4th Year @ Midwestern, Arizona - AMA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cello

Practicing Dentist
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

This is the last year I can do this before I graduate, so if you have any questions about MWU-AZ ask away!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Is it true midwestern hired someone claiming to be a dental anesthesiologist, but he wasn’t licensed as one

Is it true midwestern hired someone claiming to be a dental anesthesiologist, but he wasn’t licensed as one

I think you are talking about Pankaj Goyal: Board re-opens probes into dentist with fake credentials

I don't know if he worked for Midwestern in the past, he was not employed during my time here and I have never heard anyone refer to him as a past faculty member. He illegally obtained a general anesthesia permit (1301) in the state of Arizona by forging documents. The governor's office wants him to lose his license, as do many of the dental board members. I think he got 2 years probation, and they are still trying to decide what to do about his license which is currently suspended. You can read more about it in the article I linked.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it a private school or a state school?

How do you like the curriculum? Do you get enough clinical experience in school?

Other than GPA and DAT, what do the admissions committee really look at/for? (i.e. is the school big on community service, etc?)

I think you are talking about Pankaj Goyal: Board re-opens probes into dentist with fake credentials

I don't know if he worked for Midwestern in the past, he was not employed during my time here and I have never heard anyone refer to him as a past faculty member. He illegally obtained a general anesthesia permit (1301) in the state of Arizona by forging documents. The governor's office wants him to lose his license, as do many of the dental board members. I think he got 2 years probation, and they are still trying to decide what to do about his license which is currently suspended. You can read more about it in the article I linked.
That’s a pretty crazy story. I figured it would be a lot harder to fake documents. He definitely got off easy

How much debt have you accrued?

What is your strategy to pay off your student debt?

What is your strategy to pay off your student debt?

My strategy will be as follows:

1) Consolidate and re-finance all of my student loans to a private loan company at a lower rate. Usually you can find a company that offers below 4% depending on your credit, income, etc.
2) Pay the minimum amount on my student loans.
3) Put money aside to purchase a practice within my first year, two at most. Usually, higher cash flow from practice ownership allows you to pay down your student loans much faster if that's your goal.
4) Invest widely, knowing that it's better to make 7-8% ROI on investments than it is to pay back loans that carry 4% interest or less.

That's my plan right now.

How much debt have you accrued?

With my latest disbursement I am at $417,000. It sucks. But, I know several graduates from within the last 5 years who have paid their debt off already or are close to paying it off, so it isn't all bad.

That’s a pretty crazy story. I figured it would be a lot harder to fake documents. He definitely got off easy

He just happened to get caught. Imagine how many are out there that haven't been!

Is it a private school or a state school?

How do you like the curriculum? Do you get enough clinical experience in school?

Other than GPA and DAT, what do the admissions committee really look at/for? (i.e. is the school big on community service, etc?)

Midwestern is a private non-profit school. Most new dental schools that have opened since 2000 are private.

I feel that we get more than enough clinical experience at this school, which is one reason I chose to go here.

The admissions committee here is really into holistic candidates. Most importantly, they are looking for people who seem like team players, who aren't arrogant, and who are capable of seeing the bigger picture. We have lots of non-traditional students, former military, people who had careers before dental school. Our school has a large LDS population, probably around 1/3 of the class is Mormon, and a sizeable portion of the faculty too. I'm not saying that religion is necessarily considered during the admissions process, but obviously there are large numbers of Mormons applying and getting in here. We have a Master's program here on campus and a certain number of students from that program are pretty much guaranteed admission each year to our dental school, though I don't remember the exact number, I want to say around 10 from a class of 140. Our school really values applicants who want to be general dentists.

Reactions: 4 users

1) Consolidate and re-finance all of my student loans to a private loan company at a lower rate. Usually you can find a company that offers below 4% depending on your credit, income, etc.
2) Pay the minimum amount on my student loans.
3) Put money aside to purchase a practice within my first year, two at most. Usually, higher cash flow from practice ownership allows you to pay down your student loans much faster if that's your goal.
4) Invest widely, knowing that it's better to make 7-8% ROI on investments than it is to pay back loans that carry 4% interest or less.

That's my plan right now.

With my latest disbursement I am at $417,000. It sucks. But, I know several graduates from within the last 5 years who have paid their debt off already or are close to paying it off, so it isn't all bad.

He just happened to get caught. Imagine how many are out there that haven't been!

Midwestern is a private non-profit school. Most new dental schools that have opened since 2000 are private.

I feel that we get more than enough clinical experience at this school, which is one reason I chose to go here.

The admissions committee here is really into holistic candidates. Most importantly, they are looking for people who seem like team players, who aren't arrogant, and who are capable of seeing the bigger picture. We have lots of non-traditional students, former military, people who had careers before dental school. Our school has a large LDS population, probably around 1/3 of the class is Mormon, and a sizeable portion of the faculty too. I'm not saying that religion is necessarily considered during the admissions process, but obviously there are large numbers of Mormons applying and getting in here. We have a Master's program here on campus and a certain number of students from that program are pretty much guaranteed admission each year to our dental school, though I don't remember the exact number, I want to say around 10 from a class of 140. Our school really values applicants who want to be general dentists.

thank you for the detailed response

Can you post the clinical requirements for 3rd and 4th year?

3) Put money aside to purchase a practice within my first year, two at most.
Congrats on making it through 3 yrs. You're almost done. :)

1. Which lenders offer below 4% interest on student loans.
2. Are you considering practicing in AZ? If so .... which area?
3. Ever run into Dr. Shelley or Dr. Cufone? A couple of dentists I know who teach there.

Congrats on making it through 3 yrs. You're almost done. :)

1. Which lenders offer below 4% interest on student loans.
2. Are you considering practicing in AZ? If so .... which area?
3. Ever run into Dr. Shelley or Dr. Cufone? A couple of dentists I know who teach there.

Thank you! I am definitely going to stay in AZ and will work wherever I can find a good opportunity. Dr. Cufone is awesome, he teaches our CAD/CAM courses during our first two years; I don't know Dr. Shelley though. Do you also know Dr. Gore? He is my wife's dentist and a friend of Dr. Cufone.

Laurel Road is one example of a lender that offers low interest rates for dental students. There is one lender that has even lower rates but I forgot the name and they aren't available in every state.

Laurel Road's latest variable interest rates on loans are as follows:
2.99 percent - 5 years
3.12 percent - 7 years
3.65 percent - 10 years
3.99 percent - 15 years
4.20 percent - 20 years

ADA members receive an extra 0.25 percent decrease on their student loan interest rates which more than covers the cost of membership.

Can you post the clinical requirements for 3rd and 4th year?

• During our 3rd year we do an OSCE every quarter to evaluate our clinical competence.
  • During 4th year we take competencies every few weeks on clinical topics like pediatrics, anesthesia, ortho, etc.
  • 3rd year students must pass a clinical competency that is based on the ADEX Manikin exam before they are allowed to sit for any regional boards.
  • 4th years students have to take a live patient practice board that is also based on ADEX before they can sit for the patient portion of any regional board.
  • Our school has a list of clinical competencies we are required to complete in order to graduate, which includes:
    • Emergency (extraction)
    • Complete denture
    • Implant restoration
    • Anterior crown
    • CAD/CAM
    • Posterior crown
    • Ridge preservation (bone graft)
    • Pediatrics (x2)
    • Laser
    • SRP
What’s your biggest piece of advice for an applicant?

About the actual application process:
Numbers matter a lot, but they aren't everything, and some schools care more about stats than others do. Not knowing much about you as an applicant, I can't give much advice here. But, I would tell anyone that they should work hard to get high grades and a good DAT score.

About interview day:
Be confident but not arrogant. It seems like a fine line perhaps, but it's easily recognizable in an applicant. Someone who's confident comes to their interview prepared, well-groomed, and ready to engage their peers and the interviewer in an open and honest way. Dentistry is a people profession, and how you handle social interactions on interview day is a part of how you will be evaluated.

Last edited:
Thank you! I am definitely going to stay in AZ and will work wherever I can find a good opportunity. Dr. Cufone is awesome, he teaches our CAD/CAM courses during our first two years; I don't know Dr. Shelley though. Do you also know Dr. Gore? He is my wife's dentist and a friend of Dr. Cufone.

Laurel Road is one example of a lender that offers low interest rates for dental students. There is one lender that has even lower rates but I forgot the name and they aren't available in every state.

Laurel Road's latest variable interest rates on loans are as follows:
2.99 percent - 5 years
3.12 percent - 7 years
3.65 percent - 10 years
3.99 percent - 15 years
4.20 percent - 20 years

ADA members receive an extra 0.25 percent decrease on their student loan interest rates which more than covers the cost of membership.

Yep. Familiar with Dr. Rod Gore. A quality instructor for your school.
Thanks for the info on the lenders.

Hi! I was wondering how diverse your class is? In terms of culture, backgrounds, majors, ages, etc.

What are some suggestions you’d make to the school now that you’re almost out?