wisco92

2+ Year Member
May 3, 2016
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
About: Nontrad w/ postbacc. Have worked 20 hrs per week as a clinical assistant last year and a half in a clinic so plenty of clinical experience.

1 Wisconsin
2 Medical College of Wisconsin
3 Georgetown
4 UVA
5 VCU
6 Tufts
7 USC
8 Stanford
9 UCSD
10 UCLA
11 Rosalind Franklin
12 Rush
13 Loyola
14 Albert Einstein
15 Mount Sinai
16 Wake Forest
17 USF
18 U of Miami
19 Dartmouth
20 UVM
21 Drexel
22 Jefferson
23 Tulane
24 Colorado
25 Oregon
26 Brown
27 Vanderbilt
28 U of Michigan
29 Cornell

Any input on my list would be appreciated!

Last edited:

gyngyn

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
I count 9 schools on your list where you have a fair to good chance of an interview.
That should be enough.

Faha

7+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2012
Status
Attending Physician
These schools are unlikely with your MCAT score. Even CA residents would have a difficult time receiving an acceptance to a CA school with a MCAT of 511.
4UVA
7 USC
8 Stanford
9 UCSD
10 UCLA
25 Oregon
26 Brown
27 Vanderbilt
28 U of Michigan
29 Cornell
You have at least 12 schools on your list where you have a reasonable chance for an interview. If you are applying this year you need to submit your application this week and all your secondaries by late September.

OP
W

wisco92

2+ Year Member
May 3, 2016
Status
These schools are unlikely with your MCAT score. Even CA residents would have a difficult time receiving an acceptance to a CA school with a MCAT of 511.
4UVA
7 USC
8 Stanford
9 UCSD
10 UCLA
25 Oregon
26 Brown
27 Vanderbilt
28 U of Michigan
29 Cornell
You have at least 12 schools on your list where you have a reasonable chance for an interview. If you are applying this year you need to submit your application this week and all your secondaries by late September.
Thank you Faha and @gyngyn - I really appreciate all the help!! I submitted my secondaries for these schools late July/early August (except for vandy and UCLA which I haven't gotten yet) but was concerned that I should have added some more lower tiers. There's no real advising with my program and in making my list I was just using MSAR and winging it.

Faha

7+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2012
Status
Attending Physician
You could add some more schools such as Oakland Beaumont, St. Louis, Creighton and Quinnipiac.

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
I suggest the following, but with no real ECs, you're probably going to be shut out this cycle.

U VM

Miami

St. Louis

Albany

Rochester

Rush (note: very service/experience oriented with a 150hr service requirement. Avg student has 800 hours of community service, and >1800 hours of health care exposure.)

Rosy Franklin

BU

MCW

Hofstra

NYMC

VCU

EVMS

Wake Forest

Jefferson

Temple

Drexel

Creighton

George Washington

Tulane

Loyola

Oakland-B

U WI

Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)

Any DO program, starting with CCOM, MUCOM and DMU

OP
W

wisco92

2+ Year Member
May 3, 2016
Status
I suggest the following, but with no real ECs, you're probably going to be shut out this cycle.

U VM

Miami

St. Louis

Albany

Rochester

Rush (note: very service/experience oriented with a 150hr service requirement. Avg student has 800 hours of community service, and >1800 hours of health care exposure.)

Rosy Franklin

BU

MCW

Hofstra

NYMC

VCU

EVMS

Wake Forest

Jefferson

Temple

Drexel

Creighton

George Washington

Tulane

Loyola

Oakland-B

U WI

Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)

Any DO program, starting with CCOM, MUCOM and DMU
Hey Goro, thanks for the input. I should add that while we have minimal research and clinical volunteering I do have ECs:

-3 full day shadows with doctors in different specialties
-1500+ hrs working in a clinical setting w direct patient & doctor contact w/ 3 LORs
-2000+ hrs math tutoring (paid and volunteer)
-scribe once a month at a free clinic (~30 hrs)
-long distance racing for charity
-tons of music performance hours & leadership in musical groups (academic and nonacademic)

Would you still consider this insufficient ECs? Thanks!

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
Lack of research will hurt with research powerhouses like Duke, etc, but your other ECS look fine.

Hey Goro, thanks for the input. I should add that while we have minimal research and clinical volunteering I do have ECs:

-3 full day shadows with doctors in different specialties
-1500+ hrs working in a clinical setting w direct patient & doctor contact w/ 3 LORs
-2000+ hrs math tutoring (paid and volunteer)
-scribe once a month at a free clinic (~30 hrs)
-long distance racing for charity
-tons of music performance hours & leadership in musical groups (academic and nonacademic)

Would you still consider this insufficient ECs? Thanks!