3.97 gpa, mcat august

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bleedblue

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys,

my situation:

about a 3.97 gpa about the same for just science
several organizations, leadership, volunteering, some scholarships, average nothing too spectacular

MCAT:26 last may

taking the next mcat in the first week of august.

i'll be submitting my primary soon, (within the week or next) and after taking the mcat i'll work on all the secondaries and ready to send those in before the mcat score comes out early september (by then i'm sure amcas will be verified and what not).

how does it sound, pretty late, ok late, or screw it dude do it next year late?

thanks for any help

Members don't see this ad.

about a 3.97 gpa about the same for just science
several organizations, leadership, volunteering, some scholarships, average nothing too spectacular

MCAT:26 last may; taking the next mcat in the first week of august.

how does it sound, pretty late, ok late, or screw it dude do it next year late?

You will only get a few secondaries before your MCAT score becomes available. Nonetheless, I note that there is no clinical shadowing and no research. Having neither of these will be an issue.

How are your practice MCATs looking? If you can't score a 30, I'm afraid you will be wasting an entire application cycle. Personally, I would wait til you can nail the MCAT (at least 30, preferably 32+), and build up clinical shadowing. Research is not necessary, but certainly helpful.

If you must apply this year, when you submit your primary, apply to only one school to initiate the verification process. Then, when your MCAT score comes out, if you like it, you can add all your other schools. The schools you add will get all your information within ~2 business days, so this short delay greatly outweighs wasting several hundred $ on the primary.

In the meantime, get the prompts for the secondaries here on SDN.

By the way, just FYI, 3.97/26 is a great candidate for DO, but the lack of shadowing still hurts a bit. Some DO schools require a DO letter.

You will only get a few secondaries before your MCAT score becomes available. Nonetheless, I note that there is no clinical shadowing and no research. Having neither of these will be an issue.

How are your practice MCATs looking? If you can't score a 30, I'm afraid you will be wasting an entire application cycle. Personally, I would wait til you can nail the MCAT (at least 30, preferably 32+), and build up clinical shadowing. Research is not necessary, but certainly helpful.

If you must apply this year, when you submit your primary, apply to only one school to initiate the verification process. Then, when your MCAT score comes out, if you like it, you can add all your other schools. The schools you add will get all your information within ~2 business days, so this short delay greatly outweighs wasting several hundred $ on the primary.

In the meantime, get the prompts for the secondaries here on SDN.

By the way, just FYI, 3.97/26 is a great candidate for DO, but the lack of shadowing still hurts a bit. Some DO schools require a DO letter.

i'm sorry i want' clear with my ECs bc i'm focused on the timing issue, I have clinical experience, I do shadow (no DOs though), and I have research experience (I got a scholarship and a grant for it).

I was scoring in the 30s on AAMC 8,9,10 before I took the may exam

my issue that I'm not sure of is how late am I considered. (I'm not interested in DO) and I am preferably interested in a state school so U of L or UK ( i go to U of L in Kentucky)

Members don't see this ad :)
i'm sorry i want' clear with my ECs bc i'm focused on the timing issue, I have clinical experience, I do shadow (no DOs though), and I have research experience (I got a scholarship and a grant for it).

I was scoring in the 30s on AAMC 8,9,10 before I took the may exam

my issue that I'm not sure of is how late am I considered. (I'm not interested in DO) and I am preferably interested in a state school so U of L or UK ( i go to U of L in Kentucky)

Ah okay that sounds better :)

I think you should apply to both UofL and UK for sure. Retake that MCAT since you were doing so well on the practices, you should be fine. Most people scoring a 26 the first time improve next time around. You will be late, but late enough to not have a shot. Especially if you get up to the 32-33 level.

Just taking a look through my Princeton Review Best 168 Medical schools book and here is some info I can offer you:

University of Louisville
Average MCAT = 30O
Average Cum GPA = 3.65

University of Kentucky
Average MCAT = 30P
Average Cum GPA = 3.69

So as Camaras said, a 32-33 will make you a very competitive applicant at these two schools even if you are a little later in the process. Goodluck!

Edit: Also, each of these two schools take around 90% In-State applicants. So being In-State helps tremendously.

i'm sure a 32-33 will make me comp outside of those two schools, But i'm more probable somewhere 29-31. i hope it's enough

i'm sure a 32-33 will make me comp outside of those two schools, But i'm more probable somewhere 29-31. i hope it's enough

Yes you would be competitive at other schools. I was just focusing on the two you said you really wanted to go to in-state. :) But even with a 30 you would be competitive at these two.

Even with a 29, you would be a stellar interview away from a seat!