30Q MCAT (silly spread), Poor GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Japika

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
24 year old male.
Florida residency.

oGPA is 3.47
BCPM GPa is 3.47

There is an upward trend (mostly over the last two years though).

Two bachelors degrees (Biology and Psychology). Minors in Physics and Chemistry.

Took the MCAT before I applied to graduate school (2005). Got a 21Q (5VR, 8PS, 8BS Q). I did not prepare in any real capacity. Decided to spend some time in graduate school.

In graduate school. I was diagnosed with ADHD. I decided to give the MCAT another try. With the treatment I was able to study hard for about a month. Wasn't able to prepare much after that because of work and school. I didn't even take a single full length practice test. I only had 3 hours of sleep when I took the MCAT (stress induced insomnia). I did however go through all of my Princeton Review verbal reasoning passages. I say this because I feel I was under-prepared for the exam and as a bad disadvantage given the sleep deprivation.

Umm I took the MCAT and did much better than I anticipated coming out of the exam (but not what I was hopping for when I first started studying (I was hoping for a 33 when I started studying)). I ended up getting a 30Q. The problem is, the spread is for lack of a better word, ridiculous.
My most recent score from the MCAT I took this year was a 30Q
I got a 8VR, 8PS and a 14BS Q Writing.

That is, when I started studying, I wanted a 33. Didn't study enough, took the exam, thought I did poorly (nearly canceled my scores), found out I got a 30Q with a silly spread (8,8,14,Q). Overall seems like it can work for me, however, I fear two 8's will be a deal breaker and no schools will consider me.

I have a feeling I am going to need to take it again.
I am not against applying to DO schools.

Advice?
By the way, I am a graduate student right now (masters degree in Molecular Biology).

240 clinical hours (75 surgical). 60 hours shadowing two Osteopathic physicians (Family med and Internal med). Both offered to write LORs for me.

Currently serving as a co-director of outreach for stand up for kids here in Miami.
Currently volunteering with a hospice organization.

Tutored for 3 years (120 hours of student interaction).
Served as a volunteer TA for two semesters.
Served as a graduate teaching assistant for Anatomy and Physiology (2 semesters) and Neuroscience (2 semesters).

Three years of Molecular biology research (bio level 2 working with HIV).
One year of Cognitive psychology research.
Four months of translational / biomedical research (obesity research) at a private research institute.

I am going to just send this thread as is. I could go on for hours listing things about myself that I feel relate to this field but would rather not bore you with needless details. If there are any other things that would help you in advising me, please let me know.

Two 8's mean retake?

Members don't see this ad.

Retake and try and get a balanced score, focus a lot more on BR and PS. You probably know a lot about BS seeing that you got a 14. Doesn't mean you don't study for it though.
GPA is around ok. You are def competitive for DO. I suggest applying very early an having everything done. According to sector9's sexy graph, if you can get that 34-35 balanced MCAT, along with the GPA, you have around a 67-73% chance of getting in.

Beleive me, you're fine. Quit fussing and start applying!

24 year old male.
Florida residency.

oGPA is 3.47
BCPM GPa is 3.47

There is an upward trend (mostly over the last two years though).

Two bachelors degrees (Biology and Psychology). Minors in Physics and Chemistry.

Took the MCAT before I applied to graduate school (2005). Got a 21Q (5VR, 8PS, 8BS Q). I did not prepare in any real capacity. Decided to spend some time in graduate school.

In graduate school. I was diagnosed with ADHD. I decided to give the MCAT another try. With the treatment I was able to study hard for about a month. Wasn't able to prepare much after that because of work and school. I didn't even take a single full length practice test. I only had 3 hours of sleep when I took the MCAT (stress induced insomnia). I did however go through all of my Princeton Review verbal reasoning passages. I say this because I feel I was under-prepared for the exam and as a bad disadvantage given the sleep deprivation.

Umm I took the MCAT and did much better than I anticipated coming out of the exam (but not what I was hopping for when I first started studying (I was hoping for a 33 when I started studying)). I ended up getting a 30Q. The problem is, the spread is for lack of a better word, ridiculous.
My most recent score from the MCAT I took this year was a 30Q
I got a 8VR, 8PS and a 14BS Q Writing.

That is, when I started studying, I wanted a 33. Didn't study enough, took the exam, thought I did poorly (nearly canceled my scores), found out I got a 30Q with a silly spread (8,8,14,Q). Overall seems like it can work for me, however, I fear two 8's will be a deal breaker and no schools will consider me.

I have a feeling I am going to need to take it again.
I am not against applying to DO schools.

Advice?
By the way, I am a graduate student right now (masters degree in Molecular Biology).

240 clinical hours (75 surgical). 60 hours shadowing two Osteopathic physicians (Family med and Internal med). Both offered to write LORs for me.

Currently serving as a co-director of outreach for stand up for kids here in Miami.
Currently volunteering with a hospice organization.

Tutored for 3 years (120 hours of student interaction).
Served as a volunteer TA for two semesters.
Served as a graduate teaching assistant for Anatomy and Physiology (2 semesters) and Neuroscience (2 semesters).

Three years of Molecular biology research (bio level 2 working with HIV).
One year of Cognitive psychology research.
Four months of translational / biomedical research (obesity research) at a private research institute.

I am going to just send this thread as is. I could go on for hours listing things about myself that I feel relate to this field but would rather not bore you with needless details. If there are any other things that would help you in advising me, please let me know.

Two 8's mean retake?