40 hrs/week + mcat studying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jammin06

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I am taking the August MCAT and I just found out that I got a job that I applied for earlier in the year. The job is pretty solid: working in an OR for 40 hrs/week and getting paid. Biggest problem with all of this is that my schedule for the summer now looks like this: work from 6-2:30, Mcat class 3-5:30, study 5:30-??, sleep, start over again.

Is this a healthy schedule for me? How often do people work full time when they are studying for the mcat? I am very self-motivated, but i know I have my own limits. Can anyone who has gone through this situation before give me any advice/words of wisdom?? Thanks all.

Members don't see this ad.

I worked 50 hours a week, cared for my two children and carried 10 credits with labs. It *can* be done, but it ain't fun.

Well if you work 40hrs/week that leaves 128hrs/week to study - unless of course you want to sleep and eat too...but that may be asking for too much.

Members don't see this ad :)
jammin06 said:
Hey guys,
I am taking the August MCAT and I just found out that I got a job that I applied for earlier in the year. The job is pretty solid: working in an OR for 40 hrs/week and getting paid. Biggest problem with all of this is that my schedule for the summer now looks like this: work from 6-2:30, Mcat class 3-5:30, study 5:30-??, sleep, start over again.

Is this a healthy schedule for me? How often do people work full time when they are studying for the mcat? I am very self-motivated, but i know I have my own limits. Can anyone who has gone through this situation before give me any advice/words of wisdom?? Thanks all.

Did roughly the same thing, including the OR job
during the weekM-TH
woke up at 5:30
got to lab by 6:30-7:30 worked on thesis
I went to school 8-4
mcat prep 7-10

weekend F-SUN
worked 6-3, "took call" 3-11
took call is in quotes because thats technically what they call it when they want you to work 40+ hours in three days...usually they let me go early on sundays.

so, i guess what im saying is that it can be done. One trick is to keep your books with you at all times. You never know when you'll have a free couple minutes to study. Also, when the mcat is over take a week off- I just did it and I can't keep the smile off my face

Dear Jammin06,

If you put your mind to it, you can DEFINITELY do it. I worked full-time while studying for the MCATs, serving ministry, and another part-time job for some extra cash as well.

The bottom line is... you gotta study at LEAST 3 hours every day (more on weekends), at least 4-5 months prior to the exam.

Keep in mind that Kaplan says that students who achieve 30+ scores study 400-500 hours for this exam.

If you study 3 hours a weekday, 12 on weekends, you'll be in good shape in you start 4-5 months prior!

Best of luck to you! :thumbup:

It's very achievable. Get up an hour earlier each day. Make this your hour of power. You can pick up the other 2-3 hours during/after work. If you want it bad enough, you'll find a way. You'll have to sacrifice for the next few months, but it will be worth it.
You'll feel much better being prepared than finding you're running out of time and too many questions to go during the MCAT and being pissed at yourself for not studying more. DON'T PLAN TO RETAKE IT!- just be prepared and give it your best shot.

:)

Definitely doable!

I envy you....my company "expects" us to put in 50hrs/wk. So far, I have gotten away with about 40-45 hrs/wk but I might be moved to a busier group later and putting in 60hrs.....so be lucky that you are "only" doing 40.

It's definitely doable. But something has to give.....for me, it was my social life. I worked and then I came home and studied, then I went to work. On weekends, I studied, but I always made sure to have at least one night free to go out. I will be studying for the August MCAT as well, and I will go back for it. It sucks, but definitely doable.

Well, you can study from 5:30 to 9:30, rack out until 05:30 which nets you 8 hours of sleep per night. Definitely doable.

I was taking an accelerated OChem class (OChem 1 and 2 in the same physical semester - 3 hours of lecture twice a week with a 4 hour lab twice a week), 20 hours at one job, 25 hours at another and then cleaned my wife's office on the weekends, while having a family life. I pulled A's in both Orgo 1 and 2.

Right now I'm working at JCPenney's on the weekends, working as a school crossing guard during the week, taking the Kaplan prep and still cleaning the office and having a family life. You can do it.

I know a radiology resident who told me that medicine isn't about who's the smartest, it's about who can endure the most.....

Took 19 credits of science and a math class (ODE) while studying for the MCAts and working 15 hrs a week. But I also prayed to my God. Let's tarry awhile for the ides of June or so.

that's what i'm going to be doing, so i hope it's doable. i'm also wanting to work out regularly, so i'm not sure what my schedule is going to look like. needless to say, i don't think this will be best summer ever.