3 C's and a W on my Transcript

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Stressd-premed

Reaction score
Hi so I'm a sophomore with a 3.62 GPA so far and I would like to know if there is a chance for me to get into a good medical school with 3 c's and a W on my transcript. The classes I would have C's are gen chem, principles of bio, and calculus. The reason I did so bad is that my parents ended up taking emergency trips out of the country throughout the semester making me take care of my little brother so because of that my grades started to slip. Next semester I'll start taking my upper-level courses and I know I can produce a strong upward curve and earn a high score on the MCAT. Should I retake these classes or just leave them. Any advice would help.

Members don't see this ad.

Do NOT retake the classes. Good job on your GPA still being in a good range after the C’s. Do better in your upper divisions. You are fine. Good luck!

Agreed, don’t retake. Show a strong upward trend and be prepared to write a short, eloquent paragraph about your situation, as many schools have space on their secondaries to explain academic mishaps.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You're just a sophomore, right? So, you've got a little more than 2.5 years left of your education? If so, that's a lot of time. More than enough time to deliver a positive trend and demonstrate that you are a mature student.

Also, I have 3 C's and a D on my transcript. My GPA is hovering about ~3.8 right now. If your overall GPA is good, I seriously doubt your C's would be a deal breaker. You're young, you're human, and we can't control everything.

Your chances are the same as those of any sophomore with a 3.62 GPA. Cs and a couple of Ws don’t mean squat.
Don’t retake Cs for the purpose of getting into medical school (even for prereq classes) if you feel you need a boost take upper division classes in those areas.

I had Cs and Ws too dude. I overcame it by a couple semesters of straight As. Show significant improvement and you will be fine come app time.

Hi so I'm a sophomore with a 3.62 GPA so far and I would like to know if there is a chance for me to get into a good medical school with 3 c's and a W on my transcript. The classes I would have C's are gen chem, principles of bio, and calculus. The reason I did so bad is that my parents ended up taking emergency trips out of the country throughout the semester making me take care of my little brother so because of that my grades started to slip. Next semester I'll start taking my upper-level courses and I know I can produce a strong upward curve and earn a high score on the MCAT. Should I retake these classes or just leave them. Any advice would help.
3 C’s, 2 W’s, 2 acceptances. You got this!

Those will not keep you out of med school. You can have Fs and still get in.

I had 5ish W's and sitting on 10 II's. Just have a good reason for it, explain in app if necessary somewhere, and btw any MD in the US I'd consider a "good" medical school.