- Home
- Forums
- Dental Communities (DDS and DMD)
- Dental Residents and Practicing Dentists
- Military Dentistry
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Army 4 year Army HPSP applicants.
Started by OSU12345
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I had everything ready in September. My recruiter said my packet was eligible for the October boards and he notified me recently that I received the 4 year scholarship, contingent on being accepted to dental school. I'm really excited, but I've never heard of the Army reviewing the 4 year packets before December. Has anyone had a similar experience?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I had everything ready in September. My recruiter said my packet was eligible for the October boards and he notified me recently that I received the 4 year scholarship, contingent on being accepted to dental school. I'm really excited, but I've never heard of the Army reviewing the 4 year packets before December. Has anyone had a similar experience?
You applied for the 4 year HPSP and you already heard back? I was ready for the October board (I have over 3.5 and 19 AA) too but then my recruiter told me that mine will be reviewed on Dec 10th b/c of the gov't shutdown. He also told me that they pushed all the board dates back for all professions except medical to december and that december 10th is the first board meeting....did he lie to me????
You applied for the 4 year HPSP and you already heard back? I was ready for the October board (I have over 3.5 and 19 AA) too but then my recruiter told me that mine will be reviewed on Dec 10th b/c of the gov't shutdown. He also told me that they pushed all the board dates back for all professions except medical to december and that december 10th is the first board meeting....did he lie to me????
Yes, I applied for the 4 year. My recruiter made sure that my packet (including LORS) was ready at the end of September so he could send it out. I emailed him a few times during October to check on things, particularly during the shutdown. He told me that the boards were only delayed by one week, and when I emailed him in early November, he informed me that I received the scholarship. I even called to confirm it and he informed me that it was the 4 year scholarship.
I honestly couldn't tell you if you were lied to. Did you have everything completed by the end of September (including MEPS)? Did your recruiter send in your packet in early October (before the shutdown)? Maybe someone else can shed some light on the board dates...
Yes, I applied for the 4 year. My recruiter made sure that my packet (including LORS) was ready at the end of September so he could send it out. I emailed him a few times during October to check on things, particularly during the shutdown. He told me that the boards were only delayed by one week, and when I emailed him in early November, he informed me that I received the scholarship. I even called to confirm it and he informed me that it was the 4 year scholarship.
I honestly couldn't tell you if you were lied to. Did you have everything completed by the end of September (including MEPS)? Did your recruiter send in your packet in early October (before the shutdown)? Maybe someone else can shed some light on the board dates...
Yes, I had everything completed. However, mine was completed early October so maybe that's why. I read another thread here and someone said that they reviewed half the applicants that completed their apps in october and the rest will be reviewed in december.
Thanks for the reply.
does anyone know if you are required to have a bachelor's degree in order for your application to be submitted? my recruiter said she can't submit my app before I get my degree... I finished all the paperwork and MEPS as well.
I already got accepted to 3 schools.
I already got accepted to 3 schools.
does anyone know if you are required to have a bachelor's degree in order for your application to be submitted? my recruiter said she can't submit my app before I get my degree... I finished all the paperwork and MEPS as well.
I already got accepted to 3 schools.
Which Service?
ArmyWhich Service?
does anyone know if you are required to have a bachelor's degree in order for your application to be submitted? my recruiter said she can't submit my app before I get my degree... I finished all the paperwork and MEPS as well.
I already got accepted to 3 schools.
I know for a fact this is false. Recruiter is probably just misinformed.
does anyone know if you are required to have a bachelor's degree in order for your application to be submitted? my recruiter said she can't submit my app before I get my degree... I finished all the paperwork and MEPS as well.
I already got accepted to 3 schools.
My recruiter just put a memorandum after getting a signed letter from someone at my uni saying that i completed all the requirements. You don't necessary have to have your degree "on hand" but I believe you have to graduate by spring before the year of matriculation.
My packet is going to the Dec board. Anyone know how long we have to accept the scholarship if we are selected? Is it like dental schools where you are given a month to accept or is it different?
Do any of you guys have hard information on # of Army HPSP scholarships that will be awarded for entering class of 2014? And any dates/timeslines that your recruiters told you as far as being safe to get the scholarship? (for Navy apparently you are pretty safe getting in as long as you make the February board but I know Army usually has more scholarships) I only applied Navy but the recruiter makes me a bit nervous as the first submission was kicked back so want to prepare to also apply to Army if the next one goes bad too. I already have MEPS done, LORs, essays and everything so I'd probably just need to fill out similar forms. Thanks.
I have all my paperwork in and about to do MEPS, but after that I should be done (for Army). My recruiter seems to be pretty optimistic even if I am submitted to Feb. boards. Not sure how many scholarships are left, but my fingers are crossed regardless. I was surprised by that second post that you could receive the scholarship without an acceptance. I thought that wasn't possible...
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Do any of you guys have hard information on # of Army HPSP scholarships that will be awarded for entering class of 2014? And any dates/timeslines that your recruiters told you as far as being safe to get the scholarship? (for Navy apparently you are pretty safe getting in as long as you make the February board but I know Army usually has more scholarships) I only applied Navy but the recruiter makes me a bit nervous as the first submission was kicked back so want to prepare to also apply to Army if the next one goes bad too. I already have MEPS done, LORs, essays and everything so I'd probably just need to fill out similar forms. Thanks.
Generally speaking, they don't fill all of the four year slots for Army until Jun-Jul tiemframe (That's why there is an Order of Merit List those with the higher DAT and GPA are higher on the list). Given the stats you provided in the PM I wouldn't worry as long as you get a packet together in early spring.
Hey, I also applied for the 4 year Army HPSP, was supposed to go to January boards. Someone mentioned the boards are on 1/28. Does anyone know how long it takes to hear whether you're accepted for the scholarship? I'm only asking because I have a school deadline for scholarship application on 2/15.
Thanks!
Thanks!
Hey does anyone know how long it takes to hear back from boards. I read someone mentioned 2 - 3 weeks. I also hear 1 week. My application went to boards yesterday (1/28) my recruiter was excited as my application said "Pending" meaning they are waiting to publish the results. Does anyone have ideas who have received the scholarship?
anyone knows how many scholarships are left for the march board?
Hey does anyone know how long it takes to hear back from boards. I read someone mentioned 2 - 3 weeks. I also hear 1 week. My application went to boards yesterday (1/28) my recruiter was excited as my application said "Pending" meaning they are waiting to publish the results. Does anyone have ideas who have received the scholarship?
Found out today...i'm on OML. Did you get it?
anyone knows how many scholarships are left for the march board?
My recruiter told me that from now on, everyone will be on the alternate list.
OML= Order of Merit listI don't know yet. I haven't heard from my recruiter. OML?
My recruiter told me that from now on, everyone will be on the alternate list.
Is this for real??wth.. What's the point of having board meetings anymore then lol...
Just found out I am also on the OML. Seems like all 3 applicants from my recruiter's station were placed there. Huge disappointment, but it might be for the best in the long run. Stats: 3.74 overall GPA with 3.92 for science GPA. DAT: AA of 22 with tons of EC and good LORs. I am just thankful I got into a good state school instead of a private one.
Same here though I have always taken what my recruiter said with a grain of salt. Few officers in the Army have told me that recruiters usually lie so I needed to do my homework. I had a feeling it was going to be competitive this year (DoD downsizing, rumors about private dentists not working, less future deployments, and rising cost of tuition), but I delayed getting the physical because of an injury I was rehabbing. I don't know if getting in earlier would have helped my chances, but good luck to those who got it.
Just found out I am also on the OML. Seems like all 3 applicants from my recruiter's station were placed there. Huge disappointment, but it might be for the best in the long run. Stats: 3.74 overall GPA with 3.92 for science GPA. DAT: AA of 22 with tons of EC and good LORs. I am just thankful I got into a good state school instead of a private one.
Wow, my stats are definitely lower than yours in both regards so now I'm really worried. 😢
If we were all in the same board 1/28, how are we finding out at different times? Are we processed in smaller groups or something? I asked my recruiter yesterday if he had heard anything and he said nothing yet.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Wow, my stats are definitely lower than yours in both regards so now I'm really worried. 😢
If we were all in the same board 1/28, how are we finding out at different times? Are we processed in smaller groups or something? I asked my recruiter yesterday if he had heard anything and he said nothing yet.
Who knows. It's the Army, randomness happens. That being said, no bad news still means you have a shot. You just never know.
My recruiter told me last year they did not even fill the amount of people they had for the scholarships so it didn't seem like it was going to be as competitive this year. My recruiter told me the usually people who get the scholarship had over a 3.2 GPA with a 19 DAT. I have filled out everything for my application but do my physically next week!
One question. Is everybody pretty much in the same board now? Were there no January boards at all? My recruiter told me I would make the March board for the army! Im excited but my stats are average as well. 20 DAT 20 sDAT GPA: 3.5 and did JROTC and a lot of community service and other summer programs.
One question. Is everybody pretty much in the same board now? Were there no January boards at all? My recruiter told me I would make the March board for the army! Im excited but my stats are average as well. 20 DAT 20 sDAT GPA: 3.5 and did JROTC and a lot of community service and other summer programs.
I guess everyone on the wait list is rolled back to the March Boards and compete with the new applicants for the few spots that are still kept open. Apparently, we are ranked on the OML and may be offered a three year scholarship. My recruiter told me that December Boards was the first board for the Army so I was kind of surprised by people posting they received the HPSP before they even had the letter of acceptance. He specifically told me I couldn't submit my application without it. The "unofficial" memo for the results of the January Board was told to him by his commanding officer, and the official memo won't be out until the end of this week. It's my speculation, but I think prior experience/ exposure to life in the armed forces would have a greater weight than stats because everyone has acceptable stats since you got in to dental school. If you haven't heard back, call your recruiter. He didn't know the results were posted until I made him find out.
I had my packet complete in time for the December boards. I did not have a LOA. My recruiter said that with my stats, the board would be willing to review my packet without it, but they would compare my stats with a list of schools I applied to and hypothesize about whether or not I would receive an acceptance. I was told shortly after the board date that I was selected for the scholarship. I had a 3.42 / 20AA, but strong EC's and LORs with a lot of leadership positions in undergrad (SGA, Club Soccer captain x 2 years, Honors Council, various clubs). I am honored to have been offered the scholarship especially since many of you with superior stats were OML'd. I wish you all the best of luck.
Just got the call from my recruiter after sending him a message earlier today and got the scholarship! Official paperwork comes in next week, that's why there's been a delay for anyone waiting.
Just got the call from my recruiter after sending him a message earlier today and got the scholarship! Official paperwork comes in next week, that's why there's been a delay for anyone waiting.
Congrats! glad things worked out man!
So who's boarding on Wednesday?!
you know i am... lol.
Got the result today.. ORDER OF MERIT LIST...
FML.
FML.
Got the result today.. ORDER OF MERIT LIST...
FML.
=( it's unfortunate. Luckily for you, the rank you are on the OML is purely based on your stat rather than when you submitted your application.
=( it's unfortunate. Luckily for you, the rank you are on the OML is purely based on your stat rather than when you submitted your application.
Yeah, I am not really counting on it.... any idea how many people are on the list?
Yeah, I am not really counting on it.... any idea how many people are on the list?
No idea. From what my recruiter told me the list is pretty expansive (this was after Jan. board). He also told me he can't tell me my rank on the list...for some reason or another...
No idea. From what my recruiter told me the list is pretty expansive (this was after Jan. board). He also told me he can't tell me my rank on the list...for some reason or another...
i heard there are a total of 17 people on the OML..
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i heard there are a total of 17 people on the OML..
Oh what?? Is this the most recent?
Got a call from my recruiter today and he said he received an email saying that I am in the top 5 of the OML and I could be pulled off from the list at any time....
Got a call from my recruiter today and he said he received an email saying that I am in the top 5 of the OML and I could be pulled off from the list at any time....
So if you have to choose between HSCP and Army, what's your preference?
So if you have to choose between HSCP and Army, what's your preference?
I am not sure yet...