3rd year rotations for Urology hopeful

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jfellings

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a 2nd year, starting rotations in June. I am very interested in Urology and was looking some some thoughts on the best way to use my electives to prepare well for 4th year and audition rotations. Here is my rotation sequence, any advice on what to do for my two electives would be most appreciated.

Sequence: Elective (planning on surgery), Vacation, Psych, ELECTIVE (8/27-9/21),IM, IM, IM, OB, PED, ELECTIVE (2/11/12-03/08/12) FP, Surgery, Surgery

Members don't see this ad.

I am currently a 2nd year, starting rotations in June. I am very interested in Urology and was looking some some thoughts on the best way to use my electives to prepare well for 4th year and audition rotations. Here is my rotation sequence, any advice on what to do for my two electives would be most appreciated.

Sequence: Elective (planning on surgery), Vacation, Psych, ELECTIVE (8/27-9/21),IM, IM, IM, OB, PED, ELECTIVE (2/11/12-03/08/12) FP, Surgery, Surgery

To state the obvious...the best choices would probably be urology and more urology. Maybe use one of the months to do research full time.

Definitely agree with cpants, but would suggest that you not do a urology elective in August. Maybe get involved with urology research then and do your urology elective in Feb - March, when you will be starting to actually become competent. That said, given that you are not taking surgery until the end of the year, you will be at a disadvantage in your urology electives. Can you change your schedule to take surgery earlier (Feb - March, when you have an elective would be perfect,) and take your urology elective at the end of the year?

Members don't see this ad :)
Can you change your schedule to take surgery earlier (Feb - March, when you have an elective would be perfect,) and take your urology elective at the end of the year?

No, my sequence is fairly set in stone. I start out 3rd year with a selective that I am planning on using for surgery and also thought about using some of my vacation month and see if I can get some OR time from a surgeon in the area to increase my surgical exposure before my electives. While it does put me a little behind as far as surgical skills go I think having a good research project could be worth it

Definitely agree with cpants, but would suggest that you not do a urology elective in August. Maybe get involved with urology research then and do your urology elective in Feb - March, when you will be starting to actually become competent. That said, given that you are not taking surgery until the end of the year, you will be at a disadvantage in your urology electives. Can you change your schedule to take surgery earlier (Feb - March, when you have an elective would be perfect,) and take your urology elective at the end of the year?

hey, are you going into urology? i just remember reading your posts from the step1/2 forums.

Agree with Sol. Honestly, being competent in the OR isn't too difficult as long as you learn how to scrub in and not contaminate anything. Most of the time you just stand there, retract, or suction anyway. But being exposed to it, either by shadowing or doing something non-uro would probably help you look more comfortable and competent once you're on a uro elective.

I'm really glad you've figured out your interest in 2nd year so you can get a head start on research, joining a club, building relationships, etc. Take advantage of the extra time!