MD 38 MCAT, 3.55 GPA (3.53 SCPM GPA)- Chances??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

K12O

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, first time poster here. Already submitted my primary app, and feel pretty good (well, as good as one could feel when submitting apps for med school...) about PS and work/activities. Like I said, 38 MCAT and a GPA around 3.55 (almost identical for science and total because the vast majority of my classes have been science/math).

About the GPA, I don't know if it matters (please tell me if it does or doesn't!!), but I attend a school that quite clearly has grade deflation. The "proof" of this is that it has a 70% acceptance rate despite the average applicant having a 3.45 GPA. Also, my major (Physics) tends to have lower grades as well.

I'm applying to a lot of schools, but the ones I'm most interested are here (btw I'm a CA native):

UCLA
UCSF
UCSD
USC
Emory
BU
Vanderbilt
Loyola
Columbia
UVA
Tufts
Duke (a reach, I know)

How do things look? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

What do your EC's look like?

I think numbers wise you are competitive at most schools, especially if you go to a known grade-deflating school. For the top schools you may wanna see if you fall in the 10-90% range GPA wise; if you do, then its worth applying because your MCAT is amazing.

But yeah, it depends on what your ECs look like.

Members don't see this ad :)
Might wanna check out my chance thread here, we have pretty similar stats!

If it helps, here are the spark notes of my ECs: Three significant research experiences, and two of them are in physics dealing with radiation (one with proton radiation as a treatment for cancer), which I would imagine are relatively unique given physics is a rare major for pre-meds. I spent significant time shadowing two surgeons this summer and last, during which I also had an internship for a company developing technology to treat phantom limb syndrome. Tutoring my university's student-athletes, volunteering abroad and working as an employee for a surgery center about round it off. I also included study abroad at the behest of my advisor.

I think they are good, it's just a matter of are they good enough to make up for a lackluster GPA. I keep hoping they'll just look at my GPA from last year... by far my highest after a tough sophomore year.

Lost_Premed, I checked out that thread and I am applying to a lot of the schools you and everyone talked about being good fits! That definitely made me feel better about the schools I chose. That being said, I do think that the idea "Med schools don't care about where you went to Undergrad" is ridiculous. No way they are comparing GPAs from schools like MIT, UChicago, UC Berkely to state schools or schools like Harvard that are notorious for inflation.

Reactions: 1 user
Let's assume for a second that your school is not especially rigorous. A 3.55/38, even from Ca, has a very solid chance of getting into an MD school somewhere. That being said, unless you are from CalTech I don't think AdCom's are really going to consider any of the Ca schools as especially severe grade deflators. Maybe UCB.

If it helps, here are the spark notes of my ECs: Three significant research experiences, and two of them are in physics dealing with radiation (one with proton radiation as a treatment for cancer), which I would imagine are relatively unique given physics is a rare major for pre-meds. I spent significant time shadowing two surgeons this summer and last, during which I also had an internship for a company developing technology to treat phantom limb syndrome. Tutoring my university's student-athletes, volunteering abroad and working as an employee for a surgery center about round it off. I also included study abroad at the behest of my advisor.

I think they are good, it's just a matter of are they good enough to make up for a lackluster GPA. I keep hoping they'll just look at my GPA from last year... by far my highest after a tough sophomore year.

Lost_Premed, I checked out that thread and I am applying to a lot of the schools you and everyone talked about being good fits! That definitely made me feel better about the schools I chose. That being said, I do think that the idea "Med schools don't care about where you went to Undergrad" is ridiculous. No way they are comparing GPAs from schools like MIT, UChicago, UC Berkely to state schools or schools like Harvard that are notorious for inflation.
Some of the best schools out there are state schools. UCB is a prime example.

I don't go to school in CA, I just live here.
And you're completely right, I didn't mean to say ALL state schools are easy. But it's without question that many aren't nearly as rigorous as top 20 schools.

And you're completely right, I didn't mean to say ALL state schools are easy. But it's without question that many aren't nearly as rigorous as top 20 schools.
The advice will vary greatly depending on which state(s) you are a resident in. You haven't given us enough info to compromise your anonymity, so don't worry. Which state(s) are you a resident in?

I know, Ca schools are just particularly kicka**. Our public schools (even middle to low tier UCs) are better than most other states private schools.

I live in CA but go to school in IA. Should be pretty obvious which school I go to now.
If that isn't clear enough, I'm a CA resident. Going to school in IA might get me some bonus points, but who knows.

I live in CA but go to school in IA. Should be pretty obvious which school I go to now.
If that isn't clear enough, I'm a CA resident. Going to school in IA might get me some bonus points, but who knows.
Even if you had an IA residency, I don't think it would really help you unfortunately. I think you're fine. Apply broadly and early as a Ca applicant and go to med school.

Gotcha. Yah, that's been my philosophy from the start, apply everywhere and get in somewhere. Was kinda just hoping to get an opinion on maybe the schools I listed- I applied to "easier" ones (none are really easy...) but the hope is one on that list.

I think your ECs are good, and you should aim for research-focused schools (i.e. mainly the top 25) - just be sure to check MSAR to see if your GPA falls above 10%ile. for example Harvard and Hopkins have a 10%ile at like 3.7, so they are probably not be worth applying to, but Duke has one of like 3.5, so your GPA falls in it. Your undergrad will obviously be taken into account to some extent and coupled with your MCAT.

Apply to like 15-20 schools. Your current list is a good base.

Look into: Einstein, Rochester, Cornell, NYU, Sinai, Pitt (loves research), Case (loves research), Northwestern, Miami, Temple, Jefferson, Vermont, SLU, Cincinnati, Ohio State, U Arizona (both)

Grade deflation isn't what matters. It matters whether your school is a feeder to med schools and has established success with this. Sounds like you go to a school like Vanderbilt or somewhere along those lines.

Grinnell seems like better guess than Vandy, given the state of IA.