3 interviews....did not get in

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WarpDinosaur

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
So I applied to 5 schools. I got 3 interviews. I got denied from one and I haven't heard back from the other two at all. It seems too late for them anyway as its been almost 3 months now. Does this mean I just did bad on the interviews or do my grades or anything have anything to do with it?

Has anyone else not got in? What is your plan B? Do you think getting a Master's degree in Public Health and then reapplying would be worth it? Since now it seems I have no choice but to take a year off. Maybe I can still get into a spring semester for a Master's program. Any suggestions?
I would contact the admissions office for those two schools. The schools usually get back to you with a decision even if you're rejected or waitlisted. To here nothing at all for 3 months since your interview is very weird.

I wouldn't pursue a MPH unless that's something you have interest in. Depending on your app you might need to do some more EC w/ leadership, improve grades in PR or take the PCAT. You also might want to apply to more schools next cycle.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I think with those schools they said that you could even hear back from them until August or so I think(like if someone decides not to go or something). Also, I thought applying to 5 schools itself would be a lot, but I guess not. I personally think it was the interview that messed it up. I mean if I got the interview wouldn't that mean my grades and stuff were good? Ah well, I suppose I'll have to just retake PCAT and all that. What do you think I should do with all my free time in the meanwhile (besides strengthening my application)? Wouldn't it look bad if I'm not taking any classes for like a year?

I'd try to bring my Chemistry sub-section score up. A 58? If that 58 was in the RC and Verb then it wouldn't be such a concern I'm sure but considering that our profession relies on chemistry as the cornerstone for it, many schools emphasize that sub-section over everything else (I remember looking @ UW Pharmacy and they even said as much, that was a real wake up call).

No one is ENTIRELY sure what an interview really constitutes in terms of how AdCom felt about your app, and conjecturing about it is an exercise in futility, IMO.

Not taking classes for a year is not a huge hindrance - It's perfectly explained, right? You're done with your course-work, there's nothing left to do besides strengthen your app. Try to volunteer more and vie for a job as a technician perhaps.

You're close... very close. Perhaps it was just a particularly competitive cycle for the schools you chose to apply to? Hard to say.

Keep your chin up, re-take the PCAT and aim for a >70 on your Chemistry sub-section and try to nab a job as a pharmacy tech somewhere perhaps. Aside from that? Not a whole lot looks like it needs improving on paper.

So I applied to 5 schools. I got 3 interviews. I got denied from one and I haven't heard back from the other two at all. It seems too late for them anyway as its been almost 3 months now. Does this mean I just did bad on the interviews or do my grades or anything have anything to do with it?

Has anyone else not got in? What is your plan B? Do you think getting a Master's degree in Public Health and then reapplying would be worth it? Since now it seems I have no choice but to take a year off. Maybe I can still get into a spring semester for a Master's program. Any suggestions?

EDIT:

I thought I'd also post my stats to see if anyone can suggest what needs to be worked on.

Have a Bachelor of Science degree in Biology

cGPA: 3.455
sciGPA: 3.241 (This was brought by just a few points, nothing too big)

PCAT:

Verbal Ability: 86
Biology: 88
Reading Comprehension: 82
Quantitative Ability:39
Chemistry: 58
Composite: 77

Extracurriculars and other stuff:

* 100 + hours of volunteer activities doing various things (such as being counselor for people with disabilities, helping at animal shelter, volunteer in ER, etc.). I also volunteer in the Hospital Pharmacy.

* Taking martial arts classes on the side. I volunteer there too with helping out in teaching and everything.

* Have been part of some clubs/organizations such as pre-pharmacy association, volunteer organization, etc.

What can be improved?

I think your interview skills need to be a bit polished and primed.

If you were applying around February, you should have definitely applied earlier. Applying around August would probably significantly improve your chances. Late in the season a lot of spots are already taken.

I would definitely do a master in the mean time because I think it will look good for you next year. Taking a year off will give you a negative impression from pharmacy school. I think they want you to continue to improve your application each year.

Also, give it another chance to retake the Pcat. Do well on science classes.

I recommend to read books such as "how to win friends and influence people" of Dale Carnagies, just to improve your communication skill. It helped me a lot during my applying year.

Volunteer in pharmacy, or hospitals. Take this year to improve your extracurriculars. Then you are set for next year.

my god, I applied to 5 schools. I got 5 interviews. I got 1 reject. 2 waitlists and the last one I got a delay in decision.
Gpa: 3.31
PCAT: 62

And my interviewer told me "I would get in" right in my face and the other one, they remembered me, both went great. It shows that interview isnt everything... adcoms make the decision in the end... and there are better people in the group... the best they can do for you is put you in a wait list.

Last edited:
You must have really messed something up. My GPA was 3.3, PCAT 69 with a chem score around 50. Chemistry is the basis for pharmacy if you're going into R&D or industry. For the rest of us it's a useless topic we'll never use. I don't explain to any patients how a functional group on a drug makes it more lipophilic, etc.

You must have really messed something up. My GPA was 3.3, PCAT 69 with a chem score around 50. Chemistry is the basis for pharmacy if you're going into R&D or industry. For the rest of us it's a useless topic we'll never use. I don't explain to any patients how a functional group on a drug makes it more lipophilic, etc.

I hope you are not implying that pKa's are not important to the day to day work of a pharmacist?! :smuggrin:

I dont know man. My pre pharm gpa is a 3.6. A's in both Ochem. 81 chem on the PCAT. 88 in bio, and 79 in Math.
My Analytical Chem is a A. Chem 1 is a C, Chem 2 is a B+. A- in both calc based physics.
A- and A's in all bio's. A- in calc 1 and 2. Interview went well, the guy and I had a in depth discussion and he told me open file he liked my personal statement.

In UNE, the professor said I "Did my homework" and when I was exiting he remembered me and pulled me out of the students exiting the building. Of course UNE lied and had 300 interviews instead of 200, they wanted to wait for the interviews to end and put me on a waitlist... More and more people are applying which makes it harder.

Members don't see this ad :)

EDIT:

I thought I'd also post my stats to see if anyone can suggest what needs to be worked on.

Have a Bachelor of Science degree in Biology

cGPA: 3.455
sciGPA: 3.241 (This was brought by just a few points, nothing too big)

PCAT:

Verbal Ability: 86
Biology: 88
Reading Comprehension: 82
Quantitative Ability:39
Chemistry: 58
Composite: 77

Extracurriculars and other stuff:

* 100 + hours of volunteer activities doing various things (such as being counselor for people with disabilities, helping at animal shelter, volunteer in ER, etc.). I also volunteer in the Hospital Pharmacy.

* Taking martial arts classes on the side. I volunteer there too with helping out in teaching and everything.

* Have been part of some clubs/organizations such as pre-pharmacy association, volunteer organization, etc.

What can be improved?

Hmm, seems like you have an impressive application. I'd call those two schools to see what's going on. Also, maybe ask the school that denied you what went wrong and see what they think you can improve. Perhaps take the PCAT again and try to get higher score on the Chemistry subsection as the previous member suggested.

I thought I'd get into atleast one school. I mean one of the interviewers said I was well rounded applicant and it seemed like they liked me. They were all LIES!
dude you need to chill, I was just like you. I was worrying a lot too. My pharmacist told me that 30-40% of the class were mostly from the waitlist. Plus they want your money. It's not the school fault that pharmacy is getting more and more competitive, they have more and more applicants. More people with experience and higher gpa. I know several people that did bad on their interview but with higher gpa got in. They want everyone to get in, but they just cant.

I just got in touch with my interviewer yesterday and he offered to help me. Also when I asked the admissions of why they didnt accept me, they said they "did" but the class was all filled up. It wasnt the interviewer's call to tell me I got in.

Also send them a email if possible.

Last edited:
You wouldn't be getting interviewed if the schools didn't think you were academically competent... perhaps your interviewing is what needs work.

Agreed. Could be the interview (since you had three...though who knows these days?). If you are still connected to a school, I would see if they have anything for a career center where you could go in and do mock interviews.

re-take PCAT, boost up your chem and math score
get a job in a pharmacy as a tech

I thought I'd get into atleast one school. I mean one of the interviewers said I was well rounded applicant and it seemed like they liked me. They were all LIES!

I realize this is probably a long shot, but is there any chance your spam filter could have eaten your acceptance/rejection emails? I find it pretty odd that 2 schools didn't contact you at all, one way or the other. When my #1 choice emailed me to offer an interview, it got caught in my spam filter even though I got every other email the school sent me just fine. I would have missed the interview if they hadn't called me to follow up! Even if that isn't what happened, you must contact the schools to verify that you were rejected/waitlisted/whatever and figure out why so you're more competitive next year. Based on what you've said here, you seem like a solid applicant.

I had very similar stats as you but you should definitely work on your interview skills. I find it surprising you didn't make it in. Hell, I even have a biology degree too.

Sounds like what I did last year (three failed interviews, similar GPA) except with less actual pharmacy experience and a lower PCAT. I added a year of experience and did better on my interview and got accepted to one of those schools when I got re-invited to interview this year. Just work hard starting now and you'll get it.

Don't get me wrong when I ask this, but are you sure Pharm school is what you want to do? Is it you're ideal career niche?

When you're interviewed they examine you on how much you aspire to be a pharmacist and attend their school. If you imply that the only reason you're interested is b/c of a healthy salary and that the location is prime, i'd scratch you off the list immediately. My advice: is to do some self investigating, make sure pharmacy is the ideal fit for you!

Ask a LOT of questions during your interview. Prove to them that you've researched their program and are generally interested in all the opportunities their school has to offer you. Even if the program website can answer any questions you may have, ask the interviewer anyway, it shows that your interests match the goals of the program.

GOOD NEWS!! I got in cause I was at the top of the waitlist in one of the schools XD. The guy told me that "I did very well on my interview". Which begs the question....Why didn't I get in in the first place? (without being waitlisted) w/e I got into one it's good enough. Thank you all for your posts and encouragement. I appreciate it :)

Good job, congratulatioons future P1 !:)

GOOD NEWS!! I got in cause I was at the top of the waitlist in one of the schools XD. The guy told me that "I did very well on my interview". Which begs the question....Why didn't I get in in the first place? (without being waitlisted) w/e I got into one it's good enough. Thank you all for your posts and encouragement. I appreciate it :)
same here, got into LIU! :love::laugh:

This is a dumb question but what's the difference with getting accepted and getting on the waiting list?

This is a dumb question but what's the difference with getting accepted and getting on the waiting list?
The wait list is just a list of alternates. If someone declines their acceptance to a school and there are no more interviews then the school turns to the wait list.

I don't know how they pull off of the list though. I think they either consider each person on the list and pick the best or just pick based on priority.