3.97 GPA, 35R MCAT, etc. - school advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flatlandhiker

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

First time poster here at SDN, but I've enjoyed the advice here for years. Getting reading to submit the AMCAS, and finding it a little hard to narrow down my schools. My stats are in the thread title. Extracurriculars include:

* 55 hours of shadowing physicians, various specialties and hospitals
* two years of clinical volunteering at local medical center (patient transport, central supply)
* two summers working as electronic medical record consultant for a private practice, as well as a landscaping laborer
* two summers doing full-time research for my state medical school's MD/PhD program
*student government senator
*officer in Spanish Club, Ski & Snowboard Club, bio honor society
*biotech patent intern at local law firm
*two years molecular genetics research at my school, including presentation at international meeting
* student representative on various University committees
* non-medical volunteer work throughout undergrad time - homeless shelter, afterschool program, ESL program, Gates Scholarship program

I'm especially interested in schools offering the MD/MBA. I'm a Nebraska resident. It's kind of difficult to figure out which schools fit me best!

Here's my current list of twelve:

-Creighton
-Nebraska
-Medical College Wisconsin
-St. Louis
-Miami
-Baylor
-Yale
-Vanderbilt
-Dartmouth
-Mayo
-Case Western/Cleveland Clinic
-Harvard

Any help or thoughts you all can give will be appreciated.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

You've pretty much got the stats and ECs to apply anywhere you want. I would look at where in the country you'd like to live to narrow things down, and then look at teaching and grading styles to consider where to apply.

Members don't see this ad :)
Problem being that the area of the country I like best (Rockies or Pacific Northwest) only has state schools with horrific ratios for out-of-state acceptances... have you any experience with out-of-state applications?

just to give you a little heads up flatlandhiker....:)
with a fairly strong 3.97 and decent 35R it sounds like you went to an average undergraduate university that handed out high grades but didn't prepare students entirely for the competing with world class students. thinking about your mcat out of 45 points, you would only have scored 78%....certainly not what the high horsed admins at yale and harvard are looking to admit. what are some other schools on your radar? you need to make sure you get in somewhere.....

with a fairly strong 3.97 and decent 35R it sounds like you went to an average undergraduate university that handed out high grades but didn't prepare students entirely for the competing with world class students. thinking about your mcat out of 45 points, you would only have scored 78%....certainly not what the high horsed admins at yale and harvard are looking to admit. what are some other schools on your radar? you need to make sure you get in somewhere.....

lol. first post and this is what you write?

Maybe you've been out for a while, but a 35R is the 95th percentile. The average (meaning 50th percentile) at Harvard is 37.

Maybe you've been out for a while, but a 35R is the 95th percentile. The average (meaning 50th percentile) at Harvard is 37.

Yeah, you're fine, seriously. That's an extremely balanced and realistic school list, and with your stats, I'd think that you'd have a decent shot at a top 20 school.

Also, if you want to do MD/MBA, you might want to look into Northwestern (Kellogg) or Penn (Wharton).

lol. first post and this is what you write?

Seriously? lol