4.5 Months of MCAT study, Too long?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lisztomania287

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I hope all of you are having a great day! I am a third year undergraduate who finished most of the pre-med pre-reqs and I was wondering if 4.5 months are too much time to study for MCAT.

To give you some details about my situation, I signed up for early September test and I can start studying for MCAT as soon as April begins. I will be in school from April-June and I am planning to take 3 consecutive weeks off from MCAT studying in June for finals week and a summer program, leaving me 2 months of studying while in school and 2.5 months of summer completely dedicated to MCAT studying. My school's summer break lasts until mid-September.

During this quarter, I will be only taking two classes (Biochem and a humanities upper div) and a lab that gives me course credit (15 hours/week; just started working). I just quit my previous job that takes ~15 hours/week, so the lab shouldn't be a problem in regards to time management. My other extracurricular activities should take about 12 hours/week.

I plan to study 14-18 hours per week during school year and 40-50 hours per week during the summer, focusing on content review while in school and practice during the summer (all self studying).

Does my plan sound fine? I know some people say that studying for too long may make you forget contents (?). If MCAT requires less attention, I was thinking of (1) taking Physics this quarter (last of the series) and just beginning in studying for MCAT during the summer or (2) working part-time in my lab over the summer while studying starting April.

I've been doing adequately in my pre-req courses (GPA consistently around 3.7), so I don't know if my plan is giving MCAT too much attention/time. Should I be giving more attention to improving my GPA or getting more involved in other extracurricular activities instead? My previous job workload prevented me from joining more student orgs that I've been interested in, but now that I'm only taking two classes, I am a bit tempted. My extracurricular activities have also been a bit lacking in community service besides hospital volunteering, so I was thinking about participating in such activities as well.

P.s. Unrelated, but I was wondering if using EK 9th edition and TBR 2011 for passages with TPRH and EK 101 is fine for content review! I haven't really been able to find out if 2011 TBR is good enough for the new MCAT (besides for Biochem and Psych/Social), so I wanted some confirmation.

Members don't see this ad.

Study until you're scoring consistently in your target range on your practice exams. You are the only who knows when that point will occur. I don't think 4.5 months is too long personally, though you don't want to burn yourself out during the summer. I didn't have a block of time to dedicate for MCAT-only studying (non-trad), so I studied ~ 2 hrs/day for 5 days/wk for 9 months (except when I was taking exam condition full lengths towards the end).

Your verbal study materials should be fine.

Reactions: 1 user
I plan to study 14-18 hours per week during school year and 40-50 hours per week during the summer, focusing on content review while in school and practice during the summer (all self studying).
Remember to have some fun during your summer. I think studying for the MCAT has diminishing returns so just keep that in mind and be efficient with your time.

I studied for more than 6 months and did great. Studying over a longer time makes you remember things better, not worse.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your biggest concern would be burnout and only you can sort of forsee that. If you do the same thing for that much time you might get really sick of it.

I studied for 5 months ~5 hours a day. Studied during the morning/afternoon and took my breaks in the evening.

In my opinion, it's better than cramming that much material in 3 months studying 8+ hours a day.