3 year vs 4 year pharmacy school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

raee

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

I was wondering what everyone thinks about going to a 3 or 4 year pharmacy program? I've gotten into 2 pharmacy schools so far. One in state which is 4 years, and one out of state that is 3 years.

If I go out of state, I'll save a whole year's worth of tuition and be able to get into the work force faster. (save 40K + being able to work a year earlier) If I stay in state, I'll have a more relaxed/enjoyable experience and would probably be more happy having family and friends around me.

Any thoughts or opinions? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think you actually save that one year tuition. Three year schools go by quarters instead if semesters and you'll have to go over the summer. So, if you go to a quarter system school, $10,500 a quarter, will add up to the same as a four year program.

I don't think you actually save that one year tuition. Three year schools go by quarters instead if semesters and you'll have to go over the summer. So, if you go to a quarter system school, $10,500 a quarter, will add up to the same as a four year program.

This is correct.

My original plan was to transfer from MCPHS Boston to Worchester after prepharm years were done, but the reality of having no summer breaks and the less enjoyable locale made me realize that I'd rather have a good time longer than burn out quickly.

Members don't see this ad :)
Tuition is usually slightly cheaper and you get to work 1 year faster. It all depends what's more important to you. You do get breaks at a 3 year school, about a month in winter and a month in summer.

The main advantage is that you get out 1 year quicker so you have to factor in that extra year of salary.

Most of the 3-year programs I have seen are private and very expensive. I would much rather opt for a less expensive 4-year program. However, one other problem few have talked about is mandatory health insurance. When I went to school I paid $75 a month for health insurance. Now many of the students will be forced to pay upwards of $500 per month plus student health service fees each semester. That will add another 6k or more to the total cost in addition to tuition each year. That 6k plus accumulating interest from non-subsidized loans adds an extra year of financial burden to pharmacy students.

One final observation is that 3-year students have much less info to digest the material. Many of the students are great but they simply didn't have time to work paid internships during school and over the summer. Not only does one learn during that time, they also have more employer connections when they graduate. Also, 3-year students will have much less time for residency related preparation and projects. I would think there would significant difference on extra-curricular activities for a 4 year versus a 3 year program--- this is especially true if students begin right away with extra-curriculars, research, publications, and side projects.

Finally, I think the depth of the curriculum must be greater at many 4-year programs. The 3-year schools have mandatory 90% marks that must be achieved by each student on a test. For every student to achieve this mark means they aren't giving as difficult tests. There material has to be much less thorough. For example, in my program we routinely had averages in the 60-70% range for the class. The questions were difficult and many were written questions that probed critical thinking abilities. There is simply no way the whole class could get a 90% on that kind of test.

Any perceived cost increase of a 3 year school will be made up the the additional 100-120k you will make once you graduate. Also, if you will be doing internships or working during the summer, you aren't really relaxing anyway. If it is a quality school just get it done.

Hi!

I was wondering what everyone thinks about going to a 3 or 4 year pharmacy program? I've gotten into 2 pharmacy schools so far. One in state which is 4 years, and one out of state that is 3 years.

If I go out of state, I'll save a whole year's worth of tuition and be able to get into the work force faster. (save 40K + being able to work a year earlier) If I stay in state, I'll have a more relaxed/enjoyable experience and would probably be more happy having family and friends around me.

Any thoughts or opinions? Thanks!

Personally I would recommend a three year school based on tuition cost and the extra year gained during your education which is a year early you get into the job force. This is especially important given the job environment currently.

The extra depth you can learn during residency or even on the job if necessary. You just have to be a motivated individual.

The main advantage is that you get out 1 year quicker so you have to factor in that extra year of salary.

Most of the 3-year programs I have seen are private and very expensive. I would much rather opt for a less expensive 4-year program. However, one other problem few have talked about is mandatory health insurance. When I went to school I paid $75 a month for health insurance. Now many of the students will be forced to pay upwards of $500 per month plus student health service fees each semester. That will add another 6k or more to the total cost in addition to tuition each year. That 6k plus accumulating interest from non-subsidized loans adds an extra year of financial burden to pharmacy students.

One final observation is that 3-year students have much less info to digest the material. Many of the students are great but they simply didn't have time to work paid internships during school and over the summer. Not only does one learn during that time, they also have more employer connections when they graduate. Also, 3-year students will have much less time for residency related preparation and projects. I would think there would significant difference on extra-curricular activities for a 4 year versus a 3 year program--- this is especially true if students begin right away with extra-curriculars, research, publications, and side projects.

Finally, I think the depth of the curriculum must be greater at many 4-year programs. The 3-year schools have mandatory 90% marks that must be achieved by each student on a test. For every student to achieve this mark means they aren't giving as difficult tests. There material has to be much less thorough. For example, in my program we routinely had averages in the 60-70% range for the class. The questions were difficult and many were written questions that probed critical thinking abilities. There is simply no way the whole class could get a 90% on that kind of test.

Just throwing it out there that the above poster is making a lot of assumptions that aren't true, maybe sometimes it can be that way but not the majority of the time. Don't know what that 90% is, maybe there's a 3 year school that does that but I think some 4 year schools do that too. There's plenty of time to do extra stuff and experience when going to a 3 year, there was no short comings when applying for a residency.

All the things mentioned are things that depend on the person not the school.

I go to a 3 year school and a passing score is 70%. We get 1 week off every 10 weeks, plus a little more than 2 weeks off for Christmas and new years and 5 weeks in the summer after year 1 and 3 weeks after year 2, before APPEs start. We get the major holidays off too (ie thanksgiving, the day after, etc...). It's completely manageable. Many students work. I worked about 12-15 hours per week and had no issues. Plenty people are interested in residencies and do a lot of extra curricular activities.

Any perceived cost increase of a 3 year school will be made up the the additional 100-120k you will make once you graduate. Also, if you will be doing internships or working during the summer, you aren't really relaxing anyway. If it is a quality school just get it done.
how do you know if a school is a quality school? thanks!

Just do research as much as you can. I heard South U. Wasn't a very good school if that's the one.

This might help, although the methodology of these things (i.e. a survey asking you to "rate the academic quality" of another school) is somewhat questionable, in my opinion...

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankings...-schools/top-health-schools/pharmacy-rankings

Some of the pharmacists I have worked for have not been too impressed with pharmacists that graduated from 3-year programs. That being said, it will depend entirely on the program as well as the quality of the student. A bad student at a 3-year university is still going to be a bad student at a 4-year university, so those 3-year graduates may just have been poor students...who knows?