3.74 cgpa, 3.92 sgpa, about to take MCAT, TX res, worried about EC's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jchan1012

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am thinking about applying for the 2015-2016 cycle for MD and DO schools but I am not sure if I should pay for all of the apps if I don't even stand a chance. I just graduated college and I started my track to med school two years ago (transferred from a business major to environmental science major). I plan to take the MCAT on August 22. I am extremely worried about my EC's and wanted to get your thoughts on my situation. I am also a resident of TX. Thank you in advance.

EXPERIENCE

Physical Pain and Rehabilitation Center,

Physical Therapist Intern/Assistant, Summer 2011, 2012, 2014 (900 hours)

Assisted patients with physical therapy exercises and taught them proper technique for home exercise. Prepared exercise sheets, recorded exercise data, and scheduled patient appointments. The center was owned by and worked closely with a PM&R (physical medicine and rehabilitation) physician.

Shadowed a Pediatrician for one week (10 hours)

Plan to volunteer at the UT Health Science Center for 20 hours per week in Fall 2015

Plan to shadow more doctors in Fall 2015 specifically PM&R

LEADERSHIP/VOLUNTEER/JOBS

Abandoned Little Angels, Houston TX
Organization that helps disabled children at orphanages in Vietnam.
Co-coordinator, Performer, Volunteer, member, 2005-present

Abandoned Little Angels Mission Trip, Vietnam
Mission Worker, July 2014
Traveled with a team of workers, priests, and a doctor to rural orphanages of Vietnam to distribute aid and medical supplies to children with disabilities.

Swimming Instructor, Bronx NY Spring 2012 (50 hours)
Gave swimming lessons to underprivileged children at the Fordham University swimming facility.

World Vision
Member, Spring 2014-present

Intramural Basketball
Captain 2012-2015

SKILLS/INTERESTS

DJ 2009-2013
Won competition to perform for University at Spring Weekend
Renewable Energy and Technologies, 3D Printing, Health and Fitness, Virtual Reality

I just wanted to know what you think my chances of getting into any TX schools are and if there are specifically any MD or DO schools that would fit my profile. I plan on applying to most of the TX schools but I am looking at out of state as well. Technically, I've only been doing Pre-med for two years, but it would be nice to start med school ASAP now that I know for sure that it is what I want to do.

I am studying for the MCAT now so I don't have much time for volunteering and shadowing at the moment.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited: