3 yr Army HPSP Availability

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

waveride6

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone knew anything about the 3 yr Army HPSP availability for right now. My papers are in and I'm waiting on my recruiter to submit. What are my chances for this year? I'm starting school Fall 2009. And the chances for the next year (if I don't get it for this upcoming year)?

On that note, do you get to pick which 3 years the Army picks up?

Thanks for any information.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone knew anything about the 3 yr Army HPSP availability for right now. My papers are in and I'm waiting on my recruiter to submit. What are my chances for this year? I'm starting school Fall 2009. And the chances for the next year (if I don't get it for this upcoming year)?

On that note, do you get to pick which 3 years the Army picks up?

Thanks for any information.

All Army scholarships have waiting lists (3 and 4 yr HPSP). If you apply this year, and enough people decline - you may have a chance. Otherwise what this means is that if you apply for the scholarship next year and receive it - commencing on the beginning of your next academic year - the Army will begin paying for that year. It will not go retro active.

is that mean the army are out of the scholarship for those who are applying for dental school for 2010'?

Members don't see this ad :)
is that mean the army are out of the scholarship for those who are applying for dental school for 2010'?

You can't pick which 3 years you want and also if you're applying now, you will probably get the 3 year and start receiving the scholarship in the fall of 2010.

You can't pick which 3 years you want and also if you're applying now, you will probably get the 3 year and start receiving the scholarship in the fall of 2010.

hey armyDDS, i'm applying for the army right now.. talked to a recruiter in person today.. I really like everything she said about the army , i used to thought army was like hell (but shes ' a recruiter, cant' really trust everything i guess).. but i also talked to a AF recruiter this week too.. and I like them too.. do you think its okay to apply to both as of right now (like applying for dental schools) and decide which one i really want to go after getting accepted?.. ..is that kinda of "dirty"?

btw, for anyone else that can choose... which branch is better? b/w AF and Army???.. can you give me some pros and cons??? from what I have noticed from this site.. ppl say AF have better living quality.. n makes army sound like a living hell.. but the recruiter explained to me today that.. it really isn't as bad as ppl say esp. if we are in the health profession in the Army.. .. ..so can I get some help w/ making a decision?.. as of right now .. i dont have any preference to which one is better b/c they both sound very good to me.. so any additional info would b nicE!

btw, for anyone else that can choose... which branch is better? b/w AF and Army???.. can you give me some pros and cons??? from what I have noticed from this site.. ppl say AF have better living quality.. n makes army sound like a living hell.. but the recruiter explained to me today that.. it really isn't as bad as ppl say esp. if we are in the health profession in the Army.. .. ..so can I get some help w/ making a decision?.. as of right now .. i dont have any preference to which one is better b/c they both sound very good to me.. so any additional info would b nicE!

Been hashed out several times on the boards - recommend doing some searches.

hey armyDDS, i'm applying for the army right now.. talked to a recruiter in person today.. I really like everything she said about the army , i used to thought army was like hell (but shes ' a recruiter, cant' really trust everything i guess).. but i also talked to a AF recruiter this week too.. and I like them too.. do you think its okay to apply to both as of right now (like applying for dental schools) and decide which one i really want to go after getting accepted?.. ..is that kinda of "dirty"?

You are only able to apply for 1 at a time - so do the research. Try to check out som bases - read the posts and make your choice. Things to consider are:

1) location - where do you want to live
2) how many people apply, when do you need to apply, how many scholarships
3) if you want to specialize

You are only able to apply for 1 at a time

So is that a fact?!!!?? .. i was wondering b/c i really want to be able to get the scholarship..

From my research, the AF does sound more appealing.. however.. the Army is also very good in my opinion.. i mean .. just like when applying for dental schools, i don think anyone just apply to their favorite school only... right?

the reason i said that is b/c i 've seen ppl complained that they apply for one branch and dont get it... and then it becomes too late to start w/ another branch.... ya know what i mean?.. but if its a fact that you could only even "apply" to just one branch at a time.. then nothing i could do..but does anyone know for sure?

thanks

So is that a fact?!!!?? .. i was wondering b/c i really want to be able to get the scholarship..

From my research, the AF does sound more appealing.. however.. the Army is also very good in my opinion.. i mean .. just like when applying for dental schools, i don think anyone just apply to their favorite school only... right?

the reason i said that is b/c i 've seen ppl complained that they apply for one branch and dont get it... and then it becomes too late to start w/ another branch.... ya know what i mean?.. but if its a fact that you could only even "apply" to just one branch at a time.. then nothing i could do..but does anyone know for sure?

thanks

I know that I was helping another individual that had applied with AF first. He was placed on the wait list. He applied with the Army, but before they could finalize his packet and send it up - he had to call the Air Force back and have them release some kind of hold they had on him so that the Army could process him through the system.

You can begin the paperwork for all the different services, but when it comes time for the physical - only the service taking you up there is going to get your physical results initially. You start letting on to other recruiters that you are applying with other services, the amount of time they invest in you or their attitude towards you will decrease.

Honestly it depends on your personality and your location. If you;re on the east coast, you have more options in terms of Army fort locations. I didn't thinka bout applying to the air force because they were all out of 4 year scholarships by the time I got around to the HPSP. In general, AF overall standard of living is better, the pay is the same. Why? It might be due to the fact that many HS kids join the army or marines and less join the AF?

Don't believe your recruiter because ultimately, he or she doesn't know what it is really like. The best way to gauge what you'll experience is to visit a base and speak to the general dentists working there and ask them personally. These dentists will tell you the truth!

When you get sent on your physical, they will give you time to visit these dentists so make sure to make time and ask them questions.