BOTH 3 months out from Step 1, need advice.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Whovian89

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So my Step 1 is scheduled for June 21, I originally had it scheduled for June 5th but I panicked and rescheduled it recently since I'm not on track at all with my board review. My Level 1 is scheduled for June 10.

I go to a DO school where we've been averaging 2+ exams/week every week, and I've just been exhausted and felt like I had little time to do anything else - including boards stuff. I'm pretty average grades-wise, sometimes doing better than average, sometimes worse. I'm almost done with pathoma and sketchy pharm, completely done with sketchy micro, and have done some BNB. We had to take 2 COMATs so far, one in the basic sciences and one just on OMM and I did above average on both.

Here's the kicker, I haven't started annotating FA and aside from doing some pepper decks to help with class exams (haven't kept up with the reviews), I've done hardly any anki. I've also only done around 200 UWorld questions so far, and am scoring in the 50's.

I'm stressing really hard and don't know what my best course of action should be. Start cranking FA and zanki, FA only, or FA + only doing zanki for subjects I haven't seen for a long time (genetics, neuro, etc.)? I plan on doing a lot more UWorld questions, and when dedicated starts in a month I plan on doing 12+ hour days, but any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I think you'll be fine. After talking to so many upper classmen this semester who rocked boards, I've come to the conclusion that sticking with UFAPS and not getting fancy will net you a good score if you truly learn it. I've annotated my FA since M1 with board stuff, but it's a bit annoying to look at now honestly, so I wouldn't worry about that. Unless you've been doing anki throughout your schooling, I wouldn't figure it out now unless you want to use it for certain weaknesses.

Definitely start cranking out some UW though, but don't worry about a second pass now if time isn't permitting. Opinions will vary wildly on UW x1 or x2 anyway.

Reactions: 1 users
I think you'll be fine. After talking to so many upper classmen this semester who rocked boards, I've come to the conclusion that sticking with UFAPS and not getting fancy will net you a good score if you truly learn it. I've annotated my FA since M1 with board stuff, but it's a bit annoying to look at now honestly, so I wouldn't worry about that. Unless you've been doing anki throughout your schooling, I wouldn't figure it out now unless you want to use it for certain weaknesses.

Definitely start cranking out some UW though, but don't worry about a second pass now if time isn't permitting. Opinions will vary wildly on UW x1 or x2 anyway.

I appreciate the feedback! Is there a target number of questions I should hit? Like 40+/day?

I appreciate the feedback! Is there a target number of questions I should hit? Like 40+/day?

At 40(one block) a day you should finish before your test date, but I would work myself up to 80-120 a day for more active learning. This will give you room for scheduling NBMEs and ample time to strengthen up weaknesses through Pathoma,FA, etc.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
So my Step 1 is scheduled for June 21, I originally had it scheduled for June 5th but I panicked and rescheduled it recently since I'm not on track at all with my board review. My Level 1 is scheduled for June 10.

I go to a DO school where we've been averaging 2+ exams/week every week, and I've just been exhausted and felt like I had little time to do anything else - including boards stuff. I'm pretty average grades-wise, sometimes doing better than average, sometimes worse. I'm almost done with pathoma and sketchy pharm, completely done with sketchy micro, and have done some BNB. We had to take 2 COMATs so far, one in the basic sciences and one just on OMM and I did above average on both.

Here's the kicker, I haven't started annotating FA and aside from doing some pepper decks to help with class exams (haven't kept up with the reviews), I've done hardly any anki. I've also only done around 200 UWorld questions so far, and am scoring in the 50's.

I'm stressing really hard and don't know what my best course of action should be. Start cranking FA and zanki, FA only, or FA + only doing zanki for subjects I haven't seen for a long time (genetics, neuro, etc.)? I plan on doing a lot more UWorld questions, and when dedicated starts in a month I plan on doing 12+ hour days, but any advice would be greatly appreciated.
In your same shoes (2 exams or many quizzes weekly that only can hurt my grade). Hoping since we have a few months until we take it that we can overcome this.

I go to your school too (pretty sure)

I basically have the exact same issues with our weekly exams (so frustrating). I try to do 20 UW questions a day after watching whatever system its on (sketchy for micro, BNB for organs, etc.). Sometimes I skip days when we get closer to a test, sometimes I'll do a ton right after the test but it is super hard to keep up.

I think if you stick with UFAP, take your time with learning what you are missing and do zanki for the weak subjects you'll be good. I am doing the exact same thing but with Lightyear (only for neuro, genetics, personal weak subjects). Rather than try and cram a ton of questions in daily just do enough to where you are learning and once dedicated starts do what the poster said above.

Good luck, we got this!!