30 yr old Nursing Home Administrator going to Med School...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NHA2MedSchool

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone, here we go. Would love some advice / encouragement on this.

On the verge of making a massive change here at 30 years old. Since graduating college at the age of 21, I dove straight into the business world after graduating with a Bachelor's in Healthcare Administration with a concentration in long term care. Shortly after passing my Nursing Home Administrator's boards, I was hired to run a post acute facility (SNF) in South Florida. Loved every minute of it when it came to the quality of care side of the business and getting to know patients / families, working with nursing, therapy, social services, the hospitals etc... Downside was very cut throat profit targets / demands which I excelled at, but didn't necessarily love.

In 2012 I left the Nursing Home business and bought a few hotels. Fast forward 5 years later, they are under contract to be sold and I find myself searching for what my next venture will be. The hotel business was great from a monetary stand point but rock bottom from a point of finding purpose in helping others, which I feel VERY called to do, and do so in my personal volunteering time.

I am wrapping up a few pre-reqs right now and prepping for the MCAT. I am happily married, and have a brilliant 2 year old boy. We plan on growing our little fam soon, and I am wanting to know if I am crazy for attempting to go to medical school while maintaining my family life, which is a high priority of mine. Does anyone have experience / wisdom they can share of being a good medical student, husband, and father? That is my only worry. I have zero worries as to whether or not I am passionate enough to achieve my goals, but worry about dragging my family through it and the 80 hour weeks that come with it. Any wise words / constructive advice / knowledge is so appreciated.

One last note, are my chances of med-school admission lower due to being 30?

Thanks all,

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Does anyone have experience / wisdom they can share of being a good medical student, husband, and father?

It can be done, but there are only so many hours in the day and only so much you can do during those hours. Part of what makes the balancing act successful is your diligence and the support you have at home. Advice I got when I was on the interview trail was "if it's important, you'll make time for it". He was right. In my case, my academics suffered a bit, but that was the compromise I chose to make.

One last note, are my chances of med-school admission lower due to being 30?

I would think not, at least at my school. I can see why other schools might have a bias against older ages, though: we tend to come with divided attentions and commitments that mean more to us than the classroom, as you well know. A good school, and one you should want to go to, will view that as a strength.