41 years old former MD student. Wants to reapply

Started by Cyclhex38
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Cyclhex38

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey all. I'm a 41 female new to SDN and a clothes designer who was in medical school more then 12 years ago but had to drop out due to personal issues and there is only one semester's record of me at the school. I don't really remember much of the mcat now so obvioulsy that is something I would need to take again; thinking of taking a 1 year refresher course and then taking the mcat sicne I already have all the pre requisites from mid 90's. What I really would like is some sort of program that might be suitable for people in my shoes.
I posted this elsewhere and was told this apparently a better place so here is a update: I talked to the school few days back. Advisor said its been 13 years so reapply with all things again like mcat. Does any one know of a accelerated 1 yr/ 18 mos programs for premed students which then grant admission to MD medical colleges they are affilated with? What other options do I have if I want to be a MD? My situation seems diffrent than most premeds on here but I'm sure their are people reading this who have been in same boat. Your opinions are especially appreciated.
 
What you're looking for is something called a "linkage" program. I Googled "premedical post-baccalaureate linkage program" and this is what I came up with:

http://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C...premedical+post+baccalaureate+linkage+program

As you scroll through, you'll be able to peek at some of the institutions offering this kind of perk. The one bump in the road for these programs is that they are VERY competitive, and some of them may also require that you have not taken the pre-requisites yet.

HOWEVER, because it's been over a decade since you have taken them, you may want to make a list of what seem to be your favorite programs and ask if they would count you as having a background in the basic sciences despite it being so long ago. Maybe some of them will overlook it.

Also--in direct reference to the competitive aspect of these programs--it begs the question of whether or not your GPA makes the cut. A sought after program like John's Hopkins would require high marks and a decent amount of medical exposure. Personally, I was denied acceptance there with a 3.4, research, volunteering, student organization leadership, and being a collegiate athlete.

I'd say, sit down and write a list of EXACTLY what you want from your program. Then, scroll through and note the contact information of each school that meets these guidelines. Then, you call each admissions office and tell them your situation. Let THEM determine if you're a good match.

🙂 Good luck!
 
Blondie:

I hope you didn't write out the schools name with an apostrophe. 😱

The gentlemen's first name is Johns. His last name is Hopkins. (And no, I'm not the spell-check police. And Johns Hopkins is frequently misspelled -- without the 's'. But on a premed forum????)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Blondie:

I hope you didn't write out the schools name with an apostrophe. 😱

The gentlemen's first name is Johns. His last name is Hopkins. (And no, I'm not the spell-check police. And Johns Hopkins is frequently misspelled -- without the 's'. But on a premed forum????)

Well to be accurate, his first name WAS Johns and last name WAS Hopkins. Johns Hopkins was created from a posthumous donation.

Thank you. That is all. 🙂
 
What you're looking for is something called a "linkage" program. I Googled "premedical post-baccalaureate linkage program" and this is what I came up with:

http://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C...premedical+post+baccalaureate+linkage+program

As you scroll through, you'll be able to peek at some of the institutions offering this kind of perk. The one bump in the road for these programs is that they are VERY competitive, and some of them may also require that you have not taken the pre-requisites yet.

HOWEVER, because it's been over a decade since you have taken them, you may want to make a list of what seem to be your favorite programs and ask if they would count you as having a background in the basic sciences despite it being so long ago. Maybe some of them will overlook it.

Also--in direct reference to the competitive aspect of these programs--it begs the question of whether or not your GPA makes the cut. A sought after program like John's Hopkins would require high marks and a decent amount of medical exposure. Personally, I was denied acceptance there with a 3.4, research, volunteering, student organization leadership, and being a collegiate athlete.

I'd say, sit down and write a list of EXACTLY what you want from your program. Then, scroll through and note the contact information of each school that meets these guidelines. Then, you call each admissions office and tell them your situation. Let THEM determine if you're a good match.

🙂 Good luck!

thx. I had a look through those. Is there any other option similar to these linakge programs?
 
What you're looking for is something called a "linkage" program. I Googled "premedical post-baccalaureate linkage program" and this is what I came up with:

http://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C...premedical+post+baccalaureate+linkage+program

As you scroll through, you'll be able to peek at some of the institutions offering this kind of perk. The one bump in the road for these programs is that they are VERY competitive, and some of them may also require that you have not taken the pre-requisites yet.

HOWEVER, because it's been over a decade since you have taken them, you may want to make a list of what seem to be your favorite programs and ask if they would count you as having a background in the basic sciences despite it being so long ago. Maybe some of them will overlook it.

Also--in direct reference to the competitive aspect of these programs--it begs the question of whether or not your GPA makes the cut. A sought after program like John's Hopkins would require high marks and a decent amount of medical exposure. Personally, I was denied acceptance there with a 3.4, research, volunteering, student organization leadership, and being a collegiate athlete.

I'd say, sit down and write a list of EXACTLY what you want from your program. Then, scroll through and note the contact information of each school that meets these guidelines. Then, you call each admissions office and tell them your situation. Let THEM determine if you're a good match.

🙂 Good luck!

O.O

I'm normally SUCH a stickler for this kind of thing. How I let that slide on here I will never know. But, dammit if I won't spend the duration of my life trying to figure it out. I dare say that's almost as bad as the "your," "you're" mix-up...the one I hate so much.

Yes, I'm aware of the name. Guess I had apostrophe trigger finger.

As far as additional linkages are concerned....hmmm...I didn't really seek out programs ESPECIALLY for linkage, thus I am not a wealth of knowledge in the area. But, let me see if I can find anything...

http://services.aamc.org/postbac/

This should be your first stop. Might help you narrow something down geographically. Most times in the descriptions for the schools it will say if it is a linkage program or not.
 
The general consensus here is that if a person has been in medical school and even no record of it it's impossible to get backin?
 
The general consensus here is that if a person has been in medical school and even no record of it it's impossible to get backin?
Take it or leave it, but my advice to you is to take the feedback you've received more seriously. Your case is rare. Nobody told you it would be impossible. It's a detriment to your current pursuit of med school that you matriculated and dropped out...not a dealbreaker...but you have to take the initiative to figure this out.

NJBMD described the steps you have to take with your old school. It sounds like you've already followed those steps. It sounds like they told you what you need to do: retake the MCAT and do other stuff. Your interest in a program specific to your needs seems orthogonal to that advice. You've already matriculated into med school - why would there be a program specific to people who have already gotten in? I suggest you look at some current numbers of how hard it is to get in these days. http://www.aamc.org/data/facts/

I sent you to the postbac forum hoping you'd read posts here. There are a couple of threads that have more than a quarter million views apiece, where people talk about their struggles to get into med school with odds stacked against. Are you going to find specific advice for what to do with your specific scenario, no. Are you going to get a sense of how hard comebacks are, how much humility is required, how long it takes, yes.

Best of luck to you.
 
It also depends why you left - you said for personal reasons. Any school considering taking you back would look into that to see that it didnt happen again.

Just as an example (and maybe a poor one as im thinking on my feet) - if you dropped out due to a period of depression, and have been depression free since then, that might say one thing. But if you have battled depression continuously since then, that says another thing. Not that it means you wont get considered but how do they know it wont cause you to drop out again? Hope that makes sense.

Finally - your age is something to be considered. You are can't make this cycle, so provided you take the MCAT and rock it (without doing any class work for a yr as you suggested) you could apply next summer for matriculation the following yr at 43. Or 44 if you took a year of classes. Dont want to say your age will stop you but the number of applicants and matriculants at 44 is pretty small.

You'd have to then consider you'd be 48 by the time med school finishes and could you physically and emotionally handle doing residency into your 50s...

Things to consider...
 
Dont want to say your age will stop you but the number of applicants and matriculants at 44 is pretty small.
I'll be 45. As was njbmd.

Excellent point though. Being financially unencumbered, in good health and descended from folks who worked into their 80's were my bases for proceeding. I see myself as 44-going-on-27. My friends who are 45-going-on-65 get exhausted just hearing about what I'm doing.
 
Damn midlife - you are ancient! lol

Like I said, it is something to consider and to keep in mind.
 
Damn midlife - you are ancient! lol

Like I said, it is something to consider and to keep in mind.

i totally agree age is a factor. I have looked thru those post bacc programs. No mention of loans though. These are out of pocket programs?
 
i totally agree age is a factor. I have looked thru those post bacc programs. No mention of loans though. These are out of pocket programs?
Depends on the program.

If you do more undergrad, you can get about $12,500 a year in federal loans. This only counts if you're officially admitted, and either degree-seeking or at a school that will designate you as "5th year postbac" et al.

If you do an SMP, and you're in a masters-granting program, then you get federal support for cost-of-attendance. That's about a $50k loan. Only about $8k of this is subsidized, so that you're not accruing interest during school - the rest grows.

You should expect that any undergrad school offering structure for postbac premeds, particularly a private school, is going to have put some effort into financial aid strategy for their students. Consider UT Dallas, which has a really nicely organized but flexible program, and others like Berkeley Extension or Harvard Extension.

There are very few cases where private loans are a good idea - don't be lured. One case that makes sense would be Tulane ACP: it has a 90%+ success rate, it only costs $12,500, and there's no other financial aid. (I don't think you're eligible for this program, but it's an example of one that justifies a private loan.)

Best of luck to you.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Unfortunately your age (totally aside from having matriculated and withdrawn from med school) will likely be a detriment to you. It is virtually impossible to get into medical school at an advanced age - there is a lot of debate about this going on these days. Supposedly "no one" wants to go into primary care, and there are a lot of middle-aged people who would love to, but med schools want younger students. Also, your prereqs from the 1990s are likely to be too old for admission and you'll have to retake them.

It's not impossible, but you have a lot of legwork ahead of you.
 
Unfortunately your age (totally aside from having matriculated and withdrawn from med school) will likely be a detriment to you.
Or you could consider that candidates unqualified on academic merit are looking for something to blame...such as age. Or you could consider that regular 40+year olds aren't taking this on in large numbers compared to younger folks. Or you could ask some med students how old the oldest person in their class is, and find out that there are 40+ year old students at almost every US med school. So how did they get in?
It is virtually impossible to get into medical school at an advanced age - there is a lot of debate about this going on these days.
How about regardless of age, 55% get rejected every year, and with low stats it's really hard to get in. If you're suggesting that there's an anti-age bias, I counter with this: an older student with sub-competitive stats has just as hard a time as a younger student with sub-competitive stats. An older student who can't get solid LORs, can't interview well, won't volunteer etc. has the same trouble getting in as a younger student. Younger students collect tall piles of rejection letters as fast as older students. Getting in is hard. It's not any more unfair to be rejected for being older by any one school as it is unfair to be rejected for being shy/immature/inexperienced.
Supposedly "no one" wants to go into primary care, and there are a lot of middle-aged people who would love to, but med schools want younger students.
Those middle-aged people have to meet the same acceptance standard as younger people. In addition, those middle-aged people have to be part of the tiny, tiny, tiny percentage who are willing to give up a good living to go serve the greater good. Having the willingness to go be a rural family practice doc doesn't equate with "will pass board exams".
Also, your prereqs from the 1990s are likely to be too old for admission and you'll have to retake them..
Facts are so nice. Such as: in general, prereqs don't expire. Known exceptions: UMass, Miami. You typically can't do well on the MCAT if your prereqs are really old, so the good advice you get at a later age is to see the material again. If you have taken no recent bio, you won't do well on the MCAT. To address concerns about recent academic capabilities, take some upper div sci and do really well on the MCAT.

Have a nice day.
 
Or you could consider that candidates unqualified on academic merit are looking for something to blame...such as age. Or you could consider that regular 40+year olds aren't taking this on in large numbers compared to younger folks. Or you could ask some med students how old the oldest person in their class is, and find out that there are 40+ year old students at almost every US med school. So how did they get in?

How about regardless of age, 55% get rejected every year, and with low stats it's really hard to get in. If you're suggesting that there's an anti-age bias, I counter with this: an older student with sub-competitive stats has just as hard a time as a younger student with sub-competitive stats. An older student who can't get solid LORs, can't interview well, won't volunteer etc. has the same trouble getting in as a younger student. Younger students collect tall piles of rejection letters as fast as older students. Getting in is hard. It's not any more unfair to be rejected for being older by any one school as it is unfair to be rejected for being shy/immature/inexperienced.

Those middle-aged people have to meet the same acceptance standard as younger people. In addition, those middle-aged people have to be part of the tiny, tiny, tiny percentage who are willing to give up a good living to go serve the greater good. Having the willingness to go be a rural family practice doc doesn't equate with "will pass board exams".

Facts are so nice. Such as: in general, prereqs don't expire. Known exceptions: UMass, Miami. You typically can't do well on the MCAT if your prereqs are really old, so the good advice you get at a later age is to see the material again. If you have taken no recent bio, you won't do well on the MCAT. To address concerns about recent academic capabilities, take some upper div sci and do really well on the MCAT.

Have a nice day.

Your comments are all over the place, and I'm not sure to whom you are directing them, or what your main point is. Obviously something I wrote set you off, though.

How does saying that older students have a harder time getting in than younger students indicate that I think it is easy for younger students? And, how does it indicate that I have ignored the various factors which may be coming into play? It's tough for everyone, but exceptionally tough for someone who will end up being a decade from typical retirement age by the time they're even through their residency. And I don't see any bias as being any more unfair than med schools who refuse to accept very well qualified applicants who finished college in 3 years and are only 20 or 21. And I never said NO older applicants get in. But why give a space to someone who will not be in the profession for as long as a younger applicant will likely be? (I'm saying that from the perspective of an admissions committee. BTW, I happen not to be applying to med school but I will be 36 when I start an OT program. I already have a masters degree in an unrelated field. So I am not some young jerk who thinks I'm going to have an easy time of getting into med school.)

I have, admittedly, not looked at the requirement for every med school (though some), though I have looked quite a bit at OT, PT, PA, nurse practitioner, MS in nursing, etc.. Many (perhaps most?) schools in those fields require prereqs to have been taken within 5-7 years of application to the program (actual time limit varies by program.) I suppose perhaps that makes sense, given that applicants don't have to take the MCAT, which demonstrates current knowledge. My mistake... I will admit that that particular point may not be valid. However, I would assume that in order to do well on the MCAT you would need more than a bunch of science classes taken 15 or 20 years ago. I graduated from college 11 years ago and am re-taking certain classes right now, and I can tell you... while stuff sounds vaguely familiar, I don't think I'm having an easier time than the students for whom the information is new. You just don't remember this stuff, other than in vague terms. Effectively, prereqs expire because you're going to either have to put in enormous amounts of self-study time, or retake the classes, in order to prep for the MCAT.
 
I just wanted to add this other comment. I went to a top liberal arts college, where over 50% of the students had gone to private high schools (mostly boarding school.) 75% of the graduates of my college go on to get at least one advanced degree. Most of these degrees are JD, MD, MBA or PhD. So, I know a LOT of people who went to med school - successfully or unsuccessfully - because medicine is one of those "expected" professions for people coming through that kind of academic pipeline. My former classmates provide interesting and varied perspectives - from the MD who decided he didn't want to practice medicine and went on to a related PhD program after obtaining the MD, to the MD who went on to an UNrelated PhD program (Religion) after med school, to the MD who went on to get a JD, too (!), to, of course, those people who finished everything successfully and are now in practice. The general view is that older applicants must be even more extraordinary than younger applicants in order to be successful. This is for a couple reasons. First - they've had a lot of time to accomplish a lot. Have they? It's not unlike the high school student who at 18 is admitted to a selective college on the strength of his academic record, which shows "potential" for success... versus someone who wants to go to the same college at a later age, with a similar record, but an undistinguished interim period between high school and applying to college. The same concept applies for grad school, and for med school. If the older applicant has accomplished a lot, that maturity and those accomplishments can work for them, but if they've got 20 years of just going through the motions, not so much. Younger applicants only have to account for that brief time in college - when it tends to be very easy to get involved and throw yourself into academics and clubs and volunteering and research and maybe a short time afterwards.

Secondly, the older applicants tend to be very physically fit. I'm serious. We're talking the people who run marathons and ultramarathons and maybe even have been successful on a competitive circuit. This shows a clear reason why they may be interested in medicine, and also shows they have the stamina it would take to make it through school and a residency.
 
Secondly, the older applicants tend to be very physically fit. I'm serious. We're talking the people who run marathons and ultramarathons and maybe even have been successful on a competitive circuit. This shows a clear reason why they may be interested in medicine, and also shows they have the stamina it would take to make it through school and a residency.
Most ridic thing I have read in a while - good work 👍
 
Most ridic thing I have read in a while - good work 👍

*Pats self on back.*

I'm well aware it SOUNDS ridiculous, which is why I said "I'm serious." I'm just talking about anecdotal evidence, not like med schools have some published guidelines or something like that. I'm not being articulate enough on this one. The older students (40s) I have heard about are exceptional in a number of realms. Exceptional physical fitness, and particularly marathoning and competition shows dedication and discipline. It also, of course, ups the chances that someone who will be 50 while doing his or her residency will have the stamina to keep up with everything.
 
Anecdotal evidence on a population with a very small 'n'

Not sure one can make any conclusions based on either of these factors
 
I will give you the small 'n'. I think the important point is the need to be even more exceptional because one has had a significant amount of time in which to show what one can do. And, I have no doubt that someone who is going to be about a decade from retirement age once they practice will have to show that they have the stamina to succeed.

I'm going to duck out of this thread now...
 
I haven't looked at all stats, but suffice it to say, with all due respect liz, well, I sense a bit of a ageistic tone--perhaps it some reality that isn't well known or publicized. Certainly whenever it comes up, it should be addressed.

Age to retirement? IMHO retirement is the kiss of death, literally.

No one has any guarantees of anything, regardless of the statistics.

If you look at racial statistics without the UR provisions put in there, you could say it doesn't look as good as it does for them as it does for others academically. And you add to this the stats showing greater health risks and shorter lifespans noted for various groups--even w/o the low income, sociological issues that factor into their health statistics. Now a good percentage may not live as long as those of other races. Should that be a factor in admitting them? Well, it can't because of EEOC, but if we are talking taking people out of the long-term commitment to medicine, well, there it is.

No Ad Com should not draw those conclusions based on such demographics. No one should make judgments in such ways.

As I said a while back, if you are going to discriminate in ANY way on the basis of age, well then, you had better start asking applicants about their participation in high risk recreational activities--say sky diving or mountain climbing or flying. I have known more than a couple of young docs that died while participating in such high risk activities. Some spots for long-termers could have been saved for those that enjoy the low risk recreational activities.

Let's also ask about those that choose to drive to work as opposed to riding their bikes or horses, or walking (Yes those activities carry some risk, but not as great as those for driving and MVAs.) And God forbid an applicant have a motorcycle license! Gasp!

What about asking an applicant about his or her sexual health and lifestyle? Ut Oh. That gets problematic too.

Bottom line is that it behooves fair, reasonable, and ethicaly-minded people on adcoms to put aside the biases, do their due diligence, and look at the WHOLE application file and the applicant. Age/birth date shouldn't be any kind of screen or marker against giving an interview or seriously considering an applicant.

I'm lucky. I am one of those people that look very young--a burden, particularly when going out after work with friends. It doesn't change what is written on my application--my birth date. If this is a discriminating factor, it will be over by way of scanning over the demographics on the application. What is that DOB? This suggests a reaction that sounds as if one's DOB is something she or he should be ashamed. LOL
You are born when you are born, period. Life is incredibly short for us all, and for some, w/o prediction, shorter than for others.

Everyone emphasis quality over quantity. Even modern medicine speaks of promoting quality of life. OK, so then the quality of the individual applicant's file and real life insight into the applicant needs to be what adcoms see--unless they choose to swim in a sea of dissimulation. Quality is a different measure from quantity. It's just that quality can be harder to measure than quantity. So we often try to measure it, quality, by some form of quantity. And if you are measuring quality BY quantity, MCAT scores for example, OK, fine. But how in the world does age enter into that equation?

To judge against giving someone a seat b/c you think they are close to retirement--especially facing the current reality that no one can afford to retire--is shortsighted. Heck there are folks that get into med school, graduate, go into residency, and then they decide to walk away from it all. I have known a few of them as well. For some it is more costly to do this than others. But people get into medicine, and they don't have any real clue of how hard it is--well beyond the getting in part of it. They literally want to jump out of their skin thinking that will have to "do" medicine for the rest of their working days, whatever they may be. And IMHO, part of that is medicine's fault for allowing so much of it to be glorified.


If you have two great applicants, but one is younger than the other, it is playing god to dismiss the one applicant simply b/c he or she is over 40. Nah. You have to do better than that.

It reminds me of the days when women were discouraged from med school b/c of their potential for pregnancy and raising children. Egads! They will leave medicine, and we won't be able to fill in the gaps. Meanwhile, med schools continued to be hard to get into.

You can't do that today. In the same manner of thinking, no one should dismiss an applicant b/c he or she is over 40. Listen, it takes a good twenty years to raise kids if you try to do the job right. Yes you can work part time and raise them. And yes, if need be, a person can certainly be over 55 or 60 or whatever and work part time or greater hours.
I can share of a number of docs that worked > than .75/week into their 80s.

I submit, in general, the only docs you are going to see retiring as young as 50's or early to mid 60's are going to be (or are) those that can't afford the malpractice insurance and don't have enough group practice support or must sell to a group.

One good thing about facing the realities of bankrupt SS and retirement accounts that have taken serious losses is that people are seeing that they can't afford to be as complacent about their wellness. So, they are trying to eat better, exercise, and in general be healthier. They KNOW they are going to have to work longer than those a generation before them. What's more, as people get healthier, they realize they have a lot more to contribute and a lot of living to do.

Personally, I plan to keep on living until I die and that means contributing in the area I know I can add the most--rather than just putzing around on some golf course or planning my next cruise.

My. . .ours is quite the ageistic society of people.

I look at each person, each patient, each student as the unique individual she or he is. Shame on medicine or ad coms if they are taking the ageistic view of people including their MS applicants.

Also, I am just wondering if an applicant should mention if they are recovering from a cancer or some potentially recurrent infectious disease, or how about an autoimmune disease on a application or during an interview? Hmmm??? I mean heck, wouldn't that factor into a seat going to someone with a supposed shortened life span? Hmmm. . .again. . .

You can see how this reasoning gets to be ridiculous after a while.

I am a nurse, and I've done a lot of open heart recovery. I have seen 80 year olds fly during immediate post-op recovery, whilst 30 and 40 year old circled the drain. If there is one thing I've learned in my nursing career, it is this. Look at the whole person and the whole picture. Anything less is a gross disservice to both the individual and all those requiring care.

So please go back and tell the adcoms to look at the whole application, the whole package, the whole person. I get that initially they have to look at the MCAT and GPA b/c of the sheer number of applicants. That's fine. But as they are doing so, tell them to ignore the DOB, just as they would ignore the gender or race or other EEOC-factor--or perhaps some physical trait like curly or straight hair or whether or not they have bow legs or a pointy nose or say HIV or pregnancy. In short, don't discriminate on the basis of age, anymore than you would gender or genetics or race or culture and religion.
 
Last edited:
As usual when I write a long post, my login timed out and when I went to submit it it was lost. Sigh.

So here is my response in a nutshell, not written was well as it was before. Jl Lin, I think you are misunderstanding a couple of my points. First of all, this problem is well-known, and one of which I have not only seen anecdotal "evidence" but about which I have read articles. (It mostly comes up in the context of the shortage of people who want to go into primary care.) And obviously, as another poster said, there are people over 40 in med school classes, so adcomms do not just dismiss them outright. I also never said that younger people have an easy time getting in.

In previous comments I talked about people starting to practice a decade before "retirement age." In my first comment, I think I wrote before "the normal [or usual] retirement age." By normal or usual, I meant "standard" but I did not mean to suggest that I think the standard retirement age for most doctors is 65. I was just using the phrase as a stand-in for 65. I didn't mean to indicate that these people would only be in the profession for 10 or 15 years. But whether they retire at 65 or 75, it is true that they will very likely not be contributing to the profession for as long as someone who starts at 30 - even taking into account those 30-year-olds who have unhealthy lifestyles and/or engage in high risk activities. But, my main point was not about lifespan or time spent in the profession, although I do think adcomms will weigh what a person can get out of the program and how much they are likely to contribute to the profession when making an admissions decision.

My main point was about stamina. It is a simple fact of life that as you age, your energy levels and stamina tend to go down. I say that as someone who will be 34 in a few weeks. I am healthy and pretty fit, and I'm not 45 or 50, but I notice a marked decrease in energy from when I was 22... even though when I was 22 I wasn't always eating well and I was drinking heavily. On the whole, the same is true of everyone. The best way to slow this process, though, is physical fitness. I was not suggesting that adcomms would require older applicants to answer questions about lifestyle. Good physical fitness can usually be seen. (Yes, I know there's the whole debate about healthy fat people and unhealthy thin people... I'm not talking about "thin." I'm talking about fit. This is generally obvious, particularly when we're talking about extreme fitness, and an older population.) Serious engagement in healthy activities, like regular road racing, or whatever, will also come out at other points (interview, perhaps in application, etc..) Adcomms are going to want to admit people they think will succeed in the program and be able to get through a grueling program, pulling long study hours and concentrating for long periods of time. They will want people who can make it through long shifts without requiring sleep and making mistakes. I do think they're going to look for extra evidence of these abilities in older applicants (although I am not suggesting they will ask for supplemental information.) ON AVERAGE they can assume that a young applicant will have the energy, regardless of less than stellar habits.

BTW, regarding claims of ageism - I am married and my husband is 48. He is in upper management, in a high-stress position which requires long work hours, and he is healthy and fit. Still, he needs to go to bed by 9:30 or 10 at the absolute latest every night. I see the difference in energy even between the two of us. I don't mean, say, we go out for a bike ride and he's wiped and I'm not. I mean when it comes to the end of the day... there is a point where he just needs to go to bed.
 
Thanks for your repsonse, but I still have to side with Dr. Midlife's logic. While your perspective on the subjective biases of some on adcoms may exist, just as I am certain racial and even gender biases still exist, it remains simply that--a subjective perspective. And you are certainly welcome to it.

The number crunching and interview eval of applicants really must go to weighing the the whole package. Any other reasoning on the part of those that sit on adcoms is faulty.

I have a website for you. You may have seen it before. http://www.oldpremeds.org/fusionbb/index.php?

Read some of the diaries posted there.



The reality is that it is hard for just about anyone to get into med school. (I said of course hard, not impossible, obviously. . .) There are X amount of seats and X^100 amount of applicants.

Those that make a compelling application with regard to cGPA, sGPA, MCAT scores, experiences, volunteering, research, and all the rest will ultimately have the same shot of getting in as their younger counterparts.

And when all is said and done, it is illegal to discriminate on the basis of age. Sure, it has to be pursued legally and proven; but it is something that can cause a school to lose funding and to ose face.

NO school wants bad press. Trust me. Bad press is a killer to them. Schools still are in business to make money and have influence and prestige. Why do you think schools put so much time and money into their football teams?

Your perspective on this bias may weigh in on some level with some misguided folks on adcoms, but overall, they just can't afford to play this game.

The name of the game is to make the absolute best application and interview that you can, and to be vigilant, persistent, and dedicated. Ultimately, in my experience in healthcare, the last three traits count for more than anything in medicine and healthcare.

The other stuff equals opinions, which are fine. . .but you know what they say about opinions in terms of comparison with other things. . .
 
First of all, I do not believe that it is illegal to discriminate on the basis of age, particularly in the context of private university admissions - or even a job, if age got in the way of ability to do the job. Usually in cases of discrimination, you have to show that "all other things were equal." And that is what I think adcomms would be looking for - all other things to be equal. To do so, they have to make sure that the older applicants have the ability to make it, given the mental and physical demands of the program.
 
Lizzo is 34 i believe based on another thread.

This is becoming the most ridic thread on here - i'd vote for leaving it alone
 
Do you realize that people who apply to med school generally tend to sign or check something that says they will be able to meet the technical standards needed for med school otherwise they'd not be able to get accepted???

So that argument is lame and stupid.

Secondly, every school has a disclaimer that there is a policy against discrimination on the basis of things like age and gender, etc.

Thirdly, yes I'm sure there are schools like some IVY league schools which are not used to nontrad students as they are not the ones that take career changers who may have had a 2.5 in ugrad and went back and did well type of students. So sometimes when they see people who are older and who may not have had low grades in ugrad but just chose to apply later in life but are accomplished, they may show some personal discrimination or bias. It happened to a degree to my friend at a top 10 school which will remain unnamed but another top 10 and several other top 20s gave her acceptances and some with full scholarship. So yes I'm not saying it doesn't happen at places because it does.

but you'd be wise to note there are also several schools which would easily take a 41 year old who is more brilliant over a 20 year old any day of the week. USF med for instance has accepted people who were as old as 50+ from what REL has told us from his days there. Amongst people I knew who were in USF's MD program that were older was a guy who was 39 or so when he was admitted, another who was 32. another who was 30 and accepted but chose to go to UF med. There was a lady who got into Umiami who is now in New York for IM residency who entered when she was 39. She was a nurse of 10 years and she had a high postbac GPA in prereqs, was a spanish major in ugrad, and also did nursing for 10 years. She was loved by the 4 schools of the time that interviewed her. She'll be practicing in 2012 unless she is going on to do a fellowship and then practice.

Then there's the notorious Panda Bear MD poster who posts his blog on this site that was also late 30s when he went back to med school.

So my point is you need to also recognize the original post I made a few posts back. There are schools where discrimination may exist but there are also several others where it won't. So get over your over the top arguments about age.

Also how old are you? You mentioned a 48 year old husband,. If you are 20 years younger, that's just weird to me.

I'll be 34 in a few weeks. I'm terribly sorry if a 14-year age difference is "weird" to you.

You are misunderstanding my points. If you think my claims are ridiculous, it's because you're not paying attention to what I am actually saying and are responding to some erroneous idea you've formulated of what I am supposedly saying. (And first, there is a difference between choosing to have a policy against discriminating on the basis of age, and having it be ILLEGAL to discriminate on that basis in university admissions, which was the claim someone made.) And, I've never said that schools discriminate on the basis of age. Obviously, the idea that an older applicant would be at any disadvantage is upsetting you in some way and you're having kneejerk responses without paying attention. I never SAID schools don't accept older applicants, so all your examples do nothing to debunk my statements. I also NEVER said that schools would choose a younger person over an older person where the older person is clearly smarter than the younger person. You're responding to claims which I never made. They will always rule out the person who is not as smart (or appears less smart given grades and test scores.) But once all academic things are equal, they will need to see demonstrated evidence that a person will deal well with the rigors - academic and physical - of med school. Merely stating that one can do so does not make it so.

ETA - I am 34. I do not think I will be applying to med school, but if I do, I will be 36 at that time. 36 is actually much younger than what I am talking about when I refer to an "older" applicant. I find it amusing that you think someone who is 30 or 32 is an "older" applicant. So, I will repeat - I am not some young jerk who wants to think I'm a shoo-in while older applicants won't get in. You should probably go back and read ALL of my posts on this thread before replying.
 
Last edited:
Lizzo is 34 i believe based on another thread.

This is becoming the most ridic thread on here - i'd vote for leaving it alone


Hi Rob. May I ask exactly what you mean by that? Ridiculous in what way? Are you suggesting that this will just end up being about biased circles in the sand? Are you suggesting people will become unduly emotionally charged?

Personally, though it may end up being a large waste of time, I believe lizzo has some points that need to be addressed and clarified in that her notion, in general, suggests something quite erroneous to other folks. Many folks come to this site for information and yes also support. Her position, while she says otherwise, seems generally rooted largely in her own subjective biases.

Age alone cannot and should not be a factor--just as it should not necessarily be so with regard to say surgery. If the age is accompanied with deleterious or chronic conditions that tilt the benefits risk ratio against the person looking to have it, well, so be it.
But in reality, they are looking at chronic or deleterious conditions that would make someone even many years younger a higer risk as well. A number of folks can do a look of hard living along with their chronic disease as compared with a number of older folks with the same chronic diseases.

I will stand fast in my clinical experiences and say, as in the above example, to look at the whole person, period. You can't, as another example, dismiss surgery on an African American b/c in general AfAms may have a higher percentage HTN than others. You first have to find out if the person HAS HTN (hypertension) or not, regardless of whether or not he or she is AfAm. Noting the individual's AfAm race is simply an alert for looking into certain health concerns more closely. Same thing with age.

In a similar manner, a good MS application is a good application; thus age must be taken out of the equation, period. End of story.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Its ridic because its not accomplishing anything, and after a while it starts to become circular and the arguments pointless.

Thats why
 
Yes, pointless b/c it would seem that someone's opinion is based resoundingly in bias.

But, it is not pointless if there is any measureable basis for lizzo's position. That is to say, if AC members put any real weight behind what lizzo is saying and make their decisions accordingly, then, no it isn't pointless.

It should be obvious as to why it would matter, if what she is saying is true.
 
I'm not sure many people agree with Lizzo.

But hey jl lin, if you want to get all bent out of shape cos of what one member says on here and who will undoubtedly disappear into the abyss where most of these polarizing members disappear into then go for it. have you fun here.
 
If you're looking for somebody to provide data that substantiates illegal bias, or data that substantiates that there isn't any illegal bias, there is no data.

It's true that individual bias is part of the interview process. That bias is illegal in many cases, but it's there. Humans are involved. It's selective and subjective. The farther you deviate from the thin 21yo well-spoken black-suited Aryan/Asian norm, the more biases you run into. Anti-fat, anti-urban, anti-religious, anti-California, anti-blonde, anti-tattoo, anti-pants-on-women, anti-public-schools...as well as anti-old, anti-uterus, anti-not-from-here. An excom who just doesn't like you for legal or illegal reasons may choose not to fight for you. I choose to believe that admissions committees do the best they can, and that ethics violations are generally rare.

It's also true that a well-qualified candidate who applies early and broadly and has a compelling app and solid interview tends to do pretty well. At age 20. 30. 40. With/without tattoos. Fit or fat. Religious or not. Name a characteristic: there are med students with that characteristic. Thus: apply early & broadly with a solid app, don't pick your nose or insult anybody during interviews, jump through the hoops like a border collie. Play the game. Because an admissions committee doing the best it can doesn't have to try very hard to admit an admissible candidate.

40,000+ candidates. 20,000ish seats. 55% get rejected. Rejection causes bitterness that should be obviated by math. Stop worrying about somebody maybe possibly allowing an unprosecutably illegal partial influence on a complex decision at some school.

Entitlement is immaturity.

Best of luck to you.
 
Most of the excessively long posts in this thread are not useful at all to the original poster, and make me feel like I am reading a 20 page New Yorker article.

Age bias exists in medical school admissions. There is no objective way to qualify or quantify it, and any attempt to do so has about as much validity as me saying that in 6 days it will rain for 52 minutes.

The only helpful things to the OP, would be how to be the strongest possible applicant and to highlight strengths and correct or mitigate weaknesses. In terms of age, this would likely mean demonstrating a history of success with skills that can translate to a good physician, and possibly demonstrating a high level of tenacity and physical stamina.
 
I am wondering if we could know how prevalent this "age" bias is, would it really help to know?

Life often is unfair and imbalanced. You do the best you can, and you keep moving forward.

Anything else is a waste of breath and energy.
 
robflanker - I'm not a "polarizing" member. I made a comment which actually was quite in line with what many before me had said. Others chose not to believe it and/or to misconstrue it and try to get into an argument about it.

DrArete has the same point I have. Is he polarizing?
 
Unfortunately your age...will likely be a detriment to you. It is virtually impossible to get into medical school at an advanced age...

I'm not a "polarizing" member
You lost me at "virtually impossible."

What in the world is your point in joining this discussion? To make sure that eveyrbody is aware that age (is one of the bazillion factors that) makes med school a difficult goal? We got it. Thanks much.
 
What is anyone's point in joining this discussion? I admit I should not have worded it so strongly. It's very difficult for anyone to get into med school, even more so for someone in his or her 40s, and yes I think someone that age has even more of an uphill battle and will have to do evidence of stamina, which younger applicants wouldn't have to. But no, I don't think everyone's "got it." Certain people keep insisting that age cannot be a factor in admissions because that is "illegal" and I disagree.
 
Yes, you are polarizing; and i am beginning to think crazy.

I am done here, enjoy your little corner of crazytown Lizzo