big sisters for the school year? The nursing home experience is great, maybe try to broaden it to helping a different subset of people... Try to get another 50-100 hours or so of clinical experience as well... Your research is adequate so I would focus on service to others and a little more clinical exp... Special olympics is another great one.. they have a lot of weekend activities that are easy... Also, another fun one I did my spring semester of senior year was coach a youth baseball team with some friends, it was in an underserved area so we had a lot of duties like driving kids to/from practice as well as having the joy of coaching them!

This may be a long shot, but could someone give an estimate of a good target MCAT score?

508 on the new one is about a 30 on the old for reference!

Update on this post: I did manage to raise my overall GPA and science GPA to ~3.66 and ~3.58 on the AMCAS/TMDSAS scale. I am planning to take the MCAT now in June and apply this cycle. Any thoughts on this? I am a little hesitant, because I was unsure if I should apply in May when TMDSAS first comes out and submit my MCAT score in July, if that would put me at a significant disadvantage.

Also, I am debating between working as a MA for a year or doing a post bacc. I suppose I could also take classes on the side while working as a MA, granted that would be difficult, and I'm not sure which classes I should take, or whether I should take any to begin with. Any thoughts, comments to the above two questions would be appreciated.