30P MCAT - 3.65 cGPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mfenn48

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi SDN People,

Hey guys, help me out here. I'm a mathematics major at Penn State's main campus. I've finally had the damned AMCAS and AACOMAS submitted to medical schools and started receiving secondary applications.

I took the MCAT in May and wound up with a 30P (11 P, 8 V, 11 B). I've never done well on verbal standardized tests. (I had an 800 in the math section on my SAT, but could never hit above a 570 verbal.) My advisor wanted me to retake the MCAT to raise my verbal score, but no matter what I do and how I study, I always hit an 8 (rarely a 9) on the verbal sections of the AAMC practice exams.

I have a cumulative grade point of a 3.65. My first three semesters were a 3.35 and everything after those semesters has been a 3.9. My math GPA is the main reason my cumulative is low. (400-level theoretical math classes have a tendency to not only bore you to death, but have a negative impact on your grades.) In all the pre-required classes for med schools (inorganic chem, organic chem, physics, bio) I've made a 3.82.

I've got 8 months of financial mathematics research under my belt, and 200 hours of physician shadowing. I'm actively involved in THON at Penn State which helps the families of children diagnosed with pediatric cancer. I also play on club hockey and golf teams.

This summer, I'm working as an intern (not the 1st year resident kind) in various Emergency Rooms across western Pennsylvania. I organize patient charts, place labels on EKGs and lab work, and help the ER staff with minor procedures. Granted, I'm not allowed to preform/help preform any procedure on the patients, but I am allowed to help clean wounds and collect pus. (I'm now really good at collecting pus.) I get to work daylight, evening, and night shifts in the ER and work 30-50 hours per week.

If anyone has any ideas on my chances at MD or DO schools, I'd be more than appreciative to hear them!!

Thanks!
You are a shoo-in for DO. For MD it is a 50/50.

Yup. Decent chance at MD if you apply broadly enough. Should be fine for DO.