4.0 URM, what MCAT score for scholarship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah and a non-urm with a 4.0 can also get away with a 25+ MCAT and get accepted somewhere... and no you don't wish u were a URM.

I always hate when people say they wish they were a URM just because they think URMS have some sort of advantage over others. Fact of the matter is that many URMS come from highly disadvantaged backgrounds, a lot of racism in certain parts still exists, and many URMS overall struggle a lot more then the average american. So NO YOU DON'T really want to be in that position. I know several URMs and trust me I would not want to be trading places with them and struggling to make ends meet.

Members don't see this ad.

i'm gonna have to say no to that one. you are never a "shoe in". and even being URM with an above 30 MCAT will not guarantee you admissions let alone a full ride. man, ppl on SDN have no idea of what they are talking about. you may get interviews and you may not(as i found). you may be looking at a lot of waitlists still and a few acceptances(if lucky). just apply super early is all i can say. and ppl may not want to say it but at schools like ahem vandy as you mentioned the state school status will be a hindrance even with a 31 MCAT.

These are premeds we are talking to didn't ya know? that means that many of them assume automatic self entitlement.

Members don't see this ad :)
I always hate when people say they wish they were a URM just because they think URMS have some sort of advantage over others. Fact of the matter is that many URMS come from highly disadvantaged backgrounds, a lot of racism in certain parts still exists, and many URMS overall struggle a lot more then the average american. So NO YOU DON'T really want to be in that position. I know several URMs and trust me I would not want to be trading places with them and struggling to make ends meet.

There are plenty of URMs who have had a great life. URM status doesn't discriminate social/economic background. Apparently, the OP's simply milking his Mexican background, but appears to have been well off.

Not our fault they're not ambitious enough to pursue med school ... :smuggrin:

There are plenty of URMs who have had a great life. URM status doesn't discriminate social/economic background. Apparently, the OP's simply milking his Mexican background, but appears to have been well off.

first off, you do not even merit a response based on your last sentence. and second off, the cost of med school alone is a deterrent for many and lack of education about the application process and resources (consequences of going to less than stellar colleges, etc) would leave a person w/o any idea of the options for financing a medical school education. so i would say in most of the cases, ambition is not the issue. second off, how do u know that he/she is well off? because he/she can write coherently (sometimes) on a forum or perhaps because he/she said he/she has a 4.0?

first off, you do not even merit a response based on your last sentence. and second off, the cost of med school alone is a deterrent for many and lack of education about the application process and resources (consequences of going to less than stellar colleges, etc) would leave a person w/o any idea of the options for financing a medical school education. so i would say in most of the cases, ambition is not the issue. second off, how do u know that he/she is well off? because he/she can write coherently (sometimes) on a forum or perhaps because he/she said he/she has a 4.0?

I purposely made that 2nd sentence.

He appears to be a spoiled, self-righteous URM who believes he should get in to wherever because he's a Mexican with a 4.0. Whatever.

URMs can finance med school the way everyone else does. Loans.

Horribly obnoxious ending to this post, but whatever, I get it, it's a joke.

I find it interesting that on SDN, there is an immediate visceral response to anyone who expresses a willingness to exploit their innate advantages in the medical education process. I'm loathe to explain all this away as pure jealousy, but it often comes across this way.

To the OP: The admissions process is capricious and often makes little sense. Any advantage you have, you should take. Despite the misgivings of other SDN posters, they would do the same in your shoes, as would I.

Horribly obnoxious ending to this post, but whatever, I get it, it's a joke.

I find it interesting that on SDN, there is an immediate visceral response to anyone who expresses a willingness to exploit their innate advantages in the medical education process. I'm loathe to explain all this away as pure jealousy, but it often comes across this way.

To the OP: The admissions process is capricious and often makes little sense. Any advantage you have, you should take. Despite the misgivings of other SDN posters, they would do the same in your shoes, as would I.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Stand down and relax from your self-righteous high-ground. My intention was to poke fun at resume padding/empathy (faux) signaling of most med students. If it didn't come off that way, ignore it.

Then maybe you should learn how to use the faces on the side so that you can much more clearly convey your stance....ummmmmmmmmm b/c honestly I thought you were being an a$$hole as well...and this is coming from a fellow URM.

And by the way...why the hell would you depend on these pre-meds to tell you what MCAT score you need to earn to receive a full merit scholarship? I am just curious to know what your true purpose is for posting.

:idea: I have an idea, but I am choosing to refrain from expressing it on this board

Well, this really depends on the advantage. If you're a rich kid whose parents were both doctors and you went to private schools all your life, then obviously you've worked very hard to get to where you are and you've earned your spot in med school.

But if you're a URM and you're getting special consideration under affirmative action from a school that acknowledges that maybe, just maybe, racism and discrimination didn't just disappear from one generation to then next, then you're getting an unfair advantage.

On the other hand, if you're a URM rich kid whose parents were both doctors and you went to private schools all your life and you're getting special consideration under affirmative action then, well, you're probably the OP.

Well, this really depends on the advantage. If you're a rich kid whose parents were both doctors and you went to private schools all your life, then obviously you've worked very hard to get to where you are and you've earned your spot in med school.

But if you're a URM and you're getting special consideration under affirmative action from a school that acknowledges that maybe, just maybe, racism and discrimination didn't just disappear from one generation to then next, then you're getting an unfair advantage.

On the other hand, if you're a URM rich kid whose parents were both doctors and you went to private schools all your life and you're getting special consideration under affirmative action then, well, you're probably the OP.

Who's to say that the URM didn't work equally as hard if not harder to get good scores and activities, etc.???

The only URMS I know of who got into top tier programs worked their ass off to get their 3.8-4.0 GPAs, 33-36+ MCAT scores, research with pubs, and volunteer/leadership experiences amongst other things they did. They earned their spots at the respective institutions they got into.

I have several URM friends and I have yet to see people magically handing them acceptances if they don't have scores near the average. I have yet to see a person get in with a 2.5 just because they are URM. Just stop it with the assumptions that all URMs have an unfair advantage. Its only really at schools trying to preach primary care or HBCs or other lower tier schools where they may have some advantage.

Who's to say that the URM didn't work equally as hard if not harder to get good scores and activities, etc.???

The only URMS I know of who got into top tier programs worked their ass off to get their 3.8-4.0 GPAs, 33-36+ MCAT scores, research with pubs, and volunteer/leadership experiences amongst other things they did. They earned their spots at the respective institutions they got into.

I have several URM friends and I have yet to see people magically handing them acceptances if they don't have scores near the average. I have yet to see a person get in with a 2.5 just because they are URM. Just stop it with the assumptions that all URMs have an unfair advantage. Its only really at schools trying to preach primary care or HBCs or other lower tier schools where they may have some advantage.

Right. There is an advantage and you know this. It could be why you haven't received an acceptance yet: you're Indian. However, you also are female, so that's a different story.

URMs often do get in with average stats overall, but these avg. stats are also below the avg. of those students who have matriculated into the schools (i.e. 3.6+, 30+).

Yes, there aren't many blacks or hispanic doctors, but with the admissions requirements lowered for them, there certainly will be more. However, will this also decrease the quality of care? If not, then shouldn't stats be done with period? Apparently not, because then everyone would go. (That is their reasoning).

BTW, nobody is saying URMs can get in with a 2.75 and 12 MCAT. However, if a URM had a 3.5 and a 24-26 MCAT, then most likely they will get in pending a good interview, whereas, a non-URM most likely would not.

Members don't see this ad :)
Summa, you're a n00b, or whatever you said we could call you. You also spell like a highschooler. But you'll be fine getting in wherever you want. Merit based full scholarships are hard to come by, but Vanderbilt and U Chicago are known for that...

Right. There is an advantage and you know this. It could be why you haven't received an acceptance yet: you're Indian. However, you also are female, so that's a different story.

URMs often do get in with average stats overall, but these avg. stats are also below the avg. of those students who have matriculated into the schools (i.e. 3.6+, 30+).

Yes, there aren't many blacks or hispanic doctors, but with the admissions requirements lowered for them, there certainly will be more. However, will this also decrease the quality of care? If not, then shouldn't stats be done with period? Apparently not, because then everyone would go. (That is their reasoning).

BTW, nobody is saying URMs can get in with a 2.75 and 12 MCAT. However, if a URM had a 3.5 and a 24-26 MCAT, then most likely they will get in pending a good interview, whereas, a non-URM most likely would not.

Let me be the first to inform you that I know several people who were NON URMS wo got in with those kind of stats. One was a caucasian male who is now an M2. One of his Indian male classmates is also an M2 with similar stats. 2 Caucasian females who have had those kind of stats got in because they were nurses prior to going into medicine so the schools that accepted them forgave them for their slightly average MCAT score. I also know of a couple other cases like that too. So no unless we are talking HBCs, and unless we are talking schools with focus on primary care in under served areas then you are wrong. At least in my home state you are wrong. The minorities who had slightly lower stats got in at a school which had averages near their own to begin with and focused on serving the underserved minority areas and solely on primary care. Cough FSU cough.

I disagree with you strongly but go on believing that minority status with a 3.5 and 26 MCAT will automatically get them in if that's what makes you feel better at the end of the day. And go on telling yourself that someone who got a 26 MCAT was less qualified then the 37+ people because you know what?? I know one of those caucasian people who got in with a 26 MCAT score also tends to be in the top 10 percent of his class in medical school. I can also say the other people I know who had average scores are doing very well in medical school. So don't assume they will be less competent because they got a bit anxious or had a bit of a hard time with verbal on the MCAT.

Summa, you're a n00b, or whatever you said we could call you. You also spell like a highschooler. But you'll be fine getting in wherever you want. Merit based full scholarships are hard to come by, but Vanderbilt and U Chicago are known for that...

I do agree that the OP shouldn't count on getting one though he/she should try to work hard to get one.

Case/CCLCM
UMich
Vandy
Pritzker
UNC
FSU (rarely)
Miami
WashU

Those are a few that come to mind. I'm sure others can come up with more.

Let me be the first to inform you that I know several people who were NON URMS wo got in with those kind of stats. One was a caucasian male who is now an M2. One of his Indian male classmates is also an M2 with similar stats. 2 Caucasian females who have had those kind of stats got in because they were nurses prior to going into medicine so the schools that accepted them forgave them for their slightly average MCAT score. I also know of a couple other cases like that too. So no unless we are talking HBCs, and unless we are talking schools with focus on primary care in under served areas then you are wrong. At least in my home state you are wrong. The minorities who had slightly lower stats got in at a school which had averages near their own to begin with and focused on serving the underserved minority areas and solely on primary care. Cough FSU cough.

I disagree with you strongly but go on believing that minority status with a 3.5 and 26 MCAT will automatically get them in if that's what makes you feel better at the end of the day. And go on telling yourself that someone who got a 26 MCAT was less qualified then the 37+ people because you know what?? I know one of those caucasian people who got in with a 26 MCAT score also tends to be in the top 10 percent of his class in medical school. I can also say the other people I know who had average scores are doing very well in medical school. So don't assume they will be less competent because they got a bit anxious or had a bit of a hard time with verbal on the MCAT.

Never said MCAT was an indicator of med student/physician abilities.

Did these non-URMs give a generous donation? Legacy? Or maybe they got into FSU, who's average is relatively lower and is a new school. Non-URMs do not get in with those stats 99% of the time. I don't care if your 1 caucasian male friend got in. It's an anomaly and not standard. Wow, 2 female nurses caught a break for low MCAT? I don't think it had to do with them having been nurses. I will when I see a male non-URM nurse catch that same break. URMs get in with those stats at a greater frequency. You also have to take into account the school each applied to. Of course Ivys or JHU won't take a URM with a 3.5 and a 24-26 MCAT.

Sorry, not even close. Thanks for playing.

Never said MCAT was a predictor of med student/physician abilities.

Did these non-URMs give a generous donation? Legacy? Or maybe they got into FSU, who's average is relatively lower and is a new school. Non-URMs do not get in with those stats 99% of the time. I don't care if your 1 caucasian male friend got in. It's an anomaly and not standard. URMs get in with those stats at a greater frequency. You also have to take into account the school each applied to. Of course Ivys or JHU won't take a URM with a 3.5 and a 24-26 MCAT.

One of them got into UMiami, 1 caucasian and 2 indos got into USF, and 2 got into FSU. There are other cases I'm sure but those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

And yes its an anomaly but that doesn't mean that URMs getting in anywhere with those scores is a standard either. Yes obviously if they applied to a very low tier state school they may have some chance or at a HBC, but who's to say they are shoe in?? You make it sound like they just need to aim low and they automatically get in. Its not that simple. Most of my URM friends who have lower scores are still struggling and applying to Postbacs. The ones who got in with lower scores only did so at HBCs and schools like FSU that shove down your throat the whole PC concept and look for people who want to practice in underserved areas.

And it wasn't one person. It was quite a few Caucasian and Indian people.

One of them got into UMiami, 1 caucasian and 2 indos got into USF, and 2 got into FSU. There are other cases I'm sure but those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

And yes its an anomaly but that doesn't mean that URMs getting in anywhere with those scores is a standard either. Yes obviously if they applied to a very low tier state school they may have some chance or at a HBC, but who's to say they are shoe in?? You make it sound like they just need to aim low and they automatically get in. Its not that simple. Most of my URM friends who have lower scores are still struggling and applying to Postbacs. The ones who got in with lower scores only did so at HBCs and schools like FSU that shove down your throat the whole PC concept and look for people who want to practice in underserved areas.

And it wasn't one person. It was quite a few Caucasian and Indian people.

Almost every southern school preaches PC and just about every med school preaches serving the underserved.

For some reason, I honestly don't believe you about quite a few caucasian and indian people getting in with a 3.5/24-26 MCAT at UCSF and Miami. Either they're trying to make you feel better, or you're just trying to overtly defend the AA system. Whatever.

Almost every southern school preaches PC and just about every med school preaches serving the underserved.

For some reason, I honestly don't believe you about quite a few caucasian and indian people getting in with a 3.5/24-26 MCAT at UCSF and Miami. Either they're trying to make you feel better, or you're just trying to overtly defend the AA system. Whatever.

...or maybe you're just trying to overtly ignore facts and convince yourself that there aren't any non-urms that get in with those kind of stats to make yourself feel better...It happens more than you would think (or believe).

What's wrong with defending the AA system?

Anyways, I know a LOT of people that have gotten into UCSF and UCLA with average stats. Especially UCSF because they already have their name made. They already have the prestige and are more willing to accept students with average scores because they aren't comprimising their reputation. Whereas UCI or UCSD are trying to push their names to the same level as UCSF and UCLA, and overemphasize stats as a result.

Dammit, I'm a med student and I'm pissier than all of you.

Lol...I just found this thread and it is hilarious. People think that premeds are cynical....wait until you guys start med school. They told our class that medicine is the only profession where you lose apathy....I believe it.

To be sure there is an illusion that there are perfect objective standards for the choosing of candidates for medical school. Plenty of average working white boys make it into med school. I plan on being one. No one here will be worried about any of this when we are going into the trenches to take care of patients. We'll be too tired to care about these petty differences. Then it will be like most things. What kind of person are you to share a bunker with.
Suck doesn't have a color or sex. Neither does being a badass when it counts. And none of this talk counts for ****.