3rd year aways?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

QuackaDO

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone know of some decent allopathic EM programs that allow 3rd year away rotations? I'm specifically thinking for the last 2 months of 3rd year after all your cores are finished. Seems all I've looked at have said must be 4th year but not sure what difference it makes if you rotate in June or July other than in June you're a 3rd year and July you're a 4th year but most seem to feel that way so hoping the collective knows of a few places that will take late 3rd yrs...

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone know of some decent allopathic EM programs that allow 3rd year away rotations? I'm specifically thinking for the last 2 months of 3rd year after all your cores are finished. Seems all I've looked at have said must be 4th year but not sure what difference it makes if you rotate in June or July other than in June you're a 3rd year and July you're a 4th year but most seem to feel that way so hoping the collective knows of a few places that will take late 3rd yrs...

Apply to the Vanderbilt special Emergency Medicine course in held in June. It is basically there intern orientation month. I can almost guarantee you that it is one of the best if not the best EM away in the country, no joke.

It is very atypical in the sense that you have a lot of lectures from two of the best EM teachers in the country and do a variety of shifts from high acuity, bread and butter, peds to special shifts like procedures, EMS and ortho.

In the end you will be ACLS certified and can literally rock out any other EM rotation no matter what.

Good luck and hope that helps.

PS: Special rotation only offered in June and you get a nice SLOR from it.

If there is a place that you are interested in, reach out and ask them about a end-of-year 3 rotation. They might be willing to accommodate you since you are almost a 4th year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh, trust me I have.... Just haven't gotten many affirmative replies and didn't feel like contacting 158 programs so was hoping someone already knew of some and looks like there are a few...

integris southwest takes 3rd years. i think hennepin does as well as long as you have had your IMs and surg cores

Corpus Christi takes 3rd years.

So... They say they take 3rd years, but then they won't if they have too many 4th years applying. Which is always...

I applied a month ago for my 3rd year elective this December. I tried for either the EM or the Emergency Ultrasound (which I was really excited about!), but they emailed back a few weeks later and said that they had too many 4th years and they always get preference. It was pretty disappointing. Integris does take 3rd years though! I plan on applying for that this week. Apparently they never turn anyone down...