This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

inGenius Prep

Vendor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
3 Key interview questions and how to answer them:

1. "Tell me about yourself."

The most open ended of questions and often the first question. Although this question can seem intimidating it is actually an opportunity. This is the chance for your to structure the interview and present your “elevator pitch” about YOU. An elevator pitch is a few sentences that describe your top strengths and motivations and your experiences that underscore these characteristics. Then connect these traits and strengths to the specific mission of the medical school. Aim for about one minute. Although you do not want to sound rehearsed or scripted this is a question I would highly recommend you practice with friends, family, coworkers.

2. "Where do you see yourself in 5 years?"

This question is about your ambitions. Admissions committees can see where you have been and what you have done by reviewing your application, but they can only get a sense of what these things may mean about where you want to go by asking you. If you have been working in community free clinics and doing international work, it might come off as strange to say you want to be a cosmetic surgeon in Beverly Hills. Make sure your future plans relate somehow to the groundwork or experiences you have already had.

3. "What is your biggest weakness?"

This is not an opportunity to shoot yourself in the foot. This is, however, an opportunity to demonstrate that you are able to self-assess and improve. Some interviewers may very well be hoping that you will shoot yourself in the foot and they can easily cross you off the list. The "sandwich" technique that is often suggested is actually rather annoying and transparent to interviewers. Same goes for the old "spin a negative trait into a positive" - i.e. "I am a perfectionist and sometimes that means I spend too much time studying." Most interviewers prefer a true critical evaluation of a weakness and how you have learned to adapt or overcome it.

Members don't see this ad.