3.78 overall GPA, 34Q, extracurriculars non-diverse/lacking

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Luno

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all. I'm having difficulty in deciding whether or not to apply this cycle. My base stats are competitive, but my extracurriculars are heavily focused on research and are not diverse. Apologies for the wall of text in advance.

Rundown of my stats:
  • Graduated a mid-tier UC in March of this year, majored in biology
  • GPA of 3.78 (sci GPA is similar) showing an overall upward trend
  • MCAT: 34Q
  • Freshman/sophomore year: 2 years as a paid tech/research assistant in an ecology lab (10 hrs a week), no papers
  • Junior/senior year - 1.5 years as an unpaid research assistant in a respected neuroscience lab (~15 hours/wk). Research is finishing up and a publication is in the works, but won't be submitted for another few months at least.
  • Webmaster/Officer of a general biology club on campus, 1.5 years
  • Starting working as an emergency medical scribe a couple months ago, a rather competitive position here. 30hrs/week. I follow an ER doc's full shift and speak with over a dozen patients/day in the ER and create a detailed workup of each patient/doctor interaction.
  • Smattering of interesting hobbies/interests
  • Expecting strong letters of rec

As you might guess, I thought for a while that I wanted to go into research as a career path. After many hours spent on various research projects in different fields, I eventually came to the difficult (but well informed) decision that research would is not a good career choice for me. I do enjoy research, but it's certainly not my passion due to reasons I won't elaborate upon here.

Medical school had always been on my mind as a possibility based upon my curiosity involving medical science, but research took up most of my free time. I am loving my new position as a medical scribe - it allows me to hold a valuable position in the ER, see a broad spectrum of diseases/traumas, and regularly interact with both doctors and patients.

That said, I feel that I would be an incomplete applicant this cycle. I plan on keeping this job and starting other volunteer/leadership activities in the coming year. If I had more hours logged in my scribe position, I would feel more confident about my clinical experience. I suppose I can always write an update letter.

Any advice? Should I wait until next year and apply as a much stronger applicant? I figure that if I'm going to go through the arduous process of applying, I want a good chance of going where I'd like to. I was also considering applying narrowly to my top schools (saving $ and time) and simply apply broadly again next year as a stronger applicant if I don't make it in anywhere.

Members don't see this ad.

I would wait to apply. Your application would be much stronger after getting more volunteer hours. Right now, based on your application, it just looks like you decided on medicine at the very last minute. Not a good thing. I would also look into getting some community/non-medical volunteering and keeping up with personal hobbies/interests as well. Although not required, it is certainly a good thing to have and makes you look more well-rounded.

I agree that waiting a year is the most logical and likely-to-be-productive choice while you continue your med scribing, and add a community volunteer 4-ish hours a week, maybe moving into a leadership role eventually. Scribing has embedded shadowing, but I'd also spend a day with maybe two other docs, one of which is in office-based primary care. By a year from now your publication can be cited, too.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I'm starting to lean towards applying the next cycle as well. Any opinions on applying narrowly to a few schools this cycle, perhaps with an early decision thrown into the mix? I already have much of what I need set up.

Thanks for the advice, Mini and Cat.

Unpaid research assistant = volunteering... I say you go for it and apply broadly. Why not?

Unpaid research assistant = volunteering... I say you go for it and apply broadly. Why not?

Why wait? You have an awesome MCAT score and great GPA. And some other good stuff too. Your MCAT percentile is like 94% you'll get in. you trying to go to harvard? sitting out a year is uncencessary unless you have other plans