3.9 cGPA s3.7+ MCAT 508

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

csanchez705

Reaction score
Hey guys so I was wondering if anyone had input on what range of medical schools I should apply to or what the avg MCAT for my target schools should be? I scored a 508 on my mcat (129/125/127/127). CARS has always been my weak section and I can't seem to ever get it high enough and at this point I don't want to retake nor do I think I have time to for this cycle with my summer internship. I am Puerto Rican and Peruvian and go to a good academic university top 50.

Shadowing
-Anesthesiologist: 55 hours
-Atlantis Project (shadowing doctors abroad in spain, utilizing my knowledge of Spanish): 72 hours split into 4 departments (Anesthesiology, ENT, Urology, Cardiology), received leadership scholarship for this program
-Orthopedic Surgeon: 50 hours

Research
-Patient Contact: Assisted people with their workout routines to test power vs. strength training in the Elderly, focusing on the effects to their ADLs. Over 84 hours in the one semester the lab ran
-Wet Lab: Working with Schwann cells and their ability to produce myelin to help with the repair of damage axons following a spinal cord injury (3 semesters: 400+ hours). Behavioral tests on rats, observed surgery, fluorescent microscope and analysis, thin tissue sectioning, surgery preparation.
-Summer Undergraduate Research program @ Sloan Kettering (IP): Testing the ability of 77 different compounds to reduce cell viability in Diffuse Intrinsic Pontine Gliomas (poster presentation at the end) (So far: 130 hours, anticipated by the end: 380-400 hours)

Extracurricular
-Working within Biology Advising Office (3 semesters)
-Workshop leader for Intro biology courses (2 semesters)
-Tutor for student athletes (3 semesters)
-Tour guide for the university (House Leader for my specific group: entire organization split into 4 houses)
-Secretary for my fraternity (highest GPA on campus)
-Biochemistry tutor/proctor for professor (wrote LOR

Volunteering
- Note Taker for the office of disabilities (receive 60 hours of volunteering per class per semester: accumulated 300 hours)
-Blood Bank volunteering when I return from the atlantis project --> 30 hours
- Local Rescue Mission that I have been a part of since 2007. Volunteering for holiday dinners, was able to accumulate majority of the hours while in middle and high school, but had to slow down in college because I am not always home for the holidays (150: 100 before college, 50 since)

LOC
- All professors thought highly of me and spoke with them almost every class. No hesitation when I asked for LOR. A or A+ in their classes

GPA trend
-hard to say because I had a 4.0 my freshman year. Dipped down slighty when I took orgo 1 (B+) but got an A in orgo 2. Multiple semesters with a 4.0. Non science GPA is a 4.0. Mainly got non-As (few) in labs that ended up having significantly hard finals that had content we didn't learn in the class associated with it.

State of Residence: NJ

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I suggest:
U VM

U Miami (maybe)

U Toledo

Wayne State

Rush

NYMC

Creighton

Tufts

Albany

Rosy Franklin

Drexel

Temple

MCW

SLU

WVU

Tulane

Loyola

Wake Forest

Loma Linda (only if you are SDA or a very devout Christian)

VCU

Netter

Seton Hall

EVMS

Oakland-B

Gtown

GWU

Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)

Nova MD

Any DO program. I can't recommend Touro-NY, Nova, Wm Carey, LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide.

Your state school(s).

Reactions: 1 user
I suggest:
U VM

U Miami (maybe)

U Toledo

Wayne State

Rush

NYMC

Creighton

Tufts

Albany

Rosy Franklin

Drexel

Temple

MCW

SLU

WVU

Tulane

Loyola

Wake Forest

Loma Linda (only if you are SDA or a very devout Christian)

VCU

Netter

Seton Hall

EVMS

Oakland-B

Gtown

GWU

Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)

Nova MD

Any DO program. I can't recommend Touro-NY, Nova, Wm Carey, LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide.

Your state school(s).
thank you! I feel that my application is well rounded, just the MCAT score makes me wonder if I should take a gap year to study and retake

Members don't see this ad :)
Do I have to reach through the electrons and smack you upside the head?
At what point of an MCAT score does this change to a possibly retake? (assuming 3.9+ GPA and ORM)