3.96 gpa 29N mcat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

saywhatagain07

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
all else being equal, what do you think my chances of admission are for fall 2011 admission to medical school?

I've been looking at alot of schools with average MCATs of 31 or 32...but their GPAs are always lower than mine (3.75 is the highest). So will my insanely high gpa maybe counter a low (really not even that low) MCAT?

I'll be filling out primaries very soon, and submitting them early June.

Lots of hospital volunteering, shadowing, mission trip experience, RA in the residence halls, etc.

I welcome your feedback, but before you think my school is easy or something I assure you it is not. I study hard for my grades, and I've never been the hottest standardized test taker on the planet. For example, I earned 27 ACT with a 4.2 gpa in highschool...it happens.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for your input. I would be ecstatic to receive interviews from 32-average-MCAT schools because I feel that I could nail it from there. My main concern is getting the adcoms to become interested enough to invite me for an interview in the first place. I guess I'll have to put the hard-sell on OOS-ers.

I never understood why people tend to do so well on the mcat yet earn lower gpa (as can be seen with class profile stats), rather than vice versa as in my case. To me, gpa is something that is much more controllable.

PS: I'm from MO and St. Louis Univ School of Med is a privae in-state school. I assume you meant public when referring to in-state schools?

Thanks again!

Members don't see this ad :)
Your stats just get the rest of the application considered. if your LORs and ECs are strong, and you have excellent interview skills, you will have a chance at many schools.

Besides applying to any appropriate state or regional schools, consider researching some of these schools to see if their mission, weather, safety, curriculum, proximity to home, and cost match what you're looking for. It is important for the schools you pick to be a good fit for you on many levels, aside from stats. Some of the state schools prefer you to have state ties.

LizzyM Score is [MCAT score + (cGPA X 10)] + 1 = Your Score=70.
(School's score (using median acceptee stats) doesn't include the +1.)
(X%)=% matriculants that are from OOS.

71/UCF (24%), USC (28%), Boston (77%), Tufts (73%), SLU (of course!), Einstein (52%), Rochester (52%),
70/Colorado (25%), UConn (17%), Georgetown (98%), Miami (26%), Iowa (35%), Maryland (23%), UMinn (21%), Stony Brook (15%), Wake (59%), Cincinnati (34%), Penn (51%),
69/Loma Linda (49%), Loyola (55%), RFU (53%), UKen (30%), Creighton (89%), Albany (62%), SUNY Down (18%) Jefferson (60%), MCW (~65%)
68/UIllinois (27%), Wayne (17%), Buffalo (29%), Toledo (34%), Drexel (71%), Temple (52%), Vermont (72%), VCU (44%),
67/GWU (96%), FIU (21%), Louisvll (25%), Tulane (83%), UNevada (24%), NYMC (67%), MUSC (22%), SCarolina (18%), EVMS (39%),
66/Rush (19%), Michigan State (26%),
65/Commonweath MC (PA) (29%)

I think you'll get in somewhere with a 29. Just apply broadly.

My friend had a 3.92 and a 31 MCAT and is at Harvard now. She wasn't URM either.... white female. So really, anything is possible.

I think you've got a very solid chance. With a well chosen school list, I see at least one acceptance, likely more. Certainly you should get interviews.

Oh yes I have every intent to thoroughly research the schools to which I am applying. I'm thinking anywhere from 15 to 20 schools will be sufficient. This and apps will be my full-time job for the next 2 weeks now that school is out.

Catalystik, I appreciate the stats you provided. I was not aware of that formula, and it is also good to see which schools accept OOS students more or less than others. I'm glad to see Georgetown and SLU are in the running!

Also, I have every confidence in my LOR writers and expect this to be one of the highlights of my application. I consider myself a good interviewee, so not too concerned there either.

Obviously, money is no option when applying, so even if a school I would like to attend (i.e. UCLA) is a bit of a stretch I'll prob go for it anyway, like your friend at Harvard.

Thanks everyone! Glad to hear a generally optimistic tone! btw the score break down is 10V 9P 10B in case anyone is wondering.