DO WAMC for DO schools. cGPA: 3.5, sGPA: 3.65, MCAT: 500

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smiar0305

Reaction score
Hello, I wanted to get some perspectives on whether I should try to retake my MCAT or apply with my current score.

ORM from NY, disadvantaged background (no family at all in the country. Been on my own since 16. idk if that helps)

cGPA: 3.5
sGPA: 3.65 (might be a little higher)
MCAT: 500
ECs: 500 hours of scribing, 50 hours shadowing, ~200 hours of volunteering.

I’m okay with getting into any type of DO school. I’m only focused on AACOMAS because of my stats. Is it worth applying with a 500? Or should I start studying for a retake? My FLs were 503-509. I also do not have a DO LOR, but I do have a strong MD LOR. Any suggestion is appreciated.
@Goro, @Faha, I’d appreciate some feedback. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, I wanted to get some perspectives on whether I should try to retake my MCAT or apply with my current score.

ORM from NY, disadvantaged background (no family at all in the country. Been on my own since 16. idk if that helps)

cGPA: 3.5
sGPA: 3.65 (might be a little higher)
MCAT: 500
ECs: 500 hours of scribing, 50 hours shadowing, ~200 hours of volunteering.

I’m okay with getting into any type of DO school. I’m only focused on AACOMAS because of my stats. Is it worth applying with a 500? Or should I start studying for a retake? My FLs were 503-509. I also do not have a DO LOR, but I do have a strong MD LOR. Any suggestion is appreciated.
@Goro, @Faha, I’d appreciate some feedback. Thank you.
I suggest a retake if want to target the better DO schools, but suggest getting that DO shadowing in, as well as a LOR.

As of right now, you can target:
KCOM
UIW
MUCOM
KYCOM
WVSOM
ACOM
WCU
all VCOMs except LA
LECOM (all)
NYITCOM.AR
CUSOM (maybe)

I suggest a retake if want to target the better DO schools, but suggest getting that DO shadowing in, as well as a LOR.

As of right now, you can target:
KCOM
UIW
MUCOM
KYCOM
WVSOM
ACOM
WCU
all VCOMs except LA
LECOM (all)
NYITCOM.AR
CUSOM (maybe)
Thanks for your input. In my scribe job, I actually did work with a DO for quite a while. I just didn’t get a chance to ask for an LOR. I also got to see OMM in an urgent care setting.
When do you think I should retake my MCAT by? I was thinking Sep-Oct unless you think that’s too late?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your input. In my scribe job, I actually did work with a DO for quite a while. I just didn’t get a chance to ask for an LOR. I also got to see OMM in an urgent care setting.
When do you think I should retake my MCAT by? I was thinking Sep-Oct unless you think that’s too late?
Nope, that's not late for DO