Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Someone needs to proofread his profile...View attachment 340619
This murse is furious someone posted this tragic story on Twitter. Now claiming there are thousands more stories he can post about doctors.
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Someone needs to proofread his profile...View attachment 340619
This murse is furious someone posted this tragic story on Twitter. Now claiming there are thousands more stories he can post about doctors.
View attachment 340619
This murse is furious someone posted this tragic story on Twitter. Now claiming there are thousands more stories he can post about doctors.
View attachment 340619
This murse is furious someone posted this tragic story on Twitter. Now claiming there are thousands more stories he can post about doctors.
I love this.View attachment 340619
This murse is furious someone posted this tragic story on Twitter. Now claiming there are thousands more stories he can post about doctors.
It’s almost always laryngospasm hypoxia bradycardia death!![]()
Kansas mother hopes for answers after 3-year-old son dies after dental procedure, dentistry releases statement
A Kansas mother is sharing her family’s tragedy and looking for answers after her 3-year-old son died following a dental procedure in Wichita on Tuesday.www.ksn.com
Just saw this on the news. Sad. According to the article the Dental office uses a solo CRNA group to administer anesthesia during their cases.
Why give it sublingual?Sublingual IM sux might bail you out.
Faster onsetWhy give it sublingual?
I get that part.Faster onset
I get that part.
I wouldn’t do it in a million years though.
4 mg/kg in the deltoid. And atropine.
The dentist is mucking around in the mouth. The bed is away from you. An ET tube may be in the way. You could cause bleeding. No way I am skipping the tried and true in an emergency.
If 200 mg of suxamethonium is the same as 200 mg succinylcholine, that was 10 ml injected into that ladies tongue. Seems like that much volume my hurt your ventilation but I have never tried it.My thought exactly.
Did find this little gem for those who are interested.
Intra-lingual succinylcholine for the treatment of adult laryngospasm in the absence of IV access
If you have an ETT you really shouldn’t need sux!An ET tube may be in the way.
Good point.If you have an ETT you really shouldn’t need sux!
One would think it is impossible to laryngospasm with an ET tube in place.If you have an ETT you really shouldn’t need sux!
I have had CRNA's confuse laryngospasm with bronchospasm.Isn’t that obvious?
I’ll defer to you your the verified expert!I have had CRNA's confuse laryngospasm with bronchospasm.
F that noise. Draw that **** up for every case. You really just need one drawn up for the whole day.One pedi center we cover is asking us to refrain from drawing up the sux, unless needed in an emergency 🤔
Thoughts?
Absolutely. If I'm doing kids that day the first thing I do is draw up a vial of sux into a full 5 cc, a full 3 cc, and the rest into another 3 cc and load them each up with 25 ga needles. Then I draw up an atropine. This is just baseline, bare minimum cost of doing kids. Anyone that wants to save money by stopping this practice can go you-know what.F that noise. Draw that **** up for every case. You really just need one drawn up for the whole day.
They want to be that cheap over one syringe wasted? F that. Tell them if they really want to be cheap they can save the vial in the fridge till it runs out.
Give me a damn break.
Prefilled syringes for the win.F that noise. Draw that **** up for every case. You really just need one drawn up for the whole day.
They want to be that cheap over one syringe wasted? F that. Tell them if they really want to be cheap they can save the vial in the fridge till it runs out.
Give me a damn break.
Maybe you should start telling them which patients should be getting procedures/surgery done and see how they like it. People need to stay in their lane.One pedi center we cover is asking us to refrain from drawing up the sux, unless needed in an emergency 🤔
Thoughts?
Yikes… don’t leave us hanging, would love to hear the whole story for both of thoseI’ve done this once before for a thoracic case that had a confluence of really bad luck on induction. I injected 100 of rocuronium into a prominent EJ .
I’ve also given intra arterial rocuronium during a cardiac induction once in my career. Through a preinduction arterial line intentionally. Had no other choice
Why?Through a preinduction arterial line intentionally.
Why?
What was wrong with the vein?To paralyze for a cardiac induction
Lone IV infiltrated giving induction drugs?What was wrong with the vein?
To paralyze for a cardiac induction
I dunno about your setup but there is pretty much always an ultrasound in the cardiothoracic room or right outside it where I'm at. In those situations I'm gonna put an 18g needle on the roc syringe, U/S on neck, inject directly into IJ.I’ve done this once before for a thoracic case that had a confluence of really bad luck on induction. I injected 100 of rocuronium into a prominent EJ .
I’ve also given intra arterial rocuronium during a cardiac induction once in my career. Through a preinduction arterial line intentionally. Had no other choice
What was wrong with the vein?
If you desperately need paralysis, you can put a 25 g on a syringe with a paralytic in it and enter the skin and advance toward any vessel that is standing out while aspirating. As soon as you aspirate blood , inject. If you have steady hands, this will work, and probably more reliably than trying to start an IV really fast. In a life or death airway emergency with no access, you just need to get the paralytic into circulation, you don’t need to establish an IV.
I’ve done this once before for a thoracic case that had a confluence of really bad luck on induction. I injected 100 of rocuronium into a prominent EJ .
I’ve also given intra arterial rocuronium during a cardiac induction once in my career. Through a preinduction arterial line intentionally. Had no other choice
I realize kids don’t get preinduction arterial lines, just bringing it up in case any one is faced with this situation some time and forgets that the arterial line is technically vascular access
Always read/heard about sublingual/IM sux, etc. In many many years of practice have never had to give it. The obvious scenario is while doing an inhalational induction you get a laryngospasm and would need it then. Or if you lose the IV and have laryngosasm. I have heard of some trying to do cases with manipulation of airway and no IV…Bad Idea!!! Why I mentioned not doing these cases without IV!!! For those who have done enough peds know that getting a good IV in some of these kids can be challenging. Especially some of the more cherubic ones! I can envision a busy dental practice opting to go ahead with a case without the benefit of a good functioning IV???My thought exactly.
Did find this little gem for those who are interested.
Intra-lingual succinylcholine for the treatment of adult laryngospasm in the absence of IV access
Ive given it several times; always with a peds inhalational induction. If I can’t find a vein, they get woken up and they go home. It has happened to me a couple of times.Always read/heard about sublingual/IM sux, etc. In many many years of practice have never had to give it. The obvious scenario is while doing an inhalational induction you get a laryngospasm and would need it then. Or if you lose the IV and have laryngosasm. I have heard of some trying to do cases with manipulation of airway and no IV…Bad Idea!!! Why I mentioned not doing these cases without IV!!! For those who have done enough peds know that getting a good IV in some of these kids can be challenging. Especially some of the more cherubic ones! I can envision a busy dental practice opting to go ahead with a case without the benefit of a good functioning IV???
For those of you who have tried not so conventional way of injecting sux. Can you elucidate your thinking process?
Not criticizing, just want to understand a little more, since you have two of the established methods of delivering medications, why deviate, especially presumably during an emergency?
Could you elucidate further by what you mean? Doesn't Anesthesiology have a fair share of emergency situations when compared to other specialties?Having been in a few emergency situations, I can attest to the fact that I don't think as clearly as I do normally and may not make the best decisions.
I would venture to say, not as much as people think. I would think the ER would have a hell of a lot more than us. Life and death literally? I mean compared to psych sure.Could you elucidate further by what you mean? Doesn't Anesthesiology have a fair share of emergency situations when compared to other specialties?
Might be another dumb question, but isn't anesthesia often on the code teams and airway call in many hospitals? I guess that's where I am getting it from.I would venture to say, not as much as people think. I would think the ER would have a hell of a lot more than us. Life and death literally? I mean compared to psych sure.
IM has patients coding and deteriorating on the floors all day long. We try to avoid emergency situations by planning ahead and having backup plans as much as possible unless they come into the door already in a state of emergency.
If you are having bad emergencies happen to you constantly in this field you are either supervising a bunch of incompetent nurses, are yourself somewhat incompetent or doing nothing but high risk cases all day everyday IMO.
Could you elucidate further by what you mean? Doesn't Anesthesiology have a fair share of emergency situations when compared to other specialties?
I guess while I'm young and idealistic, that would be the kind of practice I would want for a career as an anesthesiologist or Anes/CCM, but could see it getting old and stressful as I get older......This depends entirely on the practice setting. If you are working in a busy trauma center, you will be dealing with life or death situations on a regular basis. If you are in an ASC, not so much. Regardless, every anesthesiologists should feel competent dealing with an emergency, otherwise they have no business taking care of patients in the operating room, IMHO.
Might be another dumb question, but isn't anesthesia often on the code teams and airway call in many hospitals? I guess that's where I am getting it from.
Ah...If you are having bad emergencies happen to you constantly in this field you are either supervising a bunch of incompetent nurses, are yourself somewhat incompetent or doing nothing but high risk cases all day everyday IMO.
Ive wondered that myself.I was mainly asking why do intra-lingual or IA injection.
Our mission is to provide students with free, unbiased information, resources, and advising for careers in the health professions. We believe every student deserves access to trustworthy guidance, regardless of background or ability to pay.