3rd Year: Don't like any of my clinical rotations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

channa115

CookieMonster
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
After grueling through 2nd year and being so happy to be done with that hell, I was excited and apprehensive about starting 3rd year. Now that it's more than half way through and having done Internal Medicine, Family Medicine, OB/GYN, Pediatrics and Surgery I've realized I like nothing. Nothing excites me enough that I feel like I can spend the rest of my life doing it.

I've realized the most important thing to me is that I have a good lifestyle and make a good income. Whether that sounds greedy or superficial I don't care because I've also realized a well balanced life is more important than spending your entire life dedicated to medicine. That being said I still want to specialize in something that interests me. Dermatology does not interest me, and definitely not Pathology.

I did an elective in Radiology seeing if I would enjoy it and I felt bored sitting behind the resident reading the CTs and staring at the same shades of grey in a dark room. Yes it's probably more intellectually stimulating for the resident, and there are many procedures that they do but despite what radiologists claim there a lot less communication between fellow residents and patients than in other specialities.

I can go on and on, but I guess my question is for those out there that could not decide on a speciality and didn't like anything in particular, how did you go about making the decision ??

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
After grueling through 2nd year and being so happy to be done with that hell, I was excited and apprehensive about starting 3rd year. Now that it's more than half way through and having done Internal Medicine, Family Medicine, OB/GYN, Pediatrics and Surgery I've realized I like nothing. Nothing excites me enough that I feel like I can spend the rest of my life doing it.

I've realized the most important thing to me is that I have a good lifestyle and make a good income. Whether that sounds greedy or superficial I don't care because I've also realized a well balanced life is more important than spending your entire life dedicated to medicine. That being said I still want to specialize in something that interests me. Dermatology does not interest me, and definitely not Pathology.

I did an elective in Radiology seeing if I would enjoy it and I felt bored sitting behind the resident reading the CTs and staring at the same shades of grey in a dark room. Yes it's probably more intellectually stimulating for the resident, and there are many procedures that they do but despite what radiologists claim there a lot less communication between fellow residents and patients than in other specialities.

I can go on and on, but I guess my question is for those out there that could not decide on a speciality and didn't like anything in particular, how did you go about making the decision ??
Why did you originally get into medicine?

Any interest in Neuro? Psych? PM&R? What were you thinking about doing when you entered med school?

There are also many aspects to some of those fields, namely IM and Peds, that you usually don't get to experience with just one rotation. Do you want to work in a hospital? Outpatient practice? Any fields of IM interest you? Heme, Endocrine, GI, Pulm, Rheum, etc?

Reactions: 3 users
what about EM?

I thought about EM, yes it's shift work but also I'm not quick on my toes and I know I would be incredibly exhausted and burnt out.

Why did you originally get into medicine?
So, I can lie and say I did it to help people. But really, I studied science in college and not much else, did not want to be looking into people's mouths all day nor think about medication interactions so medicine it was. It is a stable, mostly secure job with a guaranteed 6 figure income. It's also a field that I felt would provide professional gratification that you are making a difference in the world.

Reactions: 2 users
I thought about EM, yes it's shift work but also I'm not quick on my toes and I know I would be incredibly exhausted and burnt out.

So, I can lie and say I did it to help people. But really, I studied science in college and not much else, did not want to be looking into people's mouths all day nor think about medication interactions so medicine it was. It is a stable, mostly secure job with a guaranteed 6 figure income. It's also a field that I felt would provide professional gratification that you are making a difference in the world.
There's a good chance you're running into the problem that many who get into medicine for the wrong reasons experience- no amount of income and security can make you not hate your job at the end of the day if it's not something you're passionate about. Try out some of the fields Ismet mentioned, and if, at the end of the day, you find that no field in medicine suits you, you might want to consider either going all in with something you don't like that can pay you well (if you don't enjoy anything, you might as well do what can make you the most money and give you the best lifestyle), or go all out and leave clinical medicine entirely after an internship (there's a good number of non-clinical positions out there for physicians if you know where to look).

Reactions: 6 users

Have you looked at occupational med? If you really can't decide, I'd go internal med, as it leaves you with some flexibility still (and a relatively short residency). There are also a number of more relaxed subspecialties to escape into.

But i know nothing.

Have you looked at occupational med? If you really can't decide, I'd go internal med, as it leaves you with some flexibility still (and a relatively short residency). There are also a number of more relaxed subspecialties to escape into.

But i know nothing.
If she's bored by radiology and the like, occupational med will be sleep-inducing.

With the ridiculous rate of suicide amongst medical students and physicians, I'm gonna put this one in the "poor taste" category.

Agreed, not my best work in terms of posts

I'm surprised nobody ever suggests rad onc in these situations. Yes it's competitive, but still much less competitive than derm, ophtho, or any of the surgical subspecialties. Just publish a couple of clinical papers and do reasonably well on step 1 and you can match into a lower tier program in your area without difficulty. You get to deal with patients to a moderate degree, but aren't really responsible for their feelings and bullsh*t (that's more heme onc's territory), and if you're willing to sacrifice on location you can make money hand over fist. I definitely plan on doing an elective in it as early as possible next year to see if I might like it.

Reactions: 1 user
If she's bored by radiology and the like, occupational med will be sleep-inducing.

True enough, I guess I figured that if you want a job where you work reasonable hours then its a good option to explore.

It might not be as interesting to me as radiology, but you work with other people a lot (which may lack more in radiology).

It also doesn't seem to require the quick "on your feet" aspects of em that op wanted to avoid.

Members don't see this ad :)

Saved for pre-allo: examples of bad reasons to apply to medical school and why they are bad.

Reactions: 26 users
Saved for pre-allo: examples of bad reasons to apply to medical school and why they are bad.

That's not very nice. Medicine as seen by a premed and how it is actually preformed are two totally separate things

Reactions: 4 users
That's not very nice. Medicine as seen by a premed and how it is actually preformed are two totally separate things

Separate things that are very important to know about before committing...

It isn't nice or mean. It is a statement of utility.

If someone wrote, "I studied science in college and not much else, did not want to be looking into people's mouths all day nor think about medication interactions so medicine it was. It is a stable, mostly secure job with a guaranteed 6 figure income. It's also a field that I felt would provide professional gratification that you are making a difference in the world." before entering medical school, I would give them a ~25% chance of 2 years later writing,

"After grueling through 2nd year and being so happy to be done with that hell, I was excited and apprehensive about starting 3rd year. Now that it's more than half way through and having done Internal Medicine, Family Medicine, OB/GYN, Pediatrics and Surgery I've realized I like nothing. Nothing excites me enough that I feel like I can spend the rest of my life doing it.

I can go on and on, but I guess my question is for those out there that could not decide on a speciality and didn't like anything in particular, how did you go about making the decision ??"

If you enter medicine for ill advised reasons, you run the significant risk of being in the situation the OP is in. It is a very good warning for pre-meds. A real life example.

Reactions: 25 users

As @Goro likes to say, Medicine is a calling not just a job. It looks like you got caught up in the idea that being a physician will provide you with a stable future and didn't think about how you would feel working with sick people day after day. I can't say I feel that bad for you considering your primary motivations were financial. If anything I feel bad for the individual who is passionate about medicine that could have been in your shoes had you decided to pursue something else instead of going to medical school.

Welcome to the club. Most of my students just realize what they DON'T want to do after the 3rd year.

Do you like research? If so, try getting a fellowship and join a lab, then land a PI position. NIH is a great place to post-doc.

How about teaching? Hospital administration?

Welcome to the club. Most of my students just realize what they DON'T want to do after the 3rd year.

Do you like research? If so, try getting a fellowship and join a lab, then land a PI position. NIH is a great place to post-doc.

How about teaching? Hospital administration?

Do we really want more money minded dinguses in administration?

Or teaching for that matter....

Reactions: 5 users
I'm surprised nobody ever suggests rad onc in these situations. Yes it's competitive, but still much less competitive than derm, ophtho, or any of the surgical subspecialties. Just publish a couple of clinical papers and do reasonably well on step 1 and you can match into a lower tier program in your area without difficulty. You get to deal with patients to a moderate degree, but aren't really responsible for their feelings and bullsh*t (that's more heme onc's territory), and if you're willing to sacrifice on location you can make money hand over fist. I definitely plan on doing an elective in it as early as possible next year to see if I might like it.

Less competitive than derm or optho or any of the surgical subspecialties? It's pretty much on par in terms of competitiveness and if you think it's not as competitive, you'll be in for a rude awakening come fourth year when you apply. People who match have the highest number of pubs/abstracts/presentations on average (at something like 8) compared to any other residency. If you've also been to the radonc forum, you also would know that matching into a lower tier program pretty much means that you could possibly be out of a job by the time you're looking for one because the field is starting to saturate. If you also think you aren't responsible for their feelings, then you'll also be in for a rude awakening when you do your elective. You're still dealing with cancer patients, and they're going to vent and express their feelings no matter what kind of doctor you are. And radiation therapy is longitudinal; it doesn't happen in just one sitting, which means you'll be sharing lots of feelings with your patients.

Third year is actually a pretty limited exposure to the vast expanse of medicine, and it can also kind of suck, so that may be altering your perception. Peruse

https://www.aamc.org/cim/specialty/list/us/

For life outside fam med, int med, surgery, ob/gyn, peds, or psych, consider: Nuclear Medicine, Medical Genetics, Sleep Medicine. Not known for filthy lucre, but you might crack 6 figures, if that's why you came. They require an understanding of scientific principles, which may appeal to you. Others that require a fellowship: Toxicology, can get it by way of EM, or Preventive Medicine. Transfusion Medicine, by way of Path, or Anesthesiology. Biochemical Genetics, by way of Medical Genetics. Pain Medicine, By way of Anesthesiology, Neurology, or PM&R. There is also Aerospace Medicine as well as Undersea and Hyperbaric Medicine.

Because its pretty simple to just walk into clinical research, high-five the PI, have him/her throw your name on a couple papers just like that... eesh. And I'm having trouble even finding a PI for next summer.

Reactions: 5 users

check out pm&r

With the ridiculous rate of suicide amongst medical students and physicians, I'm gonna put this one in the "poor taste" category.
He's an MS-1 so not really surprising he may not have thought that joke to be in poor taste. He'll realize it soon enough after a few years, why that is.

There is not one field that you like intellectually to learn without being forced?

Except (and I could be wrong) he said, "I've realized the most important thing to me is that I have a good lifestyle and make a good income," meaning it evolved over several years from MS-1 to MS-3. It didn't start before med school. He went to medical school bc he liked science.

Except (and I could be wrong) he said, "I've realized the most important thing to me is that I have a good lifestyle and make a good income," meaning it evolved over several years from MS-1 to MS-3. It didn't start before med school. He went to medical school bc he liked science.
She pretty much owns up to going into medicine for the wrong reasons.

She pretty much owns up to going into medicine for the wrong reasons.
You also missed this part:

The also is a very key word there, as it implies the primary reason was income and lifestyle, and the secondary reason was helping people.
To go into medicine, taking a six figure mortgage without an actual house, and not taking into account endpoint future salary and lifestyle would be absolutely ridiculous. There are many professions that help people and probably even in better ways than doctors. For you to act as if medicine has a monopoly on that characteristic is completely out of touch on your part.

It's also why other professions and interest groups are kicking our behinds in terms of protecting their interests from govt. encroachment or being helped and pushed up by that govt. encroachment.

Reactions: 1 users
MS-3 is much more a ruling out process, than a ruling in process. I wish med schools would let every med student drop 1 rotation they don't like -- mine would be OB-Gyn, personally. A lot of hidden curriculum plays into this. It's one thing I liked about my basic science years. I may not have agreed all the time with my PhD professors, in terms of what was important, but there was ALWAYS mutual human respect of teacher to student.

To go into medicine, taking a six figure mortgage without an actual house, and not taking into account endpoint future salary and lifestyle would be absolutely ridiculous. There are many professions that help people and probably even in better ways than doctors. For you to act as if medicine has a monopoly on that characteristic is completely out of touch on your part.

It's also why other professions and interest groups are kicking our behinds in terms of protecting their interests from govt. encroachment or being helped and pushed up by that govt. encroachment.
Your first concern should be something, anything other than money. Yeah, it should be a big concern, but if your biggest concern is financial return, you're going to hate your life. You should be able to recognize that dude.

Your first concern should be something, anything other than money. Yeah, it should be a big concern, but if your biggest concern is financial return, you're going to hate your life. You should be able to recognize that dude.
Yeah, I recognize that, dude. My point was that to have it not be a concern is absolutely ridiculous, esp. when the physician profession no longer has a monopoly over seeing and evaluating patients. The level of financial return is fully expected with the years of delayed gratification (not just financial but in many other areas), educational debt with accruing interest, etc. especially for those who are not born into a family of physicians or from the most affluent in society.

Just wanting to help people is also not a good enough reason for going into medicine either - primary or otherwise. There are tons of disillusioned medical students and residents who went into medicine wanting to help people. The OP also said he liked science. But you can choose to read into it what you like.

Yeah, I recognize that, dude. My point was that to have it not be a concern is absolutely ridiculous, esp. when the physician profession no longer has a monopoly over seeing and evaluating patients. The level of financial return is fully expected with the years of delayed gratification (not just financial but in many other areas), educational debt with accruing interest, etc. especially for those who are not born into a family of physicians or from the most affluent in society.

Just wanting to help people is also not a good enough reason for going into medicine either - primary or otherwise. There are tons of disillusioned medical students and residents who went into medicine wanting to help people. The OP also said he liked science. But you can choose to read into it what you like.
I'm not saying you should only want to help people. I'm saying that, when you ask someone to describe what they like about their career and the first things they point out are money and lifestyle, those are their primary concerns. They are fair secondary or tertiary concern, but if they're your primary motivation, you're ****ed.

I can sympathize with you, OP. I too entered med school because it offered a good income, and promised to be intellectually challenging. I didn't enter this field primarily in order to help people or help make the world a better place. However, I have found some fields that potentially interest me (PM&R, EM, psych).

Everyone's beating you up for going into medicine for the "wrong reasons". I don't think anyone can claim to hold the corner on the "right motives". Why is "helping people" the right motivation, and job security and professional interest the "wrong reason"? In almost every other field (engineering, law, business, finances, to name a few), people go into them because they have some interest, it's viewed as a "professional" field, and they expect decent compensation. Not everyone has some "morally pure" motive for pursuing their career of choice, and in every other field, that's not viewed as a weakness or selfish mistake.

I asked around for what other people had found to be the most "down to earth" specialty, filled with the happiest people, and heard family med, PM&R, and psych over and over. I'd ask around to other students and residents, and try to get some "leads" on some other specialties that might pique your interest. Good luck to you in 3rd year.

Reactions: 11 users
I'm not saying you should only want to help people. I'm saying that, when you ask someone to describe what they like about their career and the first things they point out are money and lifestyle, those are their primary concerns. They are fair secondary or tertiary concern, but if they're your primary motivation, you're ****ed.
I hope that remains your primary concern as an applying MS-4, considering right now you're a first semester MS-1.

Are you implying that it is a wise thing to go into medicine when your primary concern is money and lifestyle?
Did I say that? I don't remember doing so. Might want to get off your homemade soapbox considering your only responsibilities at this point are sitting at a desk in a chair, writing, and turning pages and maybe video streaming lectures from home. It's very easy for MS-1s to make character judgments on salary when their only contact with this is in signing promissory notes or having family pay their tuition in full.

@mimelim himself has said that 25% of this class would have been happy not doing the physician route. So either 25% of his class are selfish, greedy people, or it should give one a little pause.

I think your statement gives a clue in terms of the specialties you're looking for -- at least when it comes to lifestyle. Income has too many factors to play into it and reimbursement schemes change, esp. as fee-for-service is being phased out in this country.

Did I say that? I don't remember doing so. Might want to get off your homemade soapbox considering your only responsibilities at this point are sitting at a desk in a chair, writing, and turning pages and maybe video streaming lectures from home. It's very easy for MS-1s to make character judgments on salary when their only contact with this is in signing promissory notes or having family pay their tuition in full.

@mimelim himself has said that 25% of this class would have been happy not doing the physician route. So either 25% of his class are selfish, greedy people, or it should give one a little pause.
I never said they were selfish or greedy. I said that they'll likely be unhappy and that they'll have some level of difficulty sticking with the medical education process, given their major motivations.

I can sympathize with you, OP. I too entered med school because it offered a good income, and promised to be intellectually challenging. I didn't enter this field primarily in order to help people or help make the world a better place. However, I have found some fields that potentially interest me (PM&R, EM, psych).

Everyone's beating you up for going into medicine for the "wrong reasons". I don't think anyone can claim to hold the corner on the "right motives". Why is "helping people" the right motivation, and job security and professional interest the "wrong reason"? In almost every other field (engineering, law, business, finances, to name a few), people go into them because they have some interest, it's viewed as a "professional" field, and they expect decent compensation. Not everyone has some "morally pure" motive for pursuing their career of choice, and in every other field, that's not viewed as a weakness or selfish mistake.

I asked around for what other people had found to be the most "down to earth" specialty, filled with the happiest people, and heard family med, PM&R, and psych over and over. I'd ask around to other students and residents, and try to get some "leads" on some other specialties that might pique your interest. Good luck to you in 3rd year.
It's not that we're bashing or whatever, we're just saying that it's significantly harder to maintain your motivations if they revolve around dollar signs, because the money isn't that great, particularly for what you have to sacrifice to earn it. You need something more, or you're gonna have a bad time.

I never said they were selfish or greedy. I said that they'll likely be unhappy and that they'll have some level of difficulty sticking with the medical education process, given their major motivations.
There is a reason, if you look at satisfaction surveys, those in better lifestyle specialties tend to be much more satisfied than those who aren't (assuming that all people in their fields had the intellectual interest to go for that field). Not discussing income here, solely lifestyle. There's a lot to be said from getting a good night's sleep, getting to eat well, exercise, etc. that makes one's overall health better. It helps you process and store information better as well.

I'll take a slightly different view on this one.

OP: what exactly didn't you like about your rotations? I know that none of them blew your hair back, but what were the things that bothered you about each one to the point that you could never imagine yourself doing it? My read of your post(and not knowing you obviously) suggests that you may be holding your desired specialty to an unattainable high standard. Not everyone finds a field they love, hears angels singing, and sees lights shining down from heaven. Some people just find something interesting and satisfying even if a little boring and dull at times. I would urge you to consider the possibility that every field will have aspects that you don't like, but that some may also have enough going for them to keep you going.

There is also the possibility that your rotational experience didn't give you the best perspective. It may also be a matter of you not investing the time and effort into each rotation. If you were sitting behind the resident watching him read CTs and not actively asking to be part of things and try dictating the initial read yourself, then maybe you didn't really give it a fair shot. It's easy to fade into the background during 3rd year and not really get to experience much of anything; you need to be/appear interested and willing to work hard and ask to participate as you are able.

I may be reading your posts incorrectly and if so I apologize. But do consider your own level of effort and investment as it relates to your perception of each field.

I'll take a slightly different view on this one.

OP: what exactly didn't you like about your rotations? I know that none of them blew your hair back, but what were the things that bothered you about each one to the point that you could never imagine yourself doing it? My read of your post(and not knowing you obviously) suggests that you may be holding your desired specialty to an unattainable high standard. Not everyone finds a field they love, hears angels singing, and sees lights shining down from heaven. Some people just find something interesting and satisfying even if a little boring and dull at times. I would urge you to consider the possibility that every field will have aspects that you don't like, but that some may also have enough going for them to keep you going.

There is also the possibility that your rotational experience didn't give you the best perspective. It may also be a matter of you not investing the time and effort into each rotation. If you were sitting behind the resident watching him read CTs and not actively asking to be part of things and try dictating the initial read yourself, then maybe you didn't really give it a fair shot. It's easy to fade into the background during 3rd year and not really get to experience much of anything; you need to be/appear interested and willing to work hard and ask to participate as you are able.
So true. For many it's like this:
http://shortwhitecoats.com/2012/radiology-dont-choose-something-you-hate.
When I began my clinical rotations, I made a very important and life altering discovery. Clinical medicine sucks. I hated the whole experience. I agonized at having to pick between such awful choices. People kept telling me, “Just do what you love!” I have different advice, “Don’t do what you hate!”

I liked the graphic:
Switch-to-radiology.jpg

Last edited:
Have you considered seeing a therapist? It sounds to me that you need to readjust your outlook on things. As much as we all complain about stuff, we are all in an extremely privileged position even to have the option of getting to choose between such a variety of different careers in medicine. I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that because you are anonymously posting on the internet, that you are trying to blow off some steam while getting some ideas. If you can't find anything in medicine that at least interests you, do you think there is anything out there that could interest you? I'm sorry but I find it really hard to think that you can't find anything interesting. Even if you don't practice and go into research or hospital administration, having an MD opens the doors to so many things.

It is hard to believe after the OP's second post that he had a good feel for clinical medicine prior to applying. My point regarding pre-allo is that 'clinical experience' is NOT about hours or putting stuff on your application. It is so that people avoid THIS situation right here.

It is hard to believe after the OP's second post that he had a good feel for clinical medicine prior to applying. My point regarding pre-allo is that 'clinical experience' is NOT about hours or putting stuff on your application. It is so that people avoid THIS situation right here.
This is what he said: "So, I can lie and say I did it to help people. But really, I studied science in college and not much else, did not want to be looking into people's mouths all day nor think about medication interactions so medicine it was. It is a stable, mostly secure job with a guaranteed 6 figure income. It's also a field that I felt would provide professional gratification that you are making a difference in the world."
Let's face it -- most premeds do NOT have a good feel for what clinical medicine is like and they can't probably bc of HIPAA, etc. in terms of rounding with hospital teams. Shadowing in a community private practice, is quite different than shadowing in a teaching hospital academic medical center. The only part I didn't understand was the medication interaction parts, which doesn't make sense in medicine, but whatever. Also, OP, hasn't stated he hates medicine. He said he can't find a specialty that fits him perfectly.

Reactions: 1 users