31 MDs and 7 DOs. Should I add more schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

westsidestoryz

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Was wondering if I should add more school just to make sure I put myself in the best possible situation. I feel like I applied to most schools that I am competitive for and that are OOS friendly.

Any suggestion on other schools? Just a bit anxious as I have received 2 DO interview invites and no MD interviews.

Major: Finance (Graduated), switched to pre-med during my senior year. Completed my pre-reqs in about a year.

Asian, California resident

Here are my numbers:
MCAT:
1st MCAT: 502 (5/20/17)
2nd MCAT: 510 (127, 126, 129, 128) (4/21/18)

GPA:
oGPA: 3.35
sGPA: 3.39
Post-bacc GPA: 3.79 (19 units, all pre-req courses)

ECs:
ER department volunteer: 210+ hours
Shadowing: 60+ hours (all MDs)
Research: 1 year, no publication. Ended in August 2017
Medical clinic in Mexico: 84+ hours continuing
Free tutor for underserved students: 38+ hours
Soup kitchen: 60+ hours continuing
Mission trip to Africa: 336+ hours
Couple leadership positions (Academic and non-academic)
Employment with a company that works with adults with mental disabilities: 999+ hours
Employment with a Medical group working with Case Managers: 999+ hours Current

5 LORs: 3 science professors, 1 MD, 1 supervisor (Disabilities job)

Here are my schools (all secondaries completed. None received yet from UCLA, Irvine, and Davis)

AZCOM - Accepted
CCOM
NYITCOM
Western-Pomona - Interview accepted
Touro-CA
Tuft
GW - Hold for re-review
NYMC
Wake Forest
Drexel
Geisinger
Saint Louis
MCW
Rush
Temple
Wayne State
Rosalind Franklin
Tulane
Quinnipiac
Vermont
Loma Linda
Loyola
Oakland
Georgetown
Nova
UCSD - Hold for re-review
EVMS
Brown
Riverside
Albany
PCOM
Touro-NV
VCU
Seton
Cali SOM
UCLA
UC Davis
UC Irvine

Skipped secondaries for Miami, Michigan State, and VTech

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would consider a few more DO. Your GPA is rather low for MD unless you have a rising grade trend
Junior and Senior GPAs were the worst but post-bacc GPA shows a slight upward trend? (4 semesters worth, not sure if that means anything).

Any DO schools will be fine? And what about MDs?

Four semesters of 19 hours total I don’t think would give MD ADCOMS the assurance they need to see you are up to the rigors of med school. And your post bacc GPA is only 3.7 despite taking about one class a semester. Much of your clinical work is in foreign countries and your nonclinical
volunteering needs work.. But the main issue is your GPA. The average GPA for med school acceptedes is 3.7 so you can see you are well below that. Do your best at your DO interviews and don’t count on MD. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Four semesters of 19 hours total I don’t think would give MD ADCOMS the assurance they need to see you are up to the rigors of med school. And your post bacc GPA is only 3.7 despite taking about one class a semester. Much of your clinical work is in foreign countries and your nonclinical
volunteering needs work.. But the main issue is your GPA. The average GPA for med school acceptedes is 3.7 so you can see you are well below that. Do your best at your DO interviews and don’t count on MD. Good luck!

I scored the highest in my Biochem class despite being a finance major and that prof wrote my LOR. So hopefully it can alleviate that doubt?

Thanks! I actually loved AZCOM but the tuition is so expensive so I am just hoping for other cheaper schools.

I would not even worry about adding new schools. It is later in the season and if MD is not meant to be then its not meant to be but you have two interviews and I think you can take satisfaction in that so great job!

Was wondering if I should add more school just to make sure I put myself in the best possible situation. I feel like I applied to most schools that I am competitive for and that are OOS friendly.

Any suggestion on other schools? Just a bit anxious as I have received 2 DO interview invites and no MD interviews.

Major: Finance (Graduated), switched to pre-med during my senior year. Completed my pre-reqs in about a year.

Here are my numbers:
MCAT:

GPA:

ECs:
Employment with a company that works with adults with mental disabilities: 999+ hours

Here are my schools (all secondaries completed. None received yet from UCLA, Irvine, and Davis)

AZCOM - Interview attended. Awaiting decision
CCOM
NYITCOM
Touro-CA
Tuft
GW
NYMC
Wake Forest
Drexel
Geisinger
Saint Louis
MCW
Rush
Temple
Wayne State
Rosalind Franklin
Tulane
Quinnipiac
Vermont
Loma Linda
Loyola
Oakland
Georgetown - Hold for re-review
Nova
UCSD Hold for re-review
EVMS
Brown
Riverside
Albany
PCOM
Touro-NV
VCU
Seton
Cali SOM
UCLA
UC Davis
UC Irvine

UCLA, Brown, MSU, VaTech, UCR, UCSD, LOma Linda, were all donations

Add PacNW, westernOR, KCU, BCOM, MUCOM, VCOM

I scored the highest in my Biochem class despite being a finance major and that prof wrote my LOR. So hopefully it can alleviate that doubt?

You really think one class (that you probably took by itself) will alleviate ADCOM doubt about you being able to deal with the rigors of med school? It won’t. You do realize that there are thousands of applicants with stellar applications, right? Do your best with your interviews at the DO schools and be thankful for the interviews you have.

You really think one class (that you probably took by itself) will alleviate ADCOM doubt about you being able to deal with the rigors of med school? It won’t. You do realize that there are thousands of applicants with stellar applications, right? Do your best with your interviews at the DO schools and be thankful for the interviews you have.
lol I am thankful. If i got in AZCOM, I would def go there (beautiful campus and awesome faculty members). Just trying to get some opinion. Just feel like I could have done better on the interview and want to prepare for the worst.

Reactions: 1 user
Regarding your speculation, I took the course with 2 other science classes w/labs. Don't mean to be petty here, but just laying it out there

Here are my numbers:
MCAT:

GPA:

ECs:

AZCOM - Interview attended. Awaiting decision
CCOM
NYITCOM
Touro-CA
Tuft
GW
NYMC
Wake Forest
Drexel
Geisinger
Saint Louis
MCW
Rush
Temple
Wayne State
Rosalind Franklin
Tulane
Quinnipiac
Vermont
Loma Linda
Loyola
Oakland
Georgetown - Hold for re-review
Nova
UCSD Hold for re-review
EVMS
Brown
Riverside
Albany
PCOM
Touro-NV
VCU
Seton
Cali SOM
UCLA
UC Davis
UC Irvine

Agree with adding more DO schools. btw-accepted at Western Pomona: what was the time interval between secondary and interview?
Thank you

Sent from my SM-J730GM using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Agree with adding more DO schools. btw-accepted at Western Pomona: what was the time interval between secondary and interview?
Thank you

Sent from my SM-J730GM using SDN mobile

Submitted secondary on 07/14 and received II on 08/06 and scheduled for 09/27