3rd year rotations in NYC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sailorgal

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an osteopathic student relocating to NYC, and i've contacted a lot of hospitals in the city who will only take 4th years. Does anyone know any doctors or hospitals that will accept 3rd year students for rotations?

Members don't see this ad.

I have not heard of any hospitals taking non-affiliated 3rd years. They save those spots for their own students.

Why doesn't your school have 3rd year rotations?

NYU, but you need to be done with most-to-all of your cores. im going to be (hopefully) going there in the last month of my third year (june). We know they take 3rd years already, but how many cores they require varies by dept.

not sure about any of the other schools/hospitals.

Members don't see this ad :)
NYU, but you need to be done with most-to-all of your cores. im going to be (hopefully) going there in the last month of my third year (june). We know they take 3rd years already, but how many cores they require varies by dept.

not sure about any of the other schools/hospitals.

What hospitals in NYC take fourth year med students?

And does anyone know of sites in NY that can be considered rural/underserved?

What hospitals in NYC take fourth year med students?

And does anyone know of sites in NY that can be considered rural/underserved?

1) all of them. NYU, Sinai, Columbia, Cornell, Einstein, Downstate, NYMC, NYCOM all have presence in the 5 boroughs proper. Stretch a little outside of the 5 boroughs and you add Stony Brook and Touro.

2) Bronx: Morrisania, Highbridge, Hunts Point, Ferry Point, Mott Haven, Union Port, Burnside, Pelham, Bedford Park, Hudson, Bathgate, Williamsbridge, Edenwald

Brooklyn: Crown Heights, Bed-Stuy, Some areas of Borough Park

New York County: Clinton (odd. I live there. Its a nice part of midtown), East Harlem, Central Harlem, Inwood/Washington Heights

Queens: South Jamaica, North Central Corona, Northwest Queens,

Staten Island: None

This isn't all inclusive, but you can look these places up and a large majority of the places aren't "communities" that are medically underserved, but rather really tiny areas. So hospitals wouldn't serve them, individual offices would have to. I listed the communties and skipped all of the "brooklyn between 3rd ave and 5th ave and 71st street and 78th street." Which is not really medically underserved "area" then, it just happens to be an area that is mathematically too far away from any hospital so it falls into the search net.

http://muafind.hrsa.gov/

1) all of them. NYU, Sinai, Columbia, Cornell, Einstein, Downstate, NYMC, NYCOM all have presence in the 5 boroughs proper. Stretch a little outside of the 5 boroughs and you add Stony Brook and Touro.

2) Bronx: Morrisania, Highbridge, Hunts Point, Ferry Point, Mott Haven, Union Port, Burnside, Pelham, Bedford Park, Hudson, Bathgate, Williamsbridge, Edenwald

Brooklyn: Crown Heights, Bed-Stuy, Some areas of Borough Park

New York County: Clinton (odd. I live there. Its a nice part of midtown), East Harlem, Central Harlem, Inwood/Washington Heights

Queens: South Jamaica, North Central Corona, Northwest Queens,

Staten Island: None

This isn't all inclusive, but you can look these places up and a large majority of the places aren't "communities" that are medically underserved, but rather really tiny areas. So hospitals wouldn't serve them, individual offices would have to. I listed the communties and skipped all of the "brooklyn between 3rd ave and 5th ave and 71st street and 78th street." Which is not really medically underserved "area" then, it just happens to be an area that is mathematically too far away from any hospital so it falls into the search net.

http://muafind.hrsa.gov/

Thanks, I'm trying to find a R/US area back in NY because I'd like to spend at least one month of my medical training at home rather than in a different state

Thanks, I'm trying to find a R/US area back in NY because I'd like to spend at least one month of my medical training at home rather than in a different state

Peninsula Hospital Center, Far Rockaway (Queens)

Any other sites you know of? I've had friends rotate there and didn't like the experience

Could also do St. John's Episcopal, Jamaica Hospital, or Queens Hospital Center.

Then again, I just named the other 3 hospitals in Jamaica/Far Rockaway.... so... yea. Same patient population (maybe a little younger and more frequently black at the latter two) but different hospital administrations. Perhaps that will yield better experiences.

I am in the area right now & just started my 4th year. I can say a lot depends on where you go to school, NYCOM, SGU, a NYC medical School? If you go to one of these school than you will have an easier chance getting into a lot of hospital since they are directly affiliated with them.

If not, you will have to make a lot of phone calls to a lot of hospitals like i have, because majority will not take you for two reasons, 1) insurance 2) preference to their own students. It also depends on what rotation you want and if your an MD or DO. I know for sure that some hospitals do not offer certain rotations to away students simply because of lack of spots. I also know programs who do not offer rotations if you are a DO.

Your best bet is to talk to the person who can help you direct on the phone. Honestly over the past two months I have easily made well over a 100 phone calls trying to set up rotations in the NY area. Some I get lucky on the first call, some I have had to call back over and over.