4Pharmacy Students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOPharmMD

Aspiring PharmD
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I did poorly in a recent organic chemistry II exam. Suddenly, I have a D average; 3 more tests remain. I just took Physics/calculus exam II today. I'm very worried. I love science, but it looks like I have no particular interest in organic chemistry as I do inorganic chemistry. Some topics can be fun in organic chemistry, however, for the most part it is really uninteresting. I love physics, chemistry, math. Here's my question for you. As pharmacy students, how much to you deal with topics of organic chemistry in your school? I'm not trying to find the easy way out in pharm school, for I'm very aware hard work awaits me once I get admitted. It just that sometimes, the pre-requisites are so hard and challenging. And the more I realize that my future depend on my grades, the more I worry and blank on the test (fortunately, I get back to my senses).
An engineer told me that while, of course, all the calculus classes are prerequisites to being an engineer, he rarely uses them for work. He mostly uses algebra.

I'm just curious, how much more challenging is pharmacy school compared to the pre-requisites. I know there is biochemistry to be learned and that some organic is needed to master it. But I imagine, I would like biochemistry more as it deals mostly with chemistry of the body (not a small task). I'll study hard if I have to. I'm just realizing that I just don't like organic chemistry. Unless, one aspires to be a pure chemist, organic chemistry is just not fun. I'm looking at a molecule, and it looks like it is an R - 1-choloro-1-fluoroethyl enantimoer. Wrong! I can visualize things pretty good in my head (I play blindfold chess, often 50 moves deep into a game against players with full sight of board!) Apparently I can't visualize chiral molecule. (with the set, it's even more confusing!)

Members don't see this ad.