4 Years Military Service after Undergrad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bc3699

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all! Currently, I am a Sophomore at a somewhat small Private school. I have been interested in serving in the military as an officer since I was about 11 years old. This is the only thing I am as passionate about as becoming a Physician. No, I am not looking for a "break" in between undergrad and medical school. I have a few questions about serving active duty in between undergrad and medical school:
1. My biggest concern is the MCAT. I know for most schools, the MCAT is only valid for about 3 years. With that being said, I would sign a contract for 4 years active duty. If I would take the MCAT in the Spring of my Senior year prior to graduation, could I use this score when I apply for Medical School? For example, I would apply with one year left in my contract (I am aware that I may be held over into longer service). If I take the MCAT in spring of 2023, I could use this until Spring of 2026 and Matriculate Fall of 2027... Would this be possible or realistic?
2. If situation 1 wouldnt be possible, I would have to take it while on active duty. How hard do you think this would be?
3. Do you know of anyone that has done something similar/what is the likelihood of serving 4 years active duty in between undergrad and medical school?

I would be seeking a commision with the hopes of branching infantry. I have wanted to serve on the front lines for over a decade now. I have no interest in persuing HPSP or other routes. If I go into the military, I want it to be active duty infantry.

TIA for the advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Your three years for Spring wouldn't work, but taking it late summer or fall might. The application cycle doesn't open until June. I would however check with some schools to verify itmismthe application submittal date for the mcat clock, and not the secondary application submittal date. Being Active Duty might not make it possible to complete all your secondary apps by Sep 1. If you can take Mcate in October 2023, then your bases should be covered, but again, double-check.

There is a military Physician sub forum here. They might help.
Also I think if you want to be on the front line enlisting is more realistic. I heard officers do more managing than doing. Take my word with a grain of salt lol

Members don't see this ad :)
There is a military Physician sub forum here. They might help.
Also I think if you want to be on the front line enlisting is more realistic. I heard officers do more managing than doing. Take my word with a grain of salt lol
This is bad advice. Lower ranking officers (especially infantry and other combat services) are on the front lines with their troops. Most of the enlisted soldiers I met who had bachelor degrees wished they had gone the officer route. They had romantic dreams of being on the front line till they realized being enlisted just meant more BS, less money, and less control over pretty much everything. I would caution the OP that going the officer route does have the downside that you don't have complete decision over what service you end up in (depending on how you are recruited), but IMO, the risk is outweighed by the myriad benefits of being an officer.

OP, I did a similar route to what you are proposing although not intentionally like you are planning. The largest benefit (beyond that most ADCOMs love military applicants) would be being able to use VA benefits to pay for all or most of medical school. The downside is, of course, delaying your medical school start by 4 years and disadvantaging yourself as a nontrad in studying for the MCAT and collecting academic LORs.

Definitely go officer route vs enlisted (trust me - I was enlisted . Hahaha ).
as far as Mcat - you’d have to wait .
If you are even remotely considering possibility to go to Med school out of college, and do military scholarship, and THEN serve - it’s a great option . But if you serve as an officer first and then go to school - GI bill will pay for a state school plus you’ll get monthly housing (which is enough to live on). So either way is a great option . The main question is whether you want to be a doctor in the military or general officer .

Reactions: 1 user
Hey all! Currently, I am a Sophomore at a somewhat small Private school. I have been interested in serving in the military as an officer since I was about 11 years old. This is the only thing I am as passionate about as becoming a Physician. No, I am not looking for a "break" in between undergrad and medical school. I have a few questions about serving active duty in between undergrad and medical school:
1. My biggest concern is the MCAT. I know for most schools, the MCAT is only valid for about 3 years. With that being said, I would sign a contract for 4 years active duty. If I would take the MCAT in the Spring of my Senior year prior to graduation, could I use this score when I apply for Medical School? For example, I would apply with one year left in my contract (I am aware that I may be held over into longer service). If I take the MCAT in spring of 2023, I could use this until Spring of 2026 and Matriculate Fall of 2027... Would this be possible or realistic?
2. If situation 1 wouldnt be possible, I would have to take it while on active duty. How hard do you think this would be?
3. Do you know of anyone that has done something similar/what is the likelihood of serving 4 years active duty in between undergrad and medical school?

I would be seeking a commision with the hopes of branching infantry. I have wanted to serve on the front lines for over a decade now. I have no interest in persuing HPSP or other routes. If I go into the military, I want it to be active duty infantry.

TIA for the advice!
There are jobs in the military through HPSP where you can be very close to the front lines as a physician. Right now, only tier 1 and 2 special operators are really on the front lines seeing action, so becoming an infantry officer will probably not meet your expectations (enjoy guarding the gate at Bagram). Combat deployments are becoming less and less frequent so if your goal is just to be on the front lines, you should not go this route.

Yes, if you’re going to join before med school, do not enlist. Trust me. I speak from experience.

There are jobs in the military through HPSP where you can be very close to the front lines as a physician. Right now, only tier 1 and 2 special operators are really on the front lines seeing action, so becoming an infantry officer will probably not meet your expectations (enjoy guarding the gate at Bagram). Combat deployments are becoming less and less frequent so if your goal is just to be on the front lines, you should not go this route.

The vast majority of physicians aren’t on the front lines.

Reactions: 1 users

TIA for the advice!
Does your "somewhat small Private school" offer ROTC? A college degree alone does not guarantee you'll get into Officer Training School, as my sister found out to her dismay after enlisting.

Yes, if you’re going to join before med school, do not enlist. Trust me. I speak from experience.

The vast majority of physicians aren’t on the front lines.
I understand the vast majority aren't, that's why I said what I said.

I understand the vast majority aren't, that's why I said what I said.

You said

There are jobs in the military through HPSP where you can be very close to the front lines as a physician.

While that’s true, I just wanted to clarify that those jobs are uncommon since you didn’t say that.

You said

While that’s true, I just wanted to clarify that those jobs are uncommon since you didn’t say that.
Fair enough. I have a more unorthodox military career so I was exposed to a lot of physicians that worked in SOF, SOST, CAA, and what not. From my understanding, those positions aren't terribly competitive (besides the physical fitness/grit aspect) since most doctors don't want those jobs.

Reactions: 1 users
Fair enough. I have a more unorthodox military career so I was exposed to a lot of physicians that worked in SOF, SOST, CAA, and what not. From my understanding, those positions aren't terribly competitive (besides the physical fitness/grit aspect) since most doctors don't want those jobs.

Yeah I mean in the navy they are fairly competitive just in the physical sense, but they need more dive docs than regular GMOs. But that’s still a small minority of docs.

Currently AD officer, going to med school in the fall. I took the MCAT while on AD and would love to chat with you about the pros/cons of applying to med school while AD. I sent you a message.

I was enlisted before dental school. I took my DATs while on active duty. Studying was slow and steady but I got in. Then I had VA benefits help me pay for school.

Definitely go the officer/OCS route. You will make more money and your quality of life will be better.

Another prior enlisted here, infantry Marine.

Definitely go Officer if you can swing it.

Also, understand that if you end up in the infantry you will face much greater challenges than applying to med school 4 years after undergrad.

Keep in touch with some of your letter writers, hang out with your Battalion Surgeon and maybe "shadow" him, save up your terminal leave and take the MCAT as you come off of that. Also worth saving up some cash so that you can have some time off when you get out.

As it stands, there is so much chaos as to when you commission and when you start active service (need a seat at OCS and then orders to an MOS school, and that pipeline can get backed up) that I would not worry about trying to take the MCAT before hand. Just plan for a gap year, take the MCAT as you get out - have the rest of your app ready to go when AMCAS opens up, and focus on the military in the near term.

It will definitely help with apps and maybe you will like it and decide to apply directly to USUHS or something.

Edit: also don't worry about being "old" when you get out I'm applying now at 29, perfectly reasonable.

Another prior enlisted here, infantry Marine.

Definitely go Officer if you can swing it.

Also, understand that if you end up in the infantry you will face much greater challenges than applying to med school 4 years after undergrad.

Keep in touch with some of your letter writers, hang out with your Battalion Surgeon and maybe "shadow" him, save up your terminal leave and take the MCAT as you come off of that. Also worth saving up some cash so that you can have some time off when you get out.

As it stands, there is so much chaos as to when you commission and when you start active service (need a seat at OCS and then orders to an MOS school, and that pipeline can get backed up) that I would not worry about trying to take the MCAT before hand. Just plan for a gap year, take the MCAT as you get out - have the rest of your app ready to go when AMCAS opens up, and focus on the military in the near term.

It will definitely help with apps and maybe you will like it and decide to apply directly to USUHS or something.

Edit: also don't worry about being "old" when you get out I'm applying now at 29, perfectly reasonable.
33 here. Knee cartilage is gone but otherwise I feel like I'm 22.

How's your cycle going? Mine's pretty lackluster. I guess my stats aren't great because my whole vet narrative isn't as shiny as I thought it would be.
It's wierd.

I was late on getting the app out and I didn't feel like shotgunning my app. So I only have like 4 II out of 11 secondaries, some hard Rs from schools I did not expect (instate school right up the road from me and oos school next door to my parents) and I don't think the CASPR worked to my favor.

At the same time I got IIs to some top schools...

So, no idea what is going on haha. No As as of yet but my first interview school hasn't given any As yet and my second was just a week ago (USUHS) and those seemed to go really well.

You?