30 day limits per fill for C-III drugs and patient access issues

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

beautifulrobot

Opinions are my own
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I came across an interesting question from a friend up in Massachusetts, where state law limits schedule III controlled substances to a 30-day supply per fill (Section 23). Say you have a patient who has a real allergy to the cottonseed oil that testosterone cypionate is suspended in, so they are prescribed testosterone enanthate (suspended in sesame oil) 200 mg IM q2weeks. Testosterone enanthate is supplied in 5 ml multi-dose vials of 200 mg/mL only, so one vial of T enanthate exceeds the 30-day supply limit. Is the patient out of luck? Can the prescriber and pharmacist work it out where the prescription is written with a "discard remainder after 30 days" (which would also bring the prescription in compliance with USP standards), or would dispensing the 5 ml vial still violate the law?

Members don't see this ad.

I came across an interesting question from a friend up in Massachusetts, where state law limits schedule III controlled substances to a 30-day supply per fill (Section 23). Say you have a patient who has a real allergy to the cottonseed oil that testosterone cypionate is suspended in, so they are prescribed testosterone enanthate (suspended in sesame oil) 200 mg IM q2weeks. Testosterone enanthate is supplied in 5 ml multi-dose vials of 200 mg/mL only, so one vial of T enanthate exceeds the 30-day supply limit. Is the patient out of luck? Can the prescriber and pharmacist work it out where the prescription is written with a "discard remainder after 30 days" (which would also bring the prescription in compliance with USP standards), or would dispensing the 5 ml vial still violate the law?
I would expect the smallest package size to be acceptable. When I was working in MA the 1mL vials of Test Cyp were on backorder for a while and we just filled the 10mL and documented it. I never heard much from the state on controlled substance issues there. The DEA seemed more involved, and the 30 day limit isn’t a federal issue.

Reactions: 4 users

I would go with the discard remainder route since it's a multi-dose vial, but let the md know so that the pt doesn't run out of refills early.

Reactions: 1 user