4th year done AMA: The Force Awakens

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Faux

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
AMA: First year done A New Hope

AMA: 2nd YearEmpire Strikes back

AMA:3rd year Return of the Jedi

Figured one last lap as I close up shop in school

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
Do you have a job offer? Or what are your plans now?

Reactions: 2 users
Faux I think we'd appreciate an AMA one to two years into practice too.

How have you changed as a person over the last four years?

Having completed Dschool, what would you change about dental education?

Members don't see this ad :)
on a scale from 10 to 1000. How much dental school sucks?

Do you see pink and white or grey and teal??

How much did the corps wine and dine your class to get them to sign on with them and are the vast majority of them going to work corporate?

Do you have a job offer? Or what are your plans now?

I'm doing a one year AEGD that starts in July. I'm playing around with the idea and reapplying and doing another year else where, possibility at a VA just to get more exposure to a "different" way of doing things and also serve that particular population.

Faux I think we'd appreciate an AMA one to two years into practice too.

How have you changed as a person over the last four years?

Having completed Dschool, what would you change about dental education?

I had some significant family bumps over the year few years. I think I became more resilient in some ways. I mean its hard to stress about plastic teeth final practicals when your mom is in the hospital, you know? A while back a friend of mine broke down crying as they hugged me, claiming they never failed anything before, and here I was happy that I was able to make rent for the month because of some significant family difficulties. For better or worse, I had to juggle two lives emotionally and physically. I think it improved my outlook on life in some ways, maybe me more comfortable and relatable to patients and some of the issues they have. You'd be surprised on how easy they open up to you. It definitely made me more stress tolerant in clinic.

What I would change? more clinic time in 3rd year and more removable experience. Trim the fat a bit in terms of didactics.

on a scale from 10 to 1000. How much dental school sucks?

Like I said above, my personal issues made me not really have an "ideal" school experience. Like for example, my mom got into an accident a week before d1 fall finals, waas also hospitalized during d2 fall finals. Not to mentioned significant finical issues in-between. I still took my finals on time and did just fine(3.0 GPA). Did school suck? sure, but it wasn't what I was stressing about and more often than not, was my emotional escape.

I do think school got progressively easier each year but its hard to differentiate the changes to my stress tolerance and the actual work load. First year was just boring for me and didint enjoy all the sciences. Everything I found tolerable/enjoyable.

Do you see pink and white or grey and teal??

I don't see color

:wacky:
How much did the corps wine and dine your class to get them to sign on with them and are the vast majority of them going to work corporate?

We had a good number of lunch and learns from various interests, not always just corps. I never went to them and always ate at home to decompress. most of my class is doing residency. about 10% private practice.

What's one thing that you'd tell a first year, second year, third year, fourth year?

1st : It gets easier. Most of the stuff you will learn is needed for boards and never again. Take the punches and try not to complain. Exercise, find a hobby. Have fun and try not to beat your self up. Theres always going to be someone smarter. Just compete with your self.

2nd: Get as much advice on your projects as you can. Different eyes, different views. Don't be stubborn and learn. Enemy of perfect is good. Multitask, divide time appropriately between classes/projects that weigh a lot and very little. Don't get tunnel vision. Feed back is more important than countless hours of practice.

3rd: Listen and look at your patients. You're their advocate. Get to know them, don't always go straight to business. Listen to positive/constructive feedback from faculty, leave out the negative and don't take it personal.

4th: Learn as much as you can. Dabble in everything and have more of a life now.

Celebrate your successes, no matter how small. Stop and enjoy the view every now and then. More often than not, if you looked at my station during the start of a practical, I was just staring into space and enjoying the moment for a few minutes. Its going to be a draining 4 years, but theres far more worse things going in the world. If you try and maintain that perspective, you'll be happy/successful.

Reactions: 13 users
I'm doing a one year AEGD that starts in July. I'm playing around with the idea and reapplying and doing another year else where, possibility at a VA just to get more exposure to a "different" way of doing things and also serve that particular population.

I had some significant family bumps over the year few years. I think I became more resilient in some ways. I mean its hard to stress about plastic teeth final practicals when your mom is in the hospital, you know? A while back a friend of mine broke down crying as they hugged me, claiming they never failed anything before, and here I was happy that I was able to make rent for the month because of some significant family difficulties. For better or worse, I had to juggle two lives emotionally and physically. I think it improved my outlook on life in some ways, maybe me more comfortable and relatable to patients and some of the issues they have. You'd be surprised on how easy they open up to you. It definitely made me more stress tolerant in clinic.

What I would change? more clinic time in 3rd year and more removable experience. Trim the fat a bit in terms of didactics.

Like I said above, my personal issues made me not really have an "ideal" school experience. Like for example, my mom got into an accident a week before d1 fall finals, waas also hospitalized during d2 fall finals. Not to mentioned significant finical issues in-between. I still took my finals on time and did just fine(3.0 GPA). Did school suck? sure, but it wasn't what I was stressing about and more often than not, was my emotional escape.

I do think school got progressively easier each year but its hard to differentiate the changes to my stress tolerance and the actual work load. First year was just boring for me and didint enjoy all the sciences. Everything I found tolerable/enjoyable.

I don't see color

:wacky:

We had a good number of lunch and learns from various interests, not always just corps. I never went to them and always ate at home to decompress. most of my class is doing residency. about 10% private practice.

1st : It gets easier. Most of the stuff you will learn is needed for boards and never again. Take the punches and try not to complain. Exercise, find a hobby. Have fun and try not to beat your self up. Theres always going to be someone smarter. Just compete with your self.

2nd: Get as much advice on your projects as you can. Different eyes, different views. Don't be stubborn and learn. Enemy of perfect is good. Multitask, divide time appropriately between classes/projects that weigh a lot and very little. Don't get tunnel vision. Feed back is more important than countless hours of practice.

3rd: Listen and look at your patients. You're their advocate. Get to know them, don't always go straight to business. Listen to positive/constructive feedback from faculty, leave out the negative and don't take it personal.

4th: Learn as much as you can. Dabble in everything and have more of a life now.

Celebrate your successes, no matter how small. Stop and enjoy the view every now and then. More often than not, if you looked at my station during the start of a practical, I was just staring into space and enjoying the moment for a few minutes. Its going to be a draining 4 years, but theres far more worse things going in the world. If you try and maintain that perspective, you'll be happy/successful.
Great advice. Thank you. Wishing you the best of luck. You seem like a quality human. :)
*edited to add I hope your mom is doing better!

Are you worried about your dschool debt? Do you have a plan of action to tackle that debt?

Hi Faux, thank you for doing this, really appreciate it.

If I remember correctly, you go to Buffalo, right? Would you say that 90% of your class go into a residency because it’s a requirement of NY state to get license? I’m asking because at my school 90% of graduates go straight into private practice or corporate. How many of your classmates are doing a specialty?

Good luck on your journey after graduation and hope your mom is doing better.

Members don't see this ad :)
What’s your school and debt as of graduation?
Are you worried about your dschool debt? Do you have a plan of action to tackle that debt?

After interest, I owe 170k. I'm sure it would have been 155k or less if it wasn't for my family issues. But such is life. People owe significantly more so I can't complain. I hope to pay everything in next 5-6 years.

Hi Faux, thank you for doing this, really appreciate it.

If I remember correctly, you go to Buffalo, right? Would you say that 90% of your class go into a residency because it’s a requirement of NY state to get license? I’m asking because at my school 90% of graduates go straight into private practice or corporate. How many of your classmates are doing a specialty?

Good luck on your journey after graduation and hope your mom is doing better.

I think 10-15 % specialized, ill try and look at stats again. But we have people doing residency out side of NY too.

Reactions: 1 user
Just wanna day you are awesome! Been reading your stuff since I was a pre dent and now I’m moving onto 3rd year. Boy does time fly past!
Shoutout from the other SUNY!

Reactions: 1 user
After interest, I owe 170k. I'm sure it would have been 155k or less if it wasn't for my family issues. But such is life. People owe significantly more so I can't complain. I hope to pay everything in next 5-6 years.

Next question, how on earth did you get out with so little debt???

That only goes so far with most students. I guess the stars aligned for the OP because I’m going to get 7/8 semesters at the in-state rate and still have almost twice his debt at one of the least expensive schools in the US (UNC). No dental schools are near where my parents live (I’m married as well). We’re planning on spending down our savings but it won’t help much. I picked the cheapest school and am still going to have a ton of debt.

I just can’t believe that the OP’s situation is representative of students as a whole who are beginning now.

Next question, how on earth did you get out with so little debt???
Savings probably and also state school helps.
Maybe scholarships and maybe staying at home (?). Mine will be way less than that.
That only goes so far with most students. I guess the stars aligned for the OP because I’m going to get 7/8 semesters at the in-state rate and still have almost twice his debt at one of the least expensive schools in the US (UNC). No dental schools are near where my parents live (I’m married as well). We’re planning on spending down our savings but it won’t help much. I picked the cheapest school and am still going to have a ton of debt.

I just can’t believe that the OP’s situation is representative of students as a whole who are beginning now.

I think I included it in my first year AMA, but I got an instate tuition scholarship that only covered tuition and not fees. I also got around 50-60k in health profession loan that had a fixed 5% rate and no interest generated during school as long as I sign every year to pay within 10 years. I owe 3.5k in undergrad load from hard working single parent.

Reactions: 2 users
I think I included it in my first year AMA, but I got an instate tuition scholarship that only covered tuition and not fees. I also got around 50-60k in health profession loan that had a fixed 5% rate and no interest generated during school as long as I sign every year to pay within 10 years. I owe 3.5k in undergrad load from hard working single parent.
Thanks for the info. That makes sense. Unfortunately I didn’t get any scholarship offers and I got offered a whopping $3,600 my first year in HPSLs hahaha.

Any tips for getting a scholarship while in DS?

What’s your DAT and GPA like to get such a big scholarship?

30AA/30TS 4.0

lol just 22AA/22TS - 3.6GPA.
My interviews and personal statement helped a lot I think. I got huge scholarships from UCSF and Michigan as well which helped me negotiate my in state school scholarship to a higher amount so I will only be paying some fees like Faux. UCSF was tempting but I just followed @Big Time Hoosier

Reactions: 1 users