3rd/4th year rotations far from campus

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Maigret Man

Nontrad premed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Folks,

I am considering UNECOM but I am a little concerned about having to move around for 3rd and 4th year rotations. I have a family so I am looking to settle in an area for at least a few years in med school.

Can any current students address this issue? From what I understand, you do them all in one location (PA, NJ, Maine, etc.). Is one area better than the rest in terms of pathology?

For students at other schools, is this an issue for you? Do you have to move to another area for rotations? From what I understand, schools such as CCOM and PCOM offer most 3rd and 4th year rotations around their main campuses. Are there others?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Maigret Man said:
Folks,

I am considering UNECOM but I am a little concerned about having to move around for 3rd and 4th year rotations. I have a family so I am looking to settle in an area for at least a few years in med school.

Can any current students address this issue? From what I understand, you do them all in one location (PA, NJ, Maine, etc.). Is one area better than the rest in terms of pathology?

For students at other schools, is this an issue for you? Do you have to move to another area for rotations? From what I understand, schools such as CCOM and PCOM offer most 3rd and 4th year rotations around their main campuses. Are there others?

Thanks!
NYCOM.

4th year at UNECOM here-

How the school works 3rd year rotations is that your class has a lottery to determine what site you will go to. I will tell you now that the Southern Maine site (which is right in Portland) always has too many people going for it. So yes, there is a possibility that you will not be able to camp out in one spot for all 4 years.

I am married with a husband and a house, and therefore tried for the S. Maine slot and didn't get it. Ended up going up an hour north to the Central Maine site in Augusta, living in the student housing during the week and coming home on weekends. I will be honest with you, I was pleasantly surprised. My first thought was how could you get an education in a small 140 bed hospital? But, being the only student on a service with usually no residents, I was able to work one to one with an attending, and also be able to get lots of procedures under my belt. And don't worry about pathology, you'll see enough anywhere you go. Plenty of didactics also.

4th year is all up to you. You decide where and what you want. Aside from a few out of state audition rotations, I will be camping out right here in Southern Maine. So bottom line is yes, it is possible to stay in one spot for all 4 years. It may take some work if you get a site that is not your first choice, but don't let this discourage you from looking at UNECOM. Any other ?? feel free to PM me-