DO 3.7, 499 MCAT Retake

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted971800

I have 2 Ws from a physics 1 course when I was in community college. I transferred to a university and got a C and did not retake it after that. I did however get a B in physics 2. I never struggled with any other course after that. I took my MCAT twice already and the first time I got a 492 and second time a 499 (practice tests scores were ranging from 494 - 504). I am retaking it again in couple months and just want to know if I have any chances at DO school if I can score at least a 505 on my 3rd try. I have decent ECs, nothing crazy.

Members don't see this ad.

Where is your state of residence ? Do you have any physician shadowing hours or clinical volunteering or employment hours with patient contact?

New Jersey. I have 114 hours shadowing a DO orthopedic surgeon and about 15 hours shadowing a primary care DO as well (still shadowing him and he is willing to write an LOR). I have about 100 hours volunteering at a physical therapy clinic and I also have 126 hours from a cardiac rehab facility. I also have over 200 hours of nonclinical volunteering working with the underserved.

Members don't see this ad :)
Two MCATs at <500 is going to be a bitter pill for schools to swallow. Regardless of ECs or anything else, I believe your chances hinge upon your 3rd MCAT attempt. If you knock it out of the park (507+) and can articulate why your first two attempts were less than stellar, you probably stand a decent shot.

The key really is your next MCAT. Seriously, your practice scores are all over the place still and even your highest is not what I would expect to please admission boards. Before you take the MCAT again be absolutely certain that you can get what you need.

Reactions: 1 user
New Jersey. I have 114 hours shadowing a DO orthopedic surgeon and about 15 hours shadowing a primary care DO as well (still shadowing him and he is willing to write an LOR). I have about 100 hours volunteering at a physical therapy clinic and I also have 126 hours from a cardiac rehab facility. I also have over 200 hours of nonclinical volunteering working with the underserved.
The risk with retaking the MCAT is that, based on your practice scores, you may score higher but you could score lower. Scoring lower would hurt your chances. With your current 499 you could receive interviews at some DO schools. I suggest applying to all these:
Rowan COM
ACOM
ARCOM
NYIT-Arkansas
ICOM
BCOM
UIWSOM
WCU-COM
PCOM Georgia and South Georgia
LMU-DCOM
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
LUCOM
VCOM (all 3 schools)
CUSOM
LECOM (all schools)
Most of these schools have MCAT medians in the 498 to 502 range so you should receive some interviews.You have a good GPA which should attract attention at some schools. Apply in June and submit all your secondaries by July.

Reactions: 1 user
Two MCATs at <500 is going to be a bitter pill for schools to swallow. Regardless of ECs or anything else, I believe your chances hinge upon your 3rd MCAT attempt. If you knock it out of the park (507+) and can articulate why your first two attempts were less than stellar, you probably stand a decent shot.

The key really is your next MCAT. Seriously, your practice scores are all over the place still and even your highest is not what I would expect to please admission boards. Before you take the MCAT again be absolutely certain that you can get what you need.

Thanks for the advice. I took the MCAT the first time because I have done well in school overall and thought I wouldn't struggle too much on the MCAT (practice scores had an upward trend). On my second try I studied a lot more, but I guess it was not enough. I am willing to change my study habits though and perhaps try other strategies on improving.

The risk with retaking the MCAT is that, based on your practice scores, you may score higher but you could score lower. Scoring lower would hurt your chances. With your current 499 you could receive interviews at some DO schools. I suggest applying to all these:
Rowan COM
ACOM
ARCOM
NYIT-Arkansas
ICOM
BCOM
UIWSOM
WCU-COM
PCOM Georgia and South Georgia
LMU-DCOM
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
LUCOM
VCOM (all 3 schools)
CUSOM
LECOM (all schools)
Most of these schools have MCAT medians in the 498 to 502 range so you should receive some interviews.You have a good GPA which should attract attention at some schools. Apply in June and submit all your secondaries by July.

Thank you so much, I really appreciate the help. Though I have registered for the MCAT, I will only take it again if I see my practice scores in the 505-510 area.