3.75 / 510 Determining if I should go to Sackler or Reapply

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HouseMormontMD

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
This past cycle I applied late in August and only to 4 schools (no private). Was instant rejected at 1, had 2 interviews, and was waitlisted pre II at the other. I think I screwed myself in 1 of the interviews and then the other I thought I did fine. I am accepted to Sackler and I am already on my first gap year so I am determining if I should just go there or apply another year. I believe I would be accepted next cycle I just really don't want to do another gap year... I am so damn bored and sort of feel like I am wasting away.

-cGPA 3.75 sGPA 3.75 (Big upward trend, cGPA year1,2 - 3.5 / cGPA year3,4 - 3.93)
-MCAT 510 128 125 130 127
-Nevada resident
-White Male, Average University
-Clinical expierience includes about 2000 hours of scribing in a local emergency department, volunteering in a local clinic for disenfranchised, emt training,
-About 800 hours of research in a pharmacology lab, no publications, all within the past year
-Only shadowing expierience outside of scribing has been with a Trauma surgeon for about 50 or so hours.
-All nonclinical volunteering was done with my fraternity so there is no actual listing in my CV for it, I do have 100 hours at a hospital that is technically not clinical I guess... I just did patient discharge and paperwork
-Founding father of a social fraternity and held leadership positions throughout, was selected to be apart of the undergraduate dissection team in charge of doing full cadaver dissection for the undergraduate anatomy labs, was hired on to become a dissection leader and teaching assistant for the undergraduate anatomy labs currently, worked at the bookstore just for a random job, have some overseas expierience,
- Other random things is that I am an avid outdoors guy, always snowboarding during the season or hiking during the summer, very fit guy and into personal fitness. I never wrote about these things in my primary but might as well just state them

I am already on a gap year and am currently in the research lab and doing the anatomy stuff, if I decide to reapply I will also become a bar back somewhere but continue just doing the same ****.

Members don't see this ad.

You already have an acceptance - I'd recommend taking it since there's no guarantee that you'll get in somewhere next cycle - though I think if you applied more broadly you could.
If you're reapplying, you have to consider 'what have I done this past year to improve my application?' - Research is good, but isn't too big a deal for non-research intensive schools. Plus there's the down-the-road argument that if you're taking another year off, you'll forgo one year's worth of an attending salary.

You already have an acceptance - I'd recommend taking it since there's no guarantee that you'll get in somewhere next cycle - though I think if you applied more broadly you could.
If you're reapplying, you have to consider 'what have I done this past year to improve my application?' - Research is good, but isn't too big a deal for non-research intensive schools. Plus there's the down-the-road argument that if you're taking another year off, you'll forgo one year's worth of an attending salary.

The 2 new experiences on my application would be the 800 hours of research and shadowing the trauma surgeon... also employment because I would get a third job rather quickly as a bar back. I have tried to volunteer at some clinics but no one has responded to my applications.

Members don't see this ad :)
The 2 new experiences on my application would be the 800 hours of research and shadowing the trauma surgeon... also employment because I would get a third job rather quickly as a bar back. I have tried to volunteer at some clinics but no one has responded to my applications.

That'll definitely strengthen your application. Is there a specific reason as to why you don't want to attend the school from which you were accepted?

That'll definitely strengthen your application. Is there a specific reason as to why you don't want to attend the school from which you were accepted?

Sackler is not a US med school, and if OP wants to match in the US it would be far better to attend school in the states.

Reactions: 1 user
Sackler is not a US med school, and if OP wants to match in the US it would be far better to attend school in the states.
It is not USMD but it is highly recognized on the east coast so obtaining a residency is not really what I am worried about. I think this year they had 2 derm, 1 ortho, 1 optho, and the class size is only around 60

It is not USMD but it is highly recognized on the east coast so obtaining a residency is not really what I am worried about. I think this year they had 2 derm, 1 ortho, 1 optho, and the class size is only around 60

Edit: reading the adcoms' comments, I think you should accept Sackler's offer unless you have a very compelling reason to stay in the US for the next four years. Sounds like Sackler is in a pretty unique position to place its students in a US residency.

Last edited: