40 year old active duty Air Force 14 years thinking of applying to USUHS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HopefulPA2MD

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have 14 years active duty in the Air Force, and I will be 40 years old when I apply to USUHS. I just wanted to know if anyone knows if this is to old to apply for USUHS. I know that age waivers are given on a case by case basis, but has anyone know of a 40 year old or older student that has been accepted into USUHS?

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
I have 14 years active duty in the Air Force, and I will be 40 years old when I apply to USUHS. I just wanted to know if anyone knows if this is to old to apply for USUHS. I know that age waivers are given on a case by case basis, but has anyone know of a 40 year old or older student that has been accepted into USUHS?

More than one in my class.

Thank you for that information. That makes me feel a lot better. Do you know if it is like that for most incoming classes or was that just a coincidence for your class?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for that information. That makes me feel a lot better. Do you know if it is like that for most incoming classes or was that just a coincidence for your class?

Not sure. I know the previous couple classes have a couple who are at least late 30s. Being prior service really helps.

I'll give you a somewhat alternative perspective.

Make sure you understand what you're getting yourself into. Becoming a doctor requires you to sacrifice a decade. Some chose their 20s, some their 30s, fewer in their 40s and beyond. But it is really a solid decade. 4 years of medical school + 3-6 years of training, +/- GMO time. For me it was a solid 10 years. I'm in my early 40s now, and I'm damn tired. But I can drink whiskey on weeknights, so I'll be ok.

You definitely get tired as you get older. And when I say 'tired', I don't just mean your energy level, but you also grow tired of humanity and utter crap that people throw at you. The young still love people and think they can do good, bless them! [no I'm not drinking right now. . . well maybe a little.]

In 6 years you could retire from the AF and be quite happy. Or you could be an intern taking orders from someone half your age.

I'm just sayin, consider your choices carefully. Good luck either way.

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
I appreciate that other perspective, and I considered that a few years back. The thing now is that I don’t plan on getting out until after 30 or 30+ years. So, I figure I might as well do it and not have any school debt when I get out. Even if I got out at 20 I would still pursue it. So, I might as well get the education for free. That is, if they accept me.

Reactions: 1 users
It is do-able, but you will stand out from your classmates for your age and, in good ways, your experience. Don't discount the fatigue factor mentioned above, it is substantial. If medicine is your wish, USUHS offers you advantages: no debt, a better paycheck, a job on the back end, and preference for what will be an increasingly scarce number of military residency slots. Even if you decide milmed isn't for you, you have a pretty decent chance of pulling the eject handle after your ADSO and get a full military retirement benefit and still have time for a second career, if that is what you want. If I were to imagine a scenario for a active duty applicant maximizing benefit and opportunity via USUHS, it would be yours.

Reactions: 3 users
I don’t feel like I stand out from my classmates because of my age, at least not in a bad way. I get invited to the same ****, and if anything a lot of the younger people look to me for experience (a few of them affectionately call me dad lol). As far as I know most of the older students have it the same.

I do have less tolerance for bull****, but I also find that I complain about stuff less. Some of the younger students seem to still think that things should always go their way, whereas most of us older students just expect it not to most of the time lol.

Reactions: 1 users
My experience has been that most medical school classes have at least one true non-traditional student (e.g. someone a decade or two older than the class average with a real career prior to enrolling). Medical training has its challenges no matter what age you enter.

I appreciate that other perspective, and I considered that a few years back. The thing now is that I don’t plan on getting out until after 30 or 30+ years. So, I figure I might as well do it and not have any school debt when I get out. Even if I got out at 20 I would still pursue it. So, I might as well get the education for free. That is, if they accept me.

You're a PA? Why not continue down that road? Quite honestly, your job marked is looking way better than mine.

I’m 10 years older than my classmates and a prior. Had all of the same concerns you have and so far, no regrets.

With all of the issues and uncertainty facing military medicine, it was still the right choice when I weighed my finances, the time I had in, and what was important to me.

Agree with Matthew above though- it is an adjustment being around 21-22 year olds that complain about everything and have little tolerance for differing opinions. It will wear on you coming from our community.

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
Yes, I am a PA. I thought about continuing on this path, but after weighing the pros and cons I still want to be an anesthesiologist.

I really appreciate all the response. These comments are really helpful.

• Care
Yes, I am a PA. I thought about continuing on this path, but after weighing the pros and cons I still want to be an anesthesiologist.

Just make sure you are more than willing to be a primary care doctor when you graduate at 45 and then 48 after residency? Especially if you're already doing primary care as a PA.

We had a couple "seasoned" people in my class. A prior blue angel, experienced SWO, navigator, etc. They ended up being the ones I respected the most, turned to for military, life, marriage, financial advice and honestly the guys/gals I think about most often.

If MD is what you want and continued commitment to the military is what you want, USUHS will be a solid education and provide you with a ton of mentoring and/or leadership time with your other classmates. They will be happy to have you leading them along the journey.

Agree that you must keep an open mind about specialty. Anesthesia should be around but grades, life, DHA can all throw a wrench in even the best laid out plans. Be OK with the worst case scenario...otherwise go civilian.

There was a bridge DO program somewhere which saved you a few classes.