3.62 c/ 3.45s 510

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Indefinitely

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
x

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Obviously apply to Creighton and Minnesota. Go through MSAR and look at schools that have an MCAT median of no greater than 32 and accept a relatively high proportion of out of state applicants and who also have a GPA median of 3.6-3.75. After that, compile this list and choose ~25 or so that you like and post back here. After that, we can help you prune. You might also want to throw in 3-5 DO schools. Your stats are slightly below the medians for MD matriculants (3.7/31), but you're still within the okay range. I would put you at about 50-60% chance of an acceptance based on stats.

Here are some schools to help you get started:

Creighton
Minnesota
Quinnipiac (Netter)
EVMS
VA Tech
Albany
U AZ (both of them)
Drexel
Temple
Rush
RFU

MSAR will answer a ton of your questions. Target schools with an MCAT median in the 30-32 range that take at least 30% OOS as as starter. Start with U of Minnesota.

Something to consider: right now your sGPA is on the low side of things and your MCAT is also on the lower end of competitive at MD programs(30). Your state of residence while not CA also is rather neutral at best for your chances(only 22.6% of Minnesota applicants matriculate IS, the state school you have has relatively high median stats). In other words while you certainly don't have a CA type disadvantage, your state isn't really helping you here.

That doesn't mean you don't have a chance. But your odds would go up if either a) you raised that BCPM to 3.6 b) you retook the MCAT and hit 514+. I usually don't recommend re-taking 30+ scores, but when you have a 3.45 sGPA I think it is at least worth pondering to some extent do you think either of those options might be a possibility for you?

Members don't see this ad :)
Stats-wise, you could get into a MD program, but your MCAT is on par for the median, while your GPA is a bit lower.

First, apply to all of your state MD programs and your alma mater- I think that's only Minnesota.

Creighton
Minnesota

Now, we want to think about some low-yield private schools. Roseman and Seton Hall are both private and should recruit their first classes next year. Consider both of those schools. Then, research the schools on the following list and find the ones you really like for sincere and compelling reasons, and apply to those. These schools are all about interest since they get 10,000 apps from students like us.

Temple
Drexel
Jefferson
Loyola
Rush
Quinnipiac
EVMS
Albany
NYMC
Virginia Tech
TCMC

Then, you should also be applying D.O. Identify 10 of your favorite DO schools and apply to those.

Roseman will be interesting. Could very easily have very strong IS bias. And even if it doesn't, good god, just imagine how many apps a school in the middle of Las Vegas is going to get

I think Seton Hall is specifically made to address the physician shortage in NJ so I'd imagine they'll be pretty IS biased. Kind of like Cooper Rowan.

I would add Oakland, Western Michigan, GW, Wake Forest, Penn State, Medical College Wisconsin, VCU and Vermont to the lists you've gotten above. If you want some long shots to just throw into the mix as hail maries to increase your odds a little you could consider adding Tufts, Tulane, Miami, Georgetown, Saint Louis, U of Arizona, and Seton Hall to the list. That will all in all probably give you 25-30 MD applications and maybe the best way of maximizing chances for an MD acceptance.

Seton Hall is private, though. Private schools generally don't have much of an IS bias. At any rate, we don't know. They'll probably release a statement later on. At any rate, every low-yield private MD is going to get a ton of apps. If you want a 3.7/31 school that gets 500 apps and interviews 300 of them, move to the South.

I wouldn't go for 30 MD applications- probably 15 MD and 10 DO. That 3.45 sGPA means DO should be a major focus of your application. The thing about low-yield schools is that they're not just an interview lottery. The 10% of applicants that get interviews often have stats like yours, but they are able to clearly articulate a reason why that school is a great fit for them.

That's what I'm thinking based on my current app cycle, at any rate. Temple and Tulane wouldn't touch me with an 11-foot pole despite having a MCAT at their 90th percentile.

Seton Hall is private, though. Private schools generally don't have much of an IS bias. At any rate, we don't know. They'll probably release a statement later on. At any rate, every low-yield private MD is going to get a ton of apps. If you want a 3.7/31 school that gets 500 apps and interviews 300 of them, move to the South.

I wouldn't go for 30 MD applications- probably 15 MD and 10 DO. That 3.45 sGPA means DO should be a major focus of your application. The thing about low-yield schools is that they're not just an interview lottery. The 10% of applicants that get interviews often have stats like yours, but they are able to clearly articulate a reason why that school is a great fit for them.

That's what I'm thinking based on my current app cycle, at any rate. Temple and Tulane wouldn't touch me with an 11-foot pole despite having a MCAT at their 90th percentile.

So a couple things I guess

1) Many private schools have IS bias. I'm not sure why many on SDN think otherwise(not really talking about you just in general). Hell a school right next to Seton Hall TCMC is 80% IS and interviews half of IS applicants. My guess is Seton Hall ends up something like Cooper Rowan; about 3/4 IS.

2) I agree you need to be a fit for a school and it's all well and good to say only apply where you think you can fit in but the reality is there is an element of lottery to this game of admisison. You simply have no good way of knowing which school is going to be interested in you and think you will be a good fit in their opinion, not yours. We can always play the game of hindsight and look back at the results of an admission cycle and say "oh I can see why they were interested in me" but that is exactly what it is, hindsight. So that's why I'm a believer in when you are a borderline 3.5/30 type applicant apply to as many schools as you might possibly have a shot at for MD. I think there are at least 25 for the OP.

3) Also the DO cycle lasts longer than MD. You can easily have it so you burn through a ton of secondaries in June and July then take a break for a little bit. If you hear zilch from MD schools by mid-late September start filling up the DO apps. You don't need more than a dozen or so, OP as is would be a good candidate.

For the OP like I said about with a 3.5 and a 30, while your odds aren't awful, to improve your odds you want one of those things to go up. For many the MCAT is the easier one to improve. If they think they can hit 514+ on a retake they should give consideration to it.