3rd year Rotations help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Travdoc22

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone, I need help deciding between my clinical rotation site for my 3rd year. I'm currently a 2nd year LECOM med student and have narrowed down my choices to the following:

Memorial Hospital (York, PA)
Pinnicale Heath CG (Harrisburg, PA)
Arnot Ogden (Elmira, NY)

Has anyone ever rotated in these hospitals before and can provide some reviews? Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Or any review of other hospital rotations will help too, esp for other 3rd years on here that need assistance is picking rotation sites!

Based on their websites, I'd go with either York or Pinnicale. Pinnicale is much larger than York, 650 beds vs 150 beds, so based on that pinnicale may have more pathology. .Both of these have a decent number of residencies. What are you interested in? If you want to do EM or Ob/gyn maybe york would be a better option because they have residencies in those. If you want to do ortho or general surgery, I'd go to pinnicale. If you want IM or family med, I'd then suggest you research their individual programs.

At any rate, I know someone who rotated at Pinnicale and they liked it.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Any new info on Arnot? There are a lot of students, but its pretty new as far as residencies go (2012-2014). Do any students have feedback on how their rotations have been? Volume of patients? Quality of teaching? Also, anything on Butler Health System (new 13)?

Hi LECOM med student,

Excuse me but it seems like your doing great in med school, congratulations! Could you plz help and tell me what's the minimum hours of healthcare clinical experience might be accepted for a premed? Also what's the lowest kind of accepted applicant you saw? Please help ASAP! Thank you.

Try to live in peace with everyone. And try to keep your lives free from sin. Anyone whose life is not holy will never see the Lord. (‭Hebrews‬ ‭12‬:‭14‬ ERV)

Hi LECOM med student,

Excuse me but it seems like your doing great in med school, congratulations! Could you plz help and tell me what's the minimum hours of healthcare clinical experience might be accepted for a premed? Also what's the lowest kind of accepted applicant you saw? Please help ASAP! Thank you.

Try to live in peace with everyone. And try to keep your lives free from sin. Anyone whose life is not holy will never see the Lord. (‭Hebrews‬ ‭12‬:‭14‬ ERV)
Really... really... reallly random place to be putting this.... If you have pre-med questions, post them in pre-allo or pre-osteo.

Reactions: 3 users
I also have a question about my choice for 3rd/4th year rotations. I have my choice between two sites based on geographic location which my spouse will allow...

First: 350 bed hospital in a smaller town, but has ENT, IM, and EM residencies (Joplin, MO)

Second: 700 bed hospital in mid-sized city with only a FM residency. (Springfield, MO)

I still have no clue what specialty I want to go into, so its not for certain that the Joplin hospital has a residency I would want to get into. Should I opt for the larger hospital, or the smaller hospital with a few residencies? We apparently have ample amounts of electives both 3rd and 4th years to go elsewhere if we want.

I also have a question about my choice for 3rd/4th year rotations. I have my choice between two sites based on geographic location which my spouse will allow...

First: 350 bed hospital in a smaller town, but has ENT, IM, and EM residencies (Joplin, MO)

Second: 700 bed hospital in mid-sized city with only a FM residency. (Springfield, MO)

I still have no clue what specialty I want to go into, so its not for certain that the Joplin hospital has a residency I would want to get into. Should I opt for the larger hospital, or the smaller hospital with a few residencies? We apparently have ample amounts of electives both 3rd and 4th years to go elsewhere if we want.
See if you can talk to students currently there and get their perception. I would try to go where I get to do the most clinically, and balance that with the desirability of location and availability of "things to do" socially.

Reactions: 1 user
See if you can talk to students currently there and get their perception. I would try to go where I get to do the most clinically, and balance that with the desirability of location and availability of "things to do" socially.

We are restricted to reading site reviews written mainly by 3rd years who have only had a few rotations. Contacting students directly is really prohibited because it "wouldnt be fair" for them to have to respond to tons of emails.

Basically both sites only have 1 review each and they don't really explain all that much. The larger hospital is in the more desirable location with family close by. So the Springfield site seems like our best option, but I'm trying to see if anyone has a good reason why to choose the smaller hospital with the residencies.

We are restricted to reading site reviews written mainly by 3rd years who have only had a few rotations. Contacting students directly is really prohibited because it "wouldnt be fair" for them to have to respond to tons of emails.

Basically both sites only have 1 review each and they don't really explain all that much. The larger hospital is in the more desirable location with family close by. So the Springfield site seems like our best option, but I'm trying to see if anyone has a good reason why to choose the smaller hospital with the residencies.

That 700 bed hospital only has FM? Hospitals that size around here usually have like 5-10 different programs.

That honestly sounds like a tough call, but I think if I were in your same situation, I'd go with the bigger center. I'd worry about how much you'd actually get to see/do in a place that is low-medium sized and has multiple programs (i.e. multiple interns and residents in line ahead of you).

How many 3rd year electives do you get? If you get like 3-4, you could probably just do an IM, EM, and ENT in Joplin, if you thought you might be interested in any of those.

Apparently we get 2 blocks of electives 3rd year and then 5 blocks 4th year

Apparently we get 2 blocks of electives 3rd year and then 5 blocks 4th year

Yeah that's basically what we get. Its messed up that you guys aren't allowed to talk to 3rd yrs. Any chance you could get a hold of 4th yrs or alumni?

You'll probably have good experiences at either location, but like I said, I'd probably choose the bigger city.

Bigger isn't always better. If the big hospital isn't a tertiary care center (which it sounds like it isn't) then you won't see any more pathology than you would at the small hospital. Having residents is a big plus because that's where you'll get most of your teaching and you get to see what residency is like. As a third year you are NOT "in line" with them like someone said. That's completely absurd. Any patient you follow is followed by the intern and resident because they're doing the actual work (which you can't do as a third year for many reasons). What you benefit from is the discussion among residents and the teaching on formal rounds. In your case having residents for IM is definitely more beneficial than for FM. In EM it's a toss up and ent is not a core rotation so that doesn't matter. It's your call. Needless to say your school is being really shady about it by preventing you from contacting students.

Bigger isn't always better. If the big hospital isn't a tertiary care center (which it sounds like it isn't) then you won't see any more pathology than you would at the small hospital. Having residents is a big plus because that's where you'll get most of your teaching and you get to see what residency is like. As a third year you are NOT "in line" with them like someone said. That's completely absurd. Any patient you follow is followed by the intern and resident because they're doing the actual work (which you can't do as a third year for many reasons). What you benefit from is the discussion among residents and the teaching on formal rounds. In your case having residents for IM is definitely more beneficial than for FM. In EM it's a toss up and ent is not a core rotation so that doesn't matter. It's your call. Needless to say your school is being really shady about it by preventing you from contacting students.

Fair enough. I have no idea what kind of hospital that 700 bed one and what kind that 350 bed one is. I also don't know how many residents are actually there vs. how many students there are rotating at any given time.

Some people prefer hands on experience, whereas others don't. I'm simply reiterating the statements I've heard from other 3rd and 4th yrs (that actually do talk to us) about rotations at different locations, but that will vary based on what the atmosphere is like. Not all residents teach (or teach well).

Its obvious neither of these hospitals are big academic centers and given that the EM, IM and ENT programs are AOA programs, we really have no idea how many residents are actually there. We have no idea about the quality of the teaching at either one.

Generally speaking bigger hospitals have bigger bed sizes because they serve more, and most likely see more path. As you said, that may not be the case, but we don't really know much about either place, because we haven't rotated there (and don't even know which hospitals they are). Its all speculation at this point.

The 700 bed hospitals (Cox Health, Mercy - both are 700 bed) in Springfield, MO actually has its own bone & joint center, oncology center, etc etc so I think that makes it a tertiary center? Not 100% sure what tertiary center means though.