3.74 cumulative GPA 39R MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mr Castle

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, this is my first post. I am a Canadian pre-med and just quickly wondering my chances are. I know most of you are American, but general thoughts are welcome.

3.74 cumulative GPA
13PS, 11VR, 15BS MCAT

I am only in third year and hence my application GPA is lower because I don't get any of the bumps that fourth year students get. My extracurriculars are pretty good, I've done some research, student government positions, worked at a hospital as a support worker among other things.

Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi guys, this is my first post. I am a Canadian pre-med and just quickly wondering my chances are. I know most of you are American, but general thoughts are welcome.

I am only in third year and hence my application GPA is lower because I don't get any of the bumps that fourth year students get. My extracurriculars are pretty good, I've done some research, student government positions, worked at a hospital as a support worker among other things.

Thanks for the help!

Raise your MCAT to at least a 41 and you might have a shot at DO

Do you really need somebody to stroke your ego with this? You have a 39 with a great GPA. You'd have to completely bomb your interviews to not get in. I don't think you need me to tell you that though...

ouch...I've found in my experience that nothing is a sure thing and I would never consider myself to be a shoe-in for something this difficult. To each his own though.

Thanks anyways.

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe that was harsh, but the "what are my chances" thread is more for students who have less than stellar stats, high GPA/low MCAT or a low GPA/high MCAT (like me: 3.35 GPA 34 MCAT).

You have a 39. That falls somewhere in the top 1%. At top-tier schools, you will need fantastic, unique EC's to get in (because everybody who is considered for top-tier schools has insane numbers).

For mid-tier schools, I'd be really surprised if you weren't offered interviews at all of them with your numbers.

That makes sense. I think my EC's are probably the weakest part of my application. While I have some volunteer in emerg, and I am a research assistant, etc I don't think anything I've done is unique. I'm not the president of anything at my university for example. I'm hoping I can draw attention to some personal interests in my sketch (music, tutoring, etc) rather than try to blow them away with the activities themselves.

Is it possible to do this? Or do they ignore your 'personality' and look directly at the prestige of your EC's?

Sorry if I'm posing in the wrong place, as I said, this is the first thread I've made. Maybe an admin could move the thread if its in the wrong place?

Without really good EC's you would have a slim chance of getting into schools like Yale, Wash U or Harvard - even with a 39. However, as long as you have mediocre ECs you will have a very good chance of acceptance into a top 20 and an almost guaranteed entrance at the mid-tiers. You got a perfect score in bio for god's sake.

This is pretty ridiculous...you have a 39 mcat lol come on now this cant be a legit question

Just reply to Mcmaster, your verbal and gpa should get you an interview