WAMC/School List 2023 Cycle, cGPA 3.67/sGPA 3.65/508 MCAT, URM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bugsbunny993

Reaction score
Hi wonderful WAMC folks, I just got my mcat score back today. I really need some advice on whether I should apply MD/PhD this upcoming cycle, or postpone a year to retake mcat. I will be taking a gap year, since I'm in my 4th year going to apply this cycle. I haven't thought about what schools I'm applying to. I am hoping to apply to MD/PhD and I need a reality check.

cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS or AACOMAS cGPA: 3.67 sGPA: 3.65

MCAT score(s) and breakdown 508 (129/122/130/127) Yes, cars was bad. Debating retake on what some people suggest here

State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US) California

Ethnicity and/or race Latino (Mexican and Guatemalan)

Undergraduate institution or category T5 UC School, 4th yr, Chemistry and Bio double major

Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer) 300hrs ED Volunteer by time of application ~1 yr volunteering. Typical scut work like picking up meds, blankets, water, food, restocking, discharging patients, and having many convos with patients.

Starting COPE Health Scholar Volunteering ~72 hrs by time of app. A lot more hands on patient care, I was really craving that since in the ED I am very limited on what I am allowed to do. So I applied and will start soon

Research experience and productivity Around 3600 research hrs by time of application. Been in same lab for over 3 yr 8 mo Immunology and Cancer research. Research fellowship in the same lab straight out of high school (oral and poster pres after fellowship). Now paid “student researcher” in the same lab, after leaving the research program that started paying me in 2nd year. 2 small grants for small research side projects. 1 national conference poster + 2 other posters for campus research program. 1 Clinical trial paper publishing soon (middle author). 1 other nature paper expected to be published by app time (middle author). Maybe 2 more papers if lucky on novel immunotherapy targets (did significant work for). Secured lab tech position for after graduation in the same lab if that matters.

Shadowing experience and specialties represented >200 hrs outpatient neurology spread over a year. Same person in my research lab who is doing the clinical trial paper

Non-clinical volunteering Haven't started doing something, but I really want to do some soup kitchen work

Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc) VP of car club on campus. And Co founder of journal club (research articles). I play tennis (non competitively). Also mild audiophile if that seems interesting.

During my gap year, I will be getting my clin hours up, more research projects started, and a lot of non clin volunteering.

Relevant honors or awards
Dean's honor list most quarters
STEM scholarship
2 abstract grants

Anything else not listed you think might be important Was working almost full time at a restaurant since high school, and first 2 years of college , until starting to get paid through research program
I think me being disadvantaged may be something to keep in mind.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your MCAT of 508 is not competitive for MD/PhD programs so concentrate on MD schools and I suggest these:
UCSD
UC Davis
UC Riverside (if you are from that region)
UCLA
UCSF
USC Keck
Kaiser
California University
Loma Linda (if you fit their mission)
Arizona (Phoenix and Tucson)
TCU
Creighton
Loyola
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Miami
Tulane
NOVA MD
Wake Forest
Virginia Commonwealth
George Washington
Georgetown
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Hackensack
Einstein
New York Medical College
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Tufts

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Your MCAT of 508 is not competitive for MD/PhD programs so concentrate on MD schools and I suggest these:
UCSD
UC Davis
UC Riverside (if you are from that region)
UCLA
UCSF
USC Keck
Kaiser
California University
Loma Linda (if you fit their mission)
Arizona (Phoenix and Tucson)
TCU
Creighton
Loyola
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Miami
Tulane
NOVA MD
Wake Forest
Virginia Commonwealth
George Washington
Georgetown
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Hackensack
Einstein
New York Medical College
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Tufts
Thank you so much for the helpful list! I may just apply MD/PhD to my current uni, and MD for all others :)

Please keep in mind my observation about needing non-clinical volunteering before you apply.
Definitely. I need to put in a good amount of hours. Thank you for pointing that out. Generally, what is a safe amount of hours to reach for non clinical volunteering? I was planning on 4hrs per week til June and going forward, but I could always take up another shift to volunteer wherever I plan to go to.

Definitely. I need to put in a good amount of hours. Thank you for pointing that out. Generally, what is a safe amount of hours to reach for non clinical volunteering? I was planning on 4hrs per week til June and going forward, but I could always take up another shift to volunteer wherever I plan to go to.
The minimum threshold for most schools from my experience on committees is 150 hours, meaning you won't be rejected at most programs for not having enough hours summarily if you reach this threshold for hours COMPLETED by application. Doing 4 hours a week for a year (50 weeks) gets you to 200 hours, just to give you a comparison.

Reactions: 1 user
The minimum threshold for most schools from my experience on committees is 150 hours, meaning you won't be rejected at most programs for not having enough hours summarily if you reach this threshold for hours COMPLETED by application. Doing 4 hours a week for a year (50 weeks) gets you to 200 hours, just to give you a comparison.
Oh wow… I would really have to grind hours out… I wish I had learned about this sooner