3rd Year: Don't like any of my clinical rotations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think he is referring to being a pharmacist.
Ah, ok. Makes much more sense then. I was going to say - even physicians have to worry about medication interactions. But the OP's circumstance is not an uncommon scenario. There's a reason there is a huge drop in empathy by med students when the third year is over and the literature supports this phenomenon.

Members don't see this ad.

It frustrates me unto no end that people like you (not trying to be hateful) get into medical school because they did well in sciences but don't actually have a passion for medicine. And there are a plethora of people who don't get in who have the passion, but had slightly less than stellar stats and pursue other fields because they weren't "good enough"

Reactions: 1 user
It frustrates me unto no end that people like you (not trying to be hateful) get into medical school because they did well in sciences but don't actually have a passion for medicine. And there are a plethora of people who don't get in who have the passion, but had slightly less than stellar stats and pursue other fields because they weren't "good enough"

Jeez, burn a couch about it why don't you.
;)

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If it makes you feel any better, it sounds like OP is set to be miserable for the rest of his life.

Reactions: 1 users
:rolleyes:

I see @mimelim 's linking of this thread in the pre-allo forum has started to take effect...
More just a jealous premed pissed that someone who was more qualified in terms of academics got his spot.

Reactions: 3 users
That's my point.

mimelim posted it in pre-allo --> bitter premeds read and feel the need to get all Godwin's law up in here.
I guess I just can't understand the outrage by premeds and some people here. The OP has said that he liked the profession bc of the ability to make a major difference (this is debatable) in people's lives and his love of science. The salary/job security were more enticements and perks to the career.

Last edited:
There are plenty of excellent physicians and surgeons that went into the field for money or prestige or to please their parents or whatever. They are more likely to be unhappy with their career, but they're just as deserving of the right to choose to go into the field for whatever reasons are important to them as you are for the reasons that are important to you.

When these people turn out unhappy, as the OP, that is their bed and they must lie in it. They knew there was a chance of being miserable, they took it, and they lost. But that is their chance to take- their seat shouldn't just get handed to some lesser-qualified altruist because they don't have the right "feels" for the job.

More just a jealous premed pissed that someone who was more qualified in terms of academics got his spot.

If you are referring to me I haven't even applied yet, so don't be so quick to jump to conclusions. But yes, I am deemed a lower-tier applicant as it stands with a 3.3 sGPA and 35 MCAT.

That's my point.

mimelim posted it in pre-allo --> bitter premeds read and feel the need to get all Godwin's law up in here.

I particularly am not bitter, but I did find this thread URL in pre-allo.

There are plenty of excellent physicians and surgeons that went into the field for money or prestige or to please their parents or whatever. They are more likely to be unhappy with their career, but they're just as deserving of the right to choose to go into the field for whatever reasons are important to them as you are for the reasons that are important to you.

When these people turn out unhappy, as the OP, that is their bed and they must lie in it. They knew there was a chance of being miserable, they took it, and they lost. But that is their chance to take- their seat shouldn't just get handed to some lesser-qualified altruist because they don't have the right "feels" for the job.
What I was surprised at is they couldn't find even one specialty they liked. Not even one. Medicine has a specialty that matches nearly every personality type, even down to the asperger-like types.

I guess I just can't understand the outrage by premeds and some people here. The OP has said that he liked the profession bc of the ability to make a major difference (this is debatable) in people's lives and his love of science. The salary/job security were more enticements and perks to the career, not the sole reason he chose the field in the first place.
I don't know what thread you're reading:
So, I can lie and say I did it to help people. But really, I studied science in college and not much else, did not want to be looking into people's mouths all day nor think about medication interactions so medicine it was.
The competitiveness of getting into medical school is largely artificial as there is no shortage of demand in the workforce. Getting out of the academic circle jerk mentality, there really is no point in designating qualified vs more qualified vs most qualified valuations for pre-med applicants. Once you reach a certain threshold of performance, you're perfectly capable of becoming a perfectly capable physician.

If OP is reasonably qualified, I would readily be able to understand his outrage when he reads a post like this. Considering all the indoctrination that goes into creating the ideals of the perfect physician, this scenario is a huge slap in the face to most people.

I don't know what thread you're reading

The competitiveness of getting into medical school is largely artificial as there is no shortage of demand in the workforce. Getting out of the academic circle jerk mentality, there really is no point in designating qualified vs more qualified vs most qualified valuations for pre-med applicants. Once you reach a certain threshold of performance, you're perfectly capable of becoming a perfectly capable physician.

If OP is reasonably qualified, I would be able to perfectly understand his outrage when he reads a post like this, especially considering that we're indoctrinated early on to think that there are right and wrong reasons for becoming a doctor.
Thank you for parsing his quote. You left off his last sentence that was key:
"It's also a field that I felt would provide professional gratification that you are making a difference in the world."

Members don't see this ad :)
What I was surprised at is they couldn't find even one specialty they liked. Not even one. Medicine has a specialty that matches nearly every personality type, even down to the asperger-like types.
It sounds like OP wants a more exciting job than medicine can provide them with.

What about interventional rads, OP? It combines the cerebral bits of radiology with the excitement of life-and-death situations, plus you're not as isolated as traditional rads.

Thank you for parsing his quote. You left off his last sentence that was key:
"It's also a field that I felt would provide professional gratification that you are making a difference in the world."

I guess I am just curious as to why MD instead of Ph.D since it seems they enjoy the sciences and want to make a difference.

I guess I am just curious as to why MD instead of Ph.D since it seems they enjoy the sciences and want to make a difference.
Bc it didn't have the salary and job security. He also may have meant making a difference in people's lives.

I don't know what thread you're reading:

If OP is reasonably qualified, I would readily be able to understand his outrage when he reads a post like this. Considering all the indoctrination that goes into creating the ideals of the perfect physician, this scenario is a huge slap in the face to most people.
I've known some very, very good physicians that went into the field for prestige or money. Guys who are world-class researchers at a top 10 medical school. They are the reason that there is a good<better<best mentality to medical school admissions. Anyone can be a run-of-the-mill provider. But world-class educators and researchers are the best of the best, and only the best medical school applicants are usually capable of that level of performance. Some dude with lackluster ECs, a 3.3, and a 31 is likely to continue to be lackluster throughout his career, as premed is the easiest stage of medicine (despite what other people might state). If you can't do the easy part well, you most likely aren't just going to step it up and become some sort of uberdoctor over time.

Bc it didn't have the salary and job security. He also may have meant making a difference in people's lives.

That would make more sense. Did not mean to go on a rant, but it is frustrating when you see these things as an applicant with decent stats but a strong "why medicine"

I've known some very, very good physicians that went into the field for prestige or money. Guys who are world-class researchers at a top 10 medical school. They are the reason that there is a good<better<best mentality to medical school admissions. Anyone can be a run-of-the-mill provider. But world-class educators and researchers are the best of the best, and only the best medical school applicants are usually capable of that level of performance. Some dude with lackluster ECs, a 3.3, and a 31 is likely to continue to be lackluster throughout his career, as premed is the easiest stage of medicine (despite what other people might state). If you can't do the easy part well, you most likely aren't just going to step it up and become some sort of uberdoctor over time.
Is it the purpose of medical schools to train uber doctors?

rofl, that's me. I had lackluster ECs, a 3.3 and a 31 on my MCAT. I had no idea I was lackluster I thought I was a pretty good medical student. damn. Does a 239 on step 1 take me outside the lackluster range I earned with a 31 on my MCAT, or is 239 the new lackluster? Just trying to figure out where I am and if I am still lackluster, thanks

Is it the purpose of medical schools to train uber doctors?
It is the purpose of medical school to produce the best physicians that they can possibly produce. The more highly qualified candidates institutions produce, the more ground-breaking research we end up with, and the more lives that are subsequently saved. These physicians then teach other physicians, imparting their high level of skill and knowledge to the next generation and so on and so forth. Not every person with a stellar application is going to step up and be that top-tier physician, as many will grow tired and burn out, but by selecting the greatest number of highly qualified applicants, you have a larger chance of some of them ending up as top-notch physicians and researchers that change the world.

Mediocre physicians don't transform medicine or move it forward, they use the tools and research that are created by the truly excellent physicians. That is why schools aim to make as many top-notch doctors as they can- so that all of the ones that settle for mediocrity have the tools that they require to practice quality medicine. Medical breakthroughs that physicians use every day don't just make themselves.

rofl, that's me. I had lackluster ECs, a 3.3 and a 31 on my MCAT. I had no idea I was lackluster I thought I was a pretty good medical student. damn. Does a 239 on step 1 take me outside the lackluster range I earned with a 31 on my MCAT, or is 239 the new lackluster? Just trying to figure out where I am and if I am still lackluster, thanks
My point wasn't that mediocre applicants can't perform exceptionally well on standardized exams. It's that they are less likely to end up as the big movers of the medical world.

premed spotted

Reactions: 10 users
It is the purpose of medical school to produce the best physicians that they can possibly produce. The more highly qualified candidates institutions produce, the more ground-breaking research we end up with, and the more lives that are subsequently saved. These physicians then teach other physicians, imparting their high level of skill and knowledge to the next generation and so on and so forth. Not every person with a stellar application is going to step up and be that top-tier physician, as many will grow tired and burn out, but by selecting the greatest number of highly qualified applicants, you have a larger chance of some of them ending up as top-notch physicians and researchers that change the world.

Mediocre physicians don't transform medicine or move it forward, they use the tools and research that are created by the truly excellent physicians. That is why schools aim to make as many top-notch doctors as they can- so that all of the ones that settle for mediocrity have the tools that they require to practice quality medicine. Medical breakthroughs that physicians use every day don't just make themselves.

They have failed with me, cause I never plan on transforming medicine or "moving it forward". I want to be a clinician :D

Reactions: 8 users
My point wasn't that mediocre applicants can't perform exceptionally well on standardized exams. It's that they are less likely to end up as the big movers of the medical world.

Eh. Not all of us came to medicine from a traditional pre-med view and have various reasons for what our AMCAS app looked like. I still think of that as somewhat of an insulting statement.

But rather than drag it out as an argument I'm putting you on ignore. Don't really care to see your posts if lackluster people like myself don't exist in your mind, anyway. k thx bye

They have failed with me, cause I never plan on transforming medicine or "moving it forward". I want to be a clinician :D
Hey, there's nothing wrong with that. I want to be a clinician as well. But we need to medical schools to select for as many of those superdocs as we can so they can make the tools I need to practice in a way that is most beneficial to my patients.

Hey, there's nothing wrong with that. I want to be a clinician as well. But we need to medical schools to select for as many of those superdocs as we can so they can make the tools I need to practice in a way that is most beneficial to my patients.

Oh dont get me wrong, I agree, we DO need those people! Was just pointing out there are outliers to the med school's "master plan" they like to spout.

Eh. Not all of us came to medicine from a traditional pre-med view and have various reasons for what our AMCAS app looked like. I still think of that as somewhat of an insulting statement.

But rather than drag it out as an argument I'm putting you on ignore. Don't really care to see your posts if lackluster people like myself don't exist in your mind, anyway. k thx bye
:=|:-): You misunderstand much. I'm just saying medical school shouldn't primarily select for lackluster candidates. They should primarily select for the best of the best, as they do now, for numerous reasons that are beneficial to the medical profession as a whole.

Don't tell me you're an Ohio native;) can't escape you guys anywhere.

Does Ohio make fun of WVU too? I thought it was a Pitt thing. Then again the last backyard brawl was in 2011 so most current undergrads here don't really care about that old rivalry. It was fun though. :)

Oh dont get me wrong, I agree, we DO need those people! Was just pointing out there are outliers to the med school's "master plan" they like to spout.
Oh, totally. The thing is, if you've got 80 of those crazy smart kids in a class, maybe 10 or 15 of them will end up becoming big academic docs. The rest will want to settle down into PP, burn out, or just decide that the crazy life of an academic doc isn't what they want. But if we only had 20 of those kids to start with, we'd only end up with 2 or 3 world class researcher/educators.

Well since I am applying to only my state schools I shouldn't have problem having my spot taken by those who are trying to have a new ground breaking procedure named after them lol

Does Ohio make fun of WVU too? I thought it was a Pitt thing. Then again the last backyard brawl was in 2011 so most current undergrads here don't really care about that old rivalry. It was fun though. :)

I miss the rivalry so much! Best atmosphere in the stadium! And I don't really think Ohioans knock WVU per se, but we WV natives constantly knock OH for their constant driving in the passing lane lol

Well since I am applying to only my state schools I shouldn't have problem having my spot taken by those who are trying to have a new ground breaking procedure named after them lol
Depends on the state school. Mine heavily recruits for potential academics and researchers- you basically don't get considered without decent published work and a mid-30s MCAT.

Depends on the state school. Mine heavily recruits for potential academics and researchers- you basically don't get considered without decent published work and a mid-30s MCAT.

Both of mine are really known for rural medicine. They would probably be better known as safety schools if they weren't as IS favorable

I guess I just can't understand the outrage by premeds and some people here. The OP has said that he liked the profession bc of the ability to make a major difference (this is debatable) in people's lives and his love of science. The salary/job security were more enticements and perks to the career.

Yeah this you really don't know if you like medicine until you are doing it. Also gasp it is a career I know people like to spout out bs like do what you like for the rest of your life but the reality is much different. What would any of you do if not medicine? Could you even guarantee that you would get the job if it isn't professional school how hard you work doesn't mean you'll get the job.

*flies in out of left field* Some of us undergrads do still like to make fun of WVU ;)

Medicine is not an island unto itself. Other fields make big contributions to medicine like drug companies and PhD scientists. You are not describing physicians you are describing physician scientists. Being a good physician is more than being able to do research. I would say a person's research interests, publications, academic records and extracirriculars are more important than just strict academic performance

I wouldn't describe the vast majority of physicians that I have come in contact with as being involved in ground-breaking research or on the cusp of transforming medicine/moving it forward. As an increasingly protocol-driven profession, the field of medicine probably needs more competent clinicians than it does brilliant researchers.

What it especially doesn't need is brilliant students that end up as clinical doctors who hate their job and their patients.

There are so many differences between these fields it's hard to describe them all...It's like asking why you wouldn't want to be a physics major as an alternative to physiology. Enjoying learning basic science is very different than enjoying research.

Also, your stats aren't that weak, especially if you apply broadly/to DO schools. If you don't make it in first cycle, you can also take some additional classes to boost the GPA: it shouldn't be too hard.

Try not to get too bitter about the other applicants, it's a total waste of time and energy. You have no way of knowing what actually drives someone into another field, even if they state the reason. Just keep it in mind.

I wouldn't describe the vast majority of physicians that I have come in contact with as being involved in ground-breaking research or on the cusp of transforming medicine/moving it forward. As an increasingly protocol-driven profession, the field of medicine probably needs more competent clinicians than it does brilliant researchers.

What it especially doesn't need is brilliant students that end up as clinical doctors who hate their job and their patients.

meh, the whole "protocol"/"evidence based ...." stuff is probably here to stay to some extent, but I think there's going to be backlash at some point. The whole purpose of our model is to think outside of those protocols/guidelines. Admittedly my crystal ball isn't perfect. Hell, I barely even understand clinical practice atm.

But as I see it, the problems is that people are pretending our evidence/research is a little stronger than it is. Look at HRT, current diet research on fat vs carbs, the use of statins, chemotherapy regimens, etc. There's an awful lot of controversy, some of which gets glossed over.

It's better than letting people fall hopelessly out of date without any consequences, but I don't think they can create a perfect algorithm with our current tools.

meh, the whole "protocol"/"evidence based ...." stuff is probably here to stay to some extent, but I think there's going to be backlash at some point. The whole purpose of our model is to think outside of those protocols/guidelines. Admittedly my crystal ball isn't perfect. Hell, I barely even understand clinical practice atm.

But as I see it, the problems is that people are pretending our evidence/research is a little stronger than it is. Look at HRT, current diet research on fat vs carbs, the use of statins, chemotherapy regimens, etc. There's an awful lot of controversy, some of which gets glossed over.

It's better than letting people fall hopelessly out of date without any consequences, but I don't think they can create a perfect algorithm with our current tools.

There is controversy with statin use?

Not over the actual use. It's about a risk calculator for when to use them.

That example is a year out of date. It may no longer be accurate (but I sort of doubt it, you cardio people are scary).

The guidelines
http://circ.ahajournals.org/content/early/2013/11/11/01.cir.0000437738.63853.7a.full.pdf
a NYT summary of the controversy from last year
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/18/health/risk-calculator-for-cholesterol-appears-flawed.html?_r=0

Edit: that lancet article wasn't a summary, it was an advertisement fir the new guidelines with no new evidence. My bad, thats what i get for reading the first paragraph and posting it

The actual article where they get snippy over the calculator is behind a paywall..authors are cook And ridker

Edit2: i think this is that article..if interested, you can probably get a copy of it
http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(13)62388-0/fulltext

Last edited:
There's a good deal of controversy about whether prescribing statins under the new guidelines is going beyond prophylaxis and into treating healthy people that might have never had a problem even if they hadn't been on them. Also, dat risk/benefit ratio, so hard to assess in patients that are borderline healthy.

Anita Taylor's How to Choose Medical Specialty streamlined into a nice personality quiz.
http://schools.studentdoctor.net/selector

P.S. This is tongue-in-cheek.. I don't expect/encourage anyone to make life decisions based on an online quiz. But it was fun and interesting.

QUIT WHILE YOU STILL CAN.

Anita Taylor's How to Choose Medical Specialty streamlined into a nice personality quiz.
http://schools.studentdoctor.net/selector

P.S. This is tongue-in-cheek.. I don't expect/encourage anyone to make life decisions based on an online quiz. But it was fun and interesting.

Interesting...Seems pretty accurate for me. I got thoracic surgery as my first match with a 95% personality match. I would LOVE to go into CT surgery and it had been my first choice for a long time until I discovered what their lifestyle is like and their declining job market. I realized that as much as I loved surgery I wasn't willing to sacrifice my life and all of the other interests that I have outside of medicine to do it. But, who knows, I may end up changing my mind by the end of 4th year and going for it. On the other hand, I got anesthesiology as my second best match with a 90% personality match and this is the field I will most likely be going into followed by a cardiac fellowship. It just seems to offer a much better work/life balance during and after residency.

Goes to show that picking a medical specialty goes far beyond just "liking" or "loving" the field and having the personality for it. It is an extremely personal choice that requires a lot of introspection and a clear view of what your priorities are in life and what you hope your life will be like both at the hospital and outside of it.

Reactions: 2 users
There are so many differences between these fields it's hard to describe them all...It's like asking why you wouldn't want to be a physics major as an alternative to physiology. Enjoying learning basic science is very different than enjoying research.

Also, your stats aren't that weak, especially if you apply broadly/to DO schools. If you don't make it in first cycle, you can also take some additional classes to boost the GPA: it shouldn't be too hard.

Try not to get too bitter about the other applicants, it's a total waste of time and energy. You have no way of knowing what actually drives someone into another field, even if they state the reason. Just keep it in mind.

Thanks for the advice. I plan on applying to SMP here at WVU if I do not make it in next year. I try not to worry about other applicants because I know everyone is different.

A 239 is slightly above average. Not lackluster, but it's not something that knocks panties off either, given that the average for Step 1 is a 229 right now.

Reactions: 3 users