4th Year Auditions - Desperate for advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wonderwoman1010

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

Like all other third years I'm in the process of setting up 4th year audition rotations and am in desperate need of advice since our school has been lacking in that department.

For auditions, is it better to apply widely and then potentially have to reject some programs or is it better to apply to just a few? I'm currently waiting to hear back from about 3 programs but others I'm interested in are opening up on VSAS and I don't know if I should go ahead and apply to those too or not.

Also, if one hospital has two programs I'm interested in (EM and pediatrics) since I'm not entirely sure what I want to do yet, is it bad to apply to both of those audition rotations at the same hospital or should I pick one?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone!

Like all other third years I'm in the process of setting up 4th year audition rotations and am in desperate need of advice since our school has been lacking in that department.

For auditions, is it better to apply widely and then potentially have to reject some programs or is it better to apply to just a few? I'm currently waiting to hear back from about 3 programs but others I'm interested in are opening up on VSAS and I don't know if I should go ahead and apply to those too or not.

Also, if one hospital has two programs I'm interested in (EM and pediatrics) since I'm not entirely sure what I want to do yet, is it bad to apply to both of those audition rotations at the same hospital or should I pick one?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Yes apply to more programs than you have rotation slots. It’s better turn down audition acceptances than to not have enough.

Not sure how it is for EM or peds, but I’m going for a surgical subspecialty, and have been told to never let programs know I’m auditioning in other specialties.

Agreed, and it's fine to turn down rotations after you have acceptances (politely). Places are used to it.

Apply wide. Also, as long as your school approves rotation changes, answer yes if they turn you down for your requested dates but ask if you can do a rotation on dates conflict with a core. If you tell them you have to check with school first, they will likely have moved on by the time you know school will approve the change.