This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stu.dying

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm about to sit the MCAT and is it even possible to get in with say a 512 ish MCAT and 3.85 cGPA- I'm also Canadian for context and volunteer at a lab.

Members don't see this ad.

Sure it's possible. But your ECs will need to consist of a lot more than being Canadian and volunteering at a lab.

Reactions: 1 users
Do you want to go to medical school in the US or Canada? What are your other significant ECs? It's going to be hard for anyone to advise you w/o more information.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I thought it was insanely hard for international students to get in ANY med school in the US, much less Ivy. Is that incorrect?

I thought it was insanely hard for international students to get in ANY med school in the US, much less Ivy. Is that incorrect?

Do you want to go to medical school in the US or Canada? What are your other significant ECs? It's going to be hard for anyone to advise you w/o more information.
So I'm considering the US right now- I run a club for domestic abuse advocacy, volunteer at 2 different places at a hospital and that's it

So I'm considering the US right now- I run a club for domestic abuse advocacy, volunteer at 2 different places at a hospital and that's it

Those are good activities. What are your hours at each? I would add at least some research experience even if it is nothing super in depth or substantial. As long as your hours are good and you add the research experience, I feel you would be competitive at US MD and DO schools with your stats. However, you would likely have to apply very broadly given your international status (and as a result lack of state schools).

Those are good activities. What are your hours at each? I would add at least some research experience even if it is nothing super in depth or substantial. As long as your hours are good and you add the research experience, I feel you would be competitive at US MD and DO schools with your stats. However, you would likely have to apply very broadly given your international status (and as a result lack of state schools).
Awesome! Thank you so much

I'm about to sit the MCAT and is it even possible to get in with say a 512 ish MCAT and 3.85 cGPA- I'm also Canadian for context and volunteer at a lab.
For DO schools, yes.

FOR MD, I'm not sanguine...unless it's for a med school where you're an undergrad.

Can't comment about Canadian schools.

Probably not, I am a US student with slightly higher stats than that and the only Ivy I was competitive for was Dartmouth. Honestly you have no shot with a 512 for any other Ivy, especially as an international.

Synopsis: Dartmouth, very outside shot, Other Ivys, no chance. Get a 518 and then you are competitive I would think.

You would have a great chance at some other US schools though!

Last edited: