This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Firenze222

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
My third year finishes (including taking boards) at the end of July. I've been trying to figure out whether it would be possible to do two back-to-back ADTs because of the whole "no ADTs allowed October 1-15" thing. I've reached out to the hpsp contact person but still awaiting a response. I was hoping someone can clarify the situation.

For example, I want to schedule my ADT as follows:
18-31 July on school orders, 1-31 August at site #1
1-30 Sept at site #2, 1-15 October on school orders

Given the schedule, is the 2nd ADT allowed (since it includes Oct 1-15)?

Members don't see this ad.

My third year finishes (including taking boards) at the end of July. I've been trying to figure out whether it would be possible to do two back-to-back ADTs because of the whole "no ADTs allowed October 1-15" thing. I've reached out to the hpsp contact person but still awaiting a response. I was hoping someone can clarify the situation.

For example, I want to schedule my ADT as follows:
18-31 July on school orders, 1-31 August at site #1
1-30 Sept at site #2, 1-15 October on school orders

Given the schedule, is the 2nd ADT allowed (since it includes Oct 1-15)?

Do they need to be in different fiscal years? It's been awhile but I thought so. If so, that plan won't work.

No.

No part of the 45 days (school or MTF) will be allowed from 1-15 October. It has nothing to do with the fiscal year other than if like in 2013 the government shuts down due to lack of a budget. The HPSP students who were scheduled for ADT in October 2013 got burned and once burned twice shy.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure how I can check, but I'm fairly certain I did an ADT 1 Sept - 15 Oct (Sept ADT at MTF 1, Oct "school orders" while doing a non-ADT rotation at MTF 2) my MS4 year.

I'm not sure how I can check, but I'm fairly certain I did an ADT 1 Sept - 15 Oct (Sept ADT at MTF 1, Oct "school orders" while doing a non-ADT rotation at MTF 2) my MS4 year.

Sir, this policy wasn't placed until 2014...

No.

No part of the 45 days (school or MTF) will be allowed from 1-15 October. It has nothing to do with the fiscal year other than if like in 2013 the government shuts down due to lack of a budget. The HPSP students who were scheduled for ADT in October 2013 got burned and once burned twice shy.

Thank you for the clear answer. If possible, I still would really like to find a way to make use of the 2nd ADT before the military match. If I were to schedule my 2nd ADT starting Oct 16 + 45 days, would that be too late to get a LOR from that rotation and still have it as a part of my residency application?

Also this might not even be a possibility but since Oct 1-15 is not allowed and is an exception, could I do say Sept 1-30 MTF and Oct 16-31 on school orders?? Or does ADT have to be a continuous 45 day period? Seems like Oct 1-15 is placed in a very inconvenient time period before applications are due.

All ADTs are for a continuous 45 days.

Yes you can do 16 Oct +44. There are two schools of thought on doing a late ADT, one is that you'll only be there a short while prior to the PD having to submit the rank list. Show up late for one morning report, or let someone not be able to find you when you're in the bathroom and it can leave a bad impression. The second is that your name and face is fresh in his mind and you were a real go-getter that the residents speak really well of.

Now, is it possible to do one of the two rotations prior to the start of your fourth year? Many students actually use an ADT for one of the third year core rotations...

Your call. I can only tell you policy.

You may want to speak to the Assistant Director about you career goals and she may have some advice for you. 1-877-MED-ARMY.

All ADTs are for a continuous 45 days.

Yes you can do 16 Oct +44. There are two schools of thought on doing a late ADT, one is that you'll only be there a short while prior to the PD having to submit the rank list. Show up late for one morning report, or let someone not be able to find you when you're in the bathroom and it can leave a bad impression. The second is that your name and face is fresh in his mind and you were a real go-getter that the residents speak really well of.

Now, is it possible to do one of the two rotations prior to the start of your fourth year? Many students actually use an ADT for one of the third year core rotations...

Your call. I can only tell you policy.

You may want to speak to the Assistant Director about you career goals and she may have some advice for you. 1-877-MED-ARMY.

In your experience, could the original poster move his dates back 15 days so they were both over by 30 September? Or does one have to be completed before 1 October and one after Oct 15 (like they do in the Navy)? I had heard that the Army doesn't care about the fiscal year thing (as in, the 3rd year ADT and 4th year ADT can be back to back in the same fiscal year) but I haven't seen that in writing and I don't know if there have been other changes since 2014.

could the original poster move his dates back 15 days so they were both over by 30 September? Or does one have to be completed before 1 October and one after Oct 15 (like they do in the Navy)?
Could he? Yep. Does he have to? Nope.

I had heard that the Army doesn't care about the fiscal year thing (as in, the 3rd year ADT and 4th year ADT can be back to back in the same fiscal year)

This is a true statement. The way that Title 10 reads is that "Members pursuing a course of study shall serve on active duty in pay grade O–1 with full pay and allowances of that grade for a period of 45 days during each year of participation in the program." Each year does not specify fiscal, academic or calendar. It gives the Services a little "fudge factor" in favor of the students...

Reactions: 1 user