3rd-4th Year AZcomers ,PCOMers & TUcomers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

F/A-18

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Where do you guys live when you are on your rotations?
AZCOM do you move out of student housing? TUCOM do you still stay on the island? PCOM do you move around Philly? If the rotations are scattered about the state where do you live?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure how it works for the other schools, but at PCOM the school offers "home" and "away" rotations. For the away rotations we are provided housing from the hospitals either in the form of dorm/call rooms, apartments, or houses (unless the hospital does not provide housing which is very unlikely). For home rotations the sites are within Philadelphia and the surrounding suburbs, therefore you can live wherever you did during your first two years.

Some students give up their apartments during third and forth year and go away for all of their rotations to save some money. This is a good idea, but can be difficult because we do have a month of Radiology and a week of OPP that we are required to do at PCOM (not to mention that some of these students complain of getting sick of "living out of their car").

As for how you choose "home" and "away" rotations that gets decided during second year when you meet with your rotation group and choose your hospitals. There are a lot of home and away sites so there is usually not a problem picking for most rotations.

Hope this helps!

thanks abs,

i'd been wondering about all this stuff myself. so what did you opt to do? a lot of "home" or a lot of "away?" what do you suggest? thanks.

Scott
PCOM-MSII

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Scott,

Last year at this time, I was in the same boat as you wondering about all of these things because PCOM isn't the best at disseminating this info (surprise, surprise).

For myself, I decided to do three "away" rotations and the rest here for this year. The reason being is that I did not want to give up my apartment, constantly have to pack at the end of a rotation, and I am not a big fan of dorm life/public bathrooms. However, there were three hospitals outside of the philly region that I wanted to check out, so those are my "away" rotations.

When deciding on where to go for your rotations, you should try to go to the hospitals that you might be interested in for your residency (even if it's not for the speciality that you want to do). For example, I am on a rotation now that I know I would never want to do, however, a spot opened up at a hospital that I would be interested in doing my residency at. So, needless to say, I took it.

As for deciding which hospitals/health systems you would be interested in doing your residency at, you should decide what residencies you might be leaning towards and then through the AOA webpage you can look up hospitals that offer that residency and read up on them. If you're interested in Allopathic residencies then I guess you would need to look at Freida for the same information, although I am not 100% sure on that.

If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask. However, keep in mind that this is my 2 cents and someone else might see/do things differently :)

Take care,
abs

P.S. Don't forget to check out the blue rotation guide in the library. The information is relatively accurate. :)

abs,

thanks for the info...you know we need it. i've been trying to talk to as many 3rd and 4th years as i can to try and dig up all the goods on different plans, rotations, etc. , so what you've offered definitely helps. i'll be sure to check out that book in the library...thanks for the heads up.

now back to GI...you know how Fogel is. he's killin us! good luck.

take care,
Scott
PCOM-MSII

TUCOM does not provide free housing for us. The housing on the island is shrinking since the old housing on the island is being destroyed to make way for new development. Therefore, it is very limited. Most pelople just get an apartment. Also, the vast majority of students are rotating in other parts of the bay area (san francisco, etc...) or out of state (vegas, ny, penn, etc..) so why live in vallejo anyway.

TUCOM 2003